Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Feature comparison between OO and NeoOffice
Feature comparison between OO and NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UniqueUserID
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Feature comparison between OO and NeoOffice

I've been looking through the various NeoOffice documentation, to see if I can find a list of features that are unique to NeoOffice (i.e., don't exist in regular Open Office), but haven't managed to find anything. However, from what I have read on the various NeoOffice web pages, there are miscellaneous comments that seem to imply that NeoOffice has a few features that don't exist in basic OO. I'm mainly concerned with spreadsheet features.

The primary reason that I ask, is that if I send a spreadsheet file to someone who uses regular OO, I'm not sure that they would have the same add-in functions that are in NeoOffice.
Waluigi
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Feature_Comparison
UniqueUserID
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Hi Waluigi,
Thanks for the quick reply. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Now that brings up another question. The feature list indicates that NeoOffice has support for linear programming extensions, while OO Aqua possibly does not. I assume this is referring to the Solver function. I note that under the Solver Options, Engine Menu, the only engine listed is "NeoOffice Linear Solver." Does that mean that regular OO has no solver engine at all?

And another question: Are there any versions of OO that have a working non-linear solver?

I'm looking at writing a macro to perform a Downhill Simplex (Nelder & Mead) minimization, since it looks like such a thing does not exist.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject:

UniqueUserID wrote:
And another question: Are there any versions of OO that have a working non-linear solver?

Try OpenOffice.org 3.1.1. NeoOffice uses the older OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 plus Novell's linear programming extension code that was available a year ago. Since then, Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers have implemented the features in Novell's extension and, possibly, they may have added features.

Patrick
UniqueUserID
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick. I'll check it out, although I'm not sure that I'm desperate enough to use OOo.

My limited understanding of the optimization engines, is that there is a general interface that allows additional engines to be added. I think I also read that they exist as extension files. If that is true, does that mean that I could copy an engine extension file from OO 3.1.1 to NeoOffice?

(Sorry if my terminology is out to lunch here.)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:

No. Extensions that require OOo 3.1 or higher will not function.

ed
UniqueUserID
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Okay thanks.

I think I may just write a macro for the time being.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1