Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Print multiple addresses on envelopes using a spreadsheet
Print multiple addresses on envelopes using a spreadsheet

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brkofdon
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Print multiple addresses on envelopes using a spreadsheet

I have an xls (Calc) sheet of addresses I want printed on envelopes. How would I set that up?

You typically in a text document (Writer) Insert>Envelope and fill in the specific information. But how would you do this for multiple addresses? Can you use a spreadsheet of addresses for this?

What is the database option in the Insert>Envelope window? Would this be the option where it pulls what information I want printed especially if there are multiple addresses?

I am new to neooffice and need to help my wife out with printing on envelopes.

Thanks
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject:

I've not done very much of this sort of thing, but this is how I would do it. It is based on the Using the Mail Merge Wizard page in NeoWiki.

1. Make your spreadsheet available as a data source by choosing Edit::Exchange Database… and finding and selecting your spreadsheet. I don't know if NeoOffice can use an xls spreadsheet - try it and see - otherwise you will need to open it in NeoOffice and save it as an ods document.
  2. Format your page to the envelope size you want (Format::Page) and get it set up.
  3. Make your data visible by choosing View::Data Sources, and in the left hand section of the Data Sources window select your spreadsheet. Your data should then appear in the right hand section of the Data Sources window.
  4. Choose which fields you want in your envelopes by dragging the relevant column headers to where you want them on your envelope. (If you check Field Names in the View menu it will show you the field names (!) otherwise it will show your data.)
  5. When your envelope is formatted as you want it then choose Print from the File menu. You will get a dialog which says that your document contains database fields and asks if you want to print a form letter. Click 'Yes'. This leads to a further dialog with relevant printing options including which records you want to print. Personally I would choose to send the output to a file at this point and save it as a single document so I could scan through for any errors before actually putting ink on paper.

Is this enough to get you started?

[ETA The main purpose of the Insert Envelope feature is to allow you to type a letter on (a) standard page(s) and then to insert an envelope at the beginning of your document, without having to create a separate document for it. This is a useful feature for some setups. You will find it documented in the User Guide (download link to the left of this post)]
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1