Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - using option & command keys for navigation on Mac
using option & command keys for navigation on Mac

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macunaima
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: using option & command keys for navigation on Mac

I know that NeoOffice doesn't allow option-key (alt-key) for word navigation, as is the standard for all Mac applications. This is not properly a question, but a complain that has been made by different users in this forum and elsewhere. It is very problematic for mac users that a text editor doesn't complies with basic Mac shortcuts for text navigation. I really don't understand why NeoOffice developpers didn't solve this simple stuff yet.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject:

This is an issue which looks superficially as though it ought to be really simple to solve, but is in fact not at all simple. The underlying OpenOffice code on which NeoOffice is based will not accept Alt/Option as a modifier key. See this NeoWiki entry (and the whole page) for suggested work rounds and for a link to a discussion of the underlying issue.

Limitations on resources for the NeoOffice project mean that there isn't scope to modify this within those limitations. It looks as though it might be fixed for OOo 3.2 and when that comes out it will in due course, I expect, filter into NeoOffice.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
The underlying OpenOffice code on which NeoOffice is based will not accept Alt/Option as a modifier key.

IIRC, this is a Java limitation. Anyway, OOo 3.0.1 does use some more Mac-like shortcuts (like Option-left and Option-right for word navigation).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: using option & command keys for navigation on Mac

macunaima wrote:
I know that NeoOffice doesn't allow option-key (alt-key) for word navigation, as is the standard for all Mac applications. This is not properly a question, but a complain that has been made by different users in this forum and elsewhere. It is very problematic for mac users that a text editor doesn't complies with basic Mac shortcuts for text navigation. I really don't understand why NeoOffice developpers didn't solve this simple stuff yet.

Really? I can use the Option-arrow keys to move between in NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 4.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
James3359 wrote:
The underlying OpenOffice code on which NeoOffice is based will not accept Alt/Option as a modifier key.

IIRC, this is a Java limitation. Anyway, OOo 3.0.1 does use some more Mac-like shortcuts (like Option-left and Option-right for word navigation).

Actually, it was never a Java limitation. Instead, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code did not have any support for the Mac OS X standard editing shortcuts until OpenOffice.org 3.0.

Since the OpenOffice.org engineers added this in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, NeoOffice 3.0 supports any shortcuts that OpenOffice.org supports OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 supports.

If NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 4 does not support a shortcut that OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 supports, let me know. But if a particular shortcut is not supported by OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, our limited donations and developer resources prevents us from being able to add it to the OpenOffice.org code and the original poster will need to file a feature request with OpenOffice.org to enhance their keyboard shortcut support.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 4 does not support a shortcut that OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 supports, let me know.

Indeed. Option-arrow works in 3.0 Patch 4 (Test 2), just like in OOo 3.0.1 (i.e. "word navigation").

However, Command-arrow (-left or -right) also navigates between words in Neo 3, whereas in Ooo 3.0.1, in will take you to the beginning or the end of the line (like in TextEdit).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
However, Command-arrow (-left or -right) also navigates between words in Neo 3, whereas in Ooo 3.0.1, in will take you to the beginning or the end of the line (like in TextEdit).

I suspect that there is a problem with all Command-plus-key Mac shortcuts as I found that the NeoOffice code is not getting any of the Cocoa events that I would expect. I suspect that ours or Java's menu code is intercepting the event.

I will investigate this particular Command-plus-key problem and will post again once I figure out what is happening.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I will investigate this particular Command-plus-key problem and will post again once I figure out what is happening.

I have opened bug 3496 to track this problem. When there is status to report from the bug it will be posted here.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Samwise,

I think that I have fixed this bug. Like I suspected, any Cocoa actions that have use the Command key were getting routed to the menus so I inserted some code to prevent this from happening if a Cocoa action that uses the Command key is supported by NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0-Patch-4-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0-Patch-4-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject:

This works nicely for me. Thank you very much, Patrick. I had remembered a discussion (on this thread, I think) and hadn't realised things had moved on. I am very pleased to have this functionality.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject:

Patch 4 Test 3 works for me too.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix in NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 5 which can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

Patrick
fbugnon
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I have included the fix in NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 5 (...)

Hi,

It was sort of funny to find out that Patch 5 was fixing a bug rather than creating one.... Smile, no offense.

I've been using NeoOffice since I have Mac and I guess I thought Command + Arrows Keys where supposed to do the word navigation. But now, after patch 5 everything seems awkward...

It might be just me, but it feels strange to me that:

1. Option + Arrow Keys => word navigation
2. Command + Arrow Keys => Home / End of each line

BUT, if I do the same while keeping Shift on (in order to select the text):

1. doesn't work at all
2. works as word navigation with text selection...

So, is this a problem or is it supposed to work this way?

As I said, it might just be the time it takes to get used to, but I really liked (was used to) how it was before...

Cheers,
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:

fbugnon wrote:
It might be just me, but it feels strange to me that:

1. Option + Arrow Keys => word navigation
2. Command + Arrow Keys => Home / End of each line

1. doesn't work at all

It is supposed to work this way. Bug 3496 was opened because NeoOffice 3.0 was treating some keyboard shortcuts differently than OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 which it is based on.

If you are interested in customizing your keyboard shortuts, you may be interested in this NeoWiki article. It contains instructions on how to change keyboard shortcuts.

--fran
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
fbugnon wrote:

1. doesn't work at all

It is supposed to work this way. Bug 3496 was opened because NeoOffice 3.0 was treating some keyboard shortcuts differently than OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 which it is based on.

Specifically, the underlying OOo code only implements the non-shifted versions of these shortcuts (which is a bug in the OOo code) rather than completely matching standard Mac OS X behavior.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2