Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Format of .doc files opened with Writer
Format of .doc files opened with Writer

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dancy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Format of .doc files opened with Writer

Writer 3.0 patch 5
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 Gig of Ram

When .doc files (MS Word 2003) are opened in Writer, (initial launch of NeoOffice) the first file is formatted correctly, the second and subsequent files appear to have a line spacing of 1.5, which, affects pagination, etc. Writer says the line spacing is 1. This document prints with a line spacing of about 1.5, so this is more than a display issue. Further, if the "good" file is closed and reopened, the line spacing on that "previously good" document appears to be 1.5 and prints as if it were. This behavior persists until NeoOffice is closed and then Quit. Also, this behavior is evident if only one document is opened, closed, and then reopened. The .doc documents all have headers & footers that seem to be unaffected by this behavior.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Format of .doc files opened with Writer

dancy wrote:
When .doc files (MS Word 2003) are opened in Writer, (initial launch of NeoOffice) the first file is formatted correctly, the second and subsequent files appear to have a line spacing of 1.5, which, affects pagination, etc. Writer says the line spacing is 1.

NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 6 has just been released. Can you try downloading and installing it from the following URL and let us know if it solves the spacing problem for you?:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

If you still see the spacing problem, can you attach a sample Microsoft Word 2003 file to this forum? With a sample file we can try and reproduce this behavior.

There are instructions on how to attach a file in the following trinity post:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6975

--fran
dancy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject:

I apologize for the delay in responding, Fran.

My initial post contained an error - I had indicated MS Word 2003 and it is, in fact, MS Word 2002, SP 3

I have applied 3.0's patches 6 & 7 and the results are the same. Thanks for your help.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject:

Thank you for providing sample documents.

I was not able to reproduce the line spacing problem you reported. I opened one document and then next. I then closed and reopened each document. The line spacing remained single spaced.

It is possible that there is a conflict in your NeoOffice 3.0 user preference files.

To test this theory, can you do the following steps and tell us if the line spacing still changes from single to 1.5 spacing?:

1. Quit NeoOffice

2. Move the following folders if they exist to your Desktop or Trash. Note: "~" mean your Home folder:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2

3. Restart NeoOffice

Does it work correctly after doing the above steps?

--fran
dancy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the quick response. I did as you requested and it had not effect. In case I was not clear in the beginning...these files are Word files that were opened in NeoOffice by double-clicking them in Finder or using the File-Open menu selection in Writer, so the conversion was done on the fly, so to speak. I did not have this problem with test Word documents that did not contain headers/footers .. they contained text only. Two final things - the spacing within the table in one of the documents remains intact and the spacing in headers and footer stays OK.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the additional information, unfortunately I still cannot reproduce any change in the single spacing in the body of the documents when one of the samples is closed and reopened in NeoOffice, or is not the initially opened document.

Are any other NeoOffice volunteers able to reproduce this?

dancy, what version of Mac OS X are you using? You can find this by selecting the Apple :: About This Mac menu.

--fran
dancy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject:

OS X version is 10.5.8. Another interesting detail I think I mentioned is that in the document that was "messed up" Writer was reporting that the spacing was 1, but it *looks* like 1.5 and prints as 1.5...

When the same process is repeated on my WIN XP, sp 3 machine using Star Office 8, update 12, all works as I would expect...

Thanks,
Dan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:

dancy wrote:
When the same process is repeated on my WIN XP, sp 3 machine using Star Office 8, update 12, all works as I would expect...

NeoOffice 3.0 is based on OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 which is, for the most part, what StarOffice 9 is based on. So, what we are trying to determine is whether or not this same bug occurs in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or StarOffice 9.

Do you have either of those versions installed on a any machine? If so, does the bug occur in any of those versions?

Patrick
dancy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, no, Patrick - neither of those packages are on any of my machines.

Thanks, again, for the quick responses.
Dan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject:

dancy wrote:
OS X version is 10.5.8. Another interesting detail I think I mentioned is that in the document that was "messed up" Writer was reporting that the spacing was 1, but it *looks* like 1.5 and prints as 1.5...

I think I know what might be happening. Since Writer says the spacing is 1 but it looks like 1.5, I suspect that the problem is the font that you are using.

Since you mentioned that you created these files in Word on a Windows machine, your document probably has been set to use a font that exists on Windows but does not exist on Mac OS X. In such cases, NeoOffice must substitute the non-existent font with a font that does exist on your Mac. As a result, if this "font fallback" process yields a really tall font like Apple's Zapfino font, line spacing of 1 will be larger than you expect.

To test this theory, select a section of text that looks like it has 1.5 line spacing and change the font to Arial or Times New Roman. Does the line spacing look normal after doing that?

Patrick
dancy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, Patrick, it looks like it was a font issue - great catch. I made the whole document Times New Roman (body, headers, footers) and the issue went away - it even worked with 11 point type, as well. I guess Neo just didn't like Cambria. I'll have to be less "artistic" about font selection Smile

Again, I appreciate the service - it was great - thanks!

Take care,
Dan
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1