Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Smart quotes / curly quotes vanish when changing fonts!
Smart quotes / curly quotes vanish when changing fonts!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stp
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Smart quotes / curly quotes vanish when changing fonts!

Here's my dilemma: Whenever I change fonts, either by changing the Paragraph Style or doing so manually via the dropdown menu, all the curly quotes ("smart quotes," "typographical quotes") in my document vanish, and are replaced with straight quotes. (These are fonts that definitely have curly quotes, because when I type them manually, AutoCorrect inserts them for me.)

In an attempt to fix this, I can select some text and use AutoFormat, but that does a whole bunch of other things I don't want, like replacing every paragraph with "First Line Indent" style (or "Text Body" style, apparently randomly) and a whole bunch of other junk, like changing my paragraph spacing.

So I go into the "Autocorrect..." Options tab and turn off "Replace Custom Styles." However, this also turns off custom quotes, even though "Replace standard quotes with custom quotes" (i.e. smart quotes, typographical quotes") is still checked and turned on!

Is there any way to AutoCorrect a selection without also AutoFormatting it? Is this a bug? Is there a workaround? Is there a way to change fonts without losing all the typographical quotes in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. I've searched the wiki, the forums, and the entire Internet for a solution, with no luck.
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject:

Sometimes it works to do a Find & Replace, with the double quote sin both boxes. The replacement will have the typographic (curly) quotes.
stp
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject:

shades: That's a good idea, but it doesn't seem to work for me, even in "Default" paragraph styled text and with "AutoFormat while Typing" turned on.

Some other things I've tried but don't work:

1) Searching for the regexp "*" and replacing it with "$0" <-- using curly quotes. The $0 gets replaced with the quotation mark, not with the contents of the wildcard.

2) Searching for \<" (or \<\", same result) and replacing with an open curly quote. The \< only appears to find the beginning of paragraphs, not the beginning of words. This may also be a bug.

3) Searching for "([:print:])*" and replacing with "$0" (curly quotes). This almost works: however, it finds the longest possible match string, not the shortest. This means that if there is more than one set of quotes in a paragraph, it will replace the beginning of the first quote and the end of the last quote. This may be a bug: the "+" regexp operator says explicitly that it always matches the longest possible string, but "*" does not. If "*" is indeed intended to match the shortest possible string, this is a bug.

I may simply have to give up, accept the "help" AutoFormat gives me (since it's tied to AutoCorrect for reasons unknown), and try to unmunge the formatting. However, it doesn't make any sense in the first place that changing fonts should destroy typographical quotes, since both fonts include them and AutoCorrect is perfectly happy to create them when I type in the new font.

This means that EVERY TIME I CHANGE FONTS I have to go through and redo the formatting of the entire book. This doesn't seem like reasonable or intended behavior.
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Can you attach a sample? And then which fonts you use to change?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1