Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Disable screen saver during presentation?
Disable screen saver during presentation?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
savys
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Disable screen saver during presentation?

Is there a way to set Impress so that the Mac's screen saver/energy saver screen dimming function is disabled? I keep having to wake the machine.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:

I'm not aware of any way of doing this through Impress. When I need to do it, I simply use the System Preferences on my Mac. You may need to use Energy Saver preferences and adjust the sleep options, and Desktop & Screen Saver preferences to adjust the screensaver.
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject:

See this conversation.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
See this conversation.

That thread will not help as that thread only talks about trying to prevent your Mac from going to sleep. Sleep and screen saver behavior are two different things.

The code we will add in that thread will have no affect on the screen saver. The screen saver is configured only through the System Preferences application.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject:

My mistake Embarassed I guess I was confusing that discussion with what I looked up about the Caffeeine app that blocks both things.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
My mistake Embarassed I guess I was confusing that discussion with what I looked up about the Caffeeine app that blocks both things.

I did not find any source code for that application and I have found no documentation from Apple on how to disable the screen saver from within an application. Are you sure that Caffeine does not use system hacks to accomplish this?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

It's entirely possible it is a system hack. I don't use it myself. I'd seen it mentioned in Macworld quite a while back, so I did some reading about it after seeing the thread I mentioned above, to see if it might be a solution. But I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be a system hack, so I opted not to suggest it. I only mentioned it above because it was the source of my confusion.

Lorinda
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject:

I've been playing around a little bit with VLC, and found out that it blocks both screensaver and sleep while playing no matter whether the app is in the foreground or background. Not sure how they did it, but theoretically it should be possible to find out as their code is open source.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
I've been playing around a little bit with VLC, and found out that it blocks both screensaver and sleep while playing no matter whether the app is in the foreground or background. Not sure how they did it, but theoretically it should be possible to find out as their code is open source.

While I appreciate you finding an open source application that does this, finding the code that does this will be a non-trivial amount of work. I have zero familiarity with the VLC code and I honestly doubt I will have several days available to walking through their code to find lines of code that do this. Do that work is similar to mapping the wiring harness in a car with a wiring diagram.

Apple clearly either has not documented the functions to do this or they have made it difficult to find so I doubt that the VLC code that does this will jump right out at me. But if someone has the time to pore through the VLC code and finds the functions, then please post the Mac OS X functions.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
While I appreciate you finding an open source application that does this, finding the code that does this will be a non-trivial amount of work.
I'm not a coder, so I ignore the amount of work that comes with this task. That's why I described it as a theoretical possibility.
pluby wrote:
I have zero familiarity with the VLC code and I honestly doubt I will have several days available to walking through their code to find lines of code that do this. Do that work is similar to mapping the wiring harness in a car with a wiring diagram.
As far as I can see they call the UpdateSystemActivity function for avoiding the screensaver to come up. It's documented here: http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/Carbon/Reference/Power_Manager/Reference/reference.html
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
As far as I can see they call the UpdateSystemActivity function for avoiding the screensaver to come up. It's documented here: http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/Carbon/Reference/Power_Manager/Reference/reference.html

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed. I am not an old Mac Classic programmer so the more arcane Carbon calls like this are difficult to find for me. I will try using that in the first NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access test patch that I post.

Patrick
savys
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject:

So, this conversation seems to have quickly gone over my head. Are we agreed that there is no existing quick solution to this problem?

I just taught a class with Impress, and despite the fact that, under system preferences, energy saver had both sleep and screen saver set to engage after 15 minutes, my screen dimmed after just a couple of idle minutes. Not sure what is going on, but it gets annoying, especially when using a remote several feet away from the laptop, to run over repeatedly wake it up again.

Do I gather from the comments above there is hope for a future solution? If so, many thanks in advance.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject:

Did you adjust both the Energy Saver preferences and the Desktop & Screen Saver preferences?
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
savys
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:

Yup. Both desktop/screen saver and energy saver set at 15 minutes. Everywhere possible, set at 15 minutes. Still does to sleep.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Set them all to "never". Note also that at least on my old tibook, when running on battery the backlight will dim even though the screensaver does not come on nor the machine goes to sleep. I wonder if maybe that is what you're seeing.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4