Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Patch 7 - Block move in Calc
Patch 7 - Block move in Calc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyomason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Patch 7 - Block move in Calc

Since I installed Patch 7, the keyboard commands in Calc for move to left block margin and move to right block margin (Command-left arrow and Command-right arrow) do not work. The keyboard commands for move to upper block margin and move to lower block margin (Command-up arrow and Command-down arrow) work just fine.

Please let me know when this bug is fixed so I can grab the patch.

Thanks.

Brian.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Actually, what you are seeing is the same behavior as NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code. Prior to NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 5, NeoOffice had bug 3496. A side effect of that bug allowed you to go to the beginning or end of a cell block using the Command-arrow keys.

With the fix for bug 3496, NeoOffice 3.0 Patch and later now behave the same as how the OpenOffice.org engineers designed the application so there is no "fix" to be made as that would break the documented behavior in both Writer, Presentation, and other documents windows.

This may sound confusing so let me explain what is happening. On Mac OS X, there are certain "action" key shortcuts that applications are supposed to respond to in a certain way. By default, Mac OS X maps Command-right In NeoOfffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code, Command-left arrow is mapped to the "beginning of line" action and Command-right arrow is mapped to the "end of line" action. Since Calc has no "lines", these actions do nothing in Calc.

Unfortunately, these Mac OS X action key shortcuts are to take precedence over any menu shortcuts and that is what we fixed in bug 3496: we made the Mac OS X action key shortcuts override any OpenOffice.org key shortcuts.

Fortunately, there is a workaround. Changing the Mac OS X action key shortcuts is quite difficult so I don't recommend doing that. Instead, the workaround is to map Calc's beginning and end of block key shortcuts to different key shortcuts.

You can do this by doing the following in NeoOffice Calc:

1. Select the Tools :: Customize menu and click on the Keyboard tab.

2. Select the Calc radio button, select Navigate in the Category list, and select "To Left Block Margin" in the Function list

3. Select an unused key shortcut (I used Command-Shift-N) in the Shortcut Keys list

4. Press the Modify button and press the OK button to make your new shortcut active

5. Repeat the above steps except in step 2, select "To Right Block Margin" in the Function list

Patrick
wyomason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Block move in Calc

Bummer!

Thanks for your reply.

When I go to the Tools -> Customize area and go to the Keyboard tab, there is nothing to indicate that I can't use Command-left arrow for Navigate to Left Block Margin in Calc. Except that when I choose to use this key combination, it doesn't work. Perhaps this needs to be changed.

Brian.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Block move in Calc

wyomason wrote:
When I go to the Tools -> Customize area and go to the Keyboard tab, there is nothing to indicate that I can't use Command-left arrow for Navigate to Left Block Margin in Calc. Except that when I choose to use this key combination, it doesn't work. Perhaps this needs to be changed

This cannot be changed as NeoOffice code has no way to know what action key shortcuts Mac OS X has reserved. These action key shortcuts are not fixed and can be configured by each user or systemwide yet Mac OS X provides no functions to obtain the user's current action key shortcuts that are reserved.

In other words, Mac OS X applications like NeoOffice are blind to these events. All that we know is that when one of these action shortcut keys are pressed, Mac OS X calls the applicable action function that we have registered at launch. So, we don't know the keys pressed. We only know that a "move to beginning of line" message has been sent.

BTW, I found some alternate shortcuts that you can use without having to use my steps. Note that these alternate shortcuts only work if you have at least one non-empty cell and you are using a desktop keyboard. They will not work if you are using a laptop keyboards. If you are using a desktop keyboard, you can press Home to move to the beginning of a cell block and End to move to the end.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I have some good news: I think that I have found a way to make the Command-right arrow and Command-left arrow keys work in Calc without breaking our fix for bug 3496.

I found that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code will reject the "go to beginning of line" and "go to end of line" actions so I fixed this issue by saving the pressed keys that were pressed at the time that the Mac OS X action was received and, if the OpenOffice.org code rejects the Mac OS X action, I send the OpenOffice.org code the pressed keys that I saved.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it is fixed for you? Note that you will need to set the key shortcuts in the Tools :: Configure dialog back to their original Command-right arrow and Command-left arrow shortcuts before you test my fix:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
wyomason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Patch 7 - Block move in Calc

Hi!

I would like to use the first link (Version 3 for the Intel chip), but the link is bad.

Thanks for continuing to work on this. It was going to involve retraining my muscle memory if you weren't able to solve this.

Brian.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch 7 - Block move in Calc

wyomason wrote:
I would like to use the first link (Version 3 for the Intel chip), but the link is bad.

Sorry about that. The links should work now.

Patrick
wyomason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Patch 7 - Block move in Calc

I get this message: You cannot install NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 1 on this volume. A NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access installation could not be found in this volume's /Applications folder. NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access must be installed in the /Applications folder before you can install this patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch 7 - Block move in Calc

wyomason wrote:
I get this message: You cannot install NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 1 on this volume. A NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access installation could not be found in this volume's /Applications folder. NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access must be installed in the /Applications folder before you can install this patch.

OK. That is my fault. I forgot that you are running NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7, not NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access. I keep (wrongly) assuming that all donors who can post are running the latest release.

You will definitely need to install NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access to install this test patch. For the most part, NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access is NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7 plus Snow Leopard bug fixes and restoration of NeoOffice 2.2.5's native file locking.

Since you qualify for the Early Access Program membership, if you want to try this test patch you can download that release from the Early Access Program download page.

Patrick
wyomason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Block move in Calc

That worked. I didn't test anything else, but I was able to successfully assign Command-right arrow and Command-left arrow to the block move right and left and those key combinations allowed me to jump right and left in my spreadsheet like I used to be able to do.

Thanks again. (It's past midnight here. I'll be back on the computer in the morning.)

Brian.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have some good news: I think that I have found a way to make the Command-right arrow and Command-left arrow keys work in Calc without breaking our fix for bug 3496.

Patrick is turning into his old self again Smile

1. user reports something
2. Patrick says it can't be done
3. Patrick does it anyway

-Oz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
1. user reports something
2. Patrick says it can't be done
3. Patrick does it anyway

You missed the step between steps 2 and 3: Patrick wakes up in the middle of the night with idea and spends a day bending and twisting the Java and OpenOffice.org code to test idea. After all that work, Patrick is mentally so goes to sleep. Next morning, Patrick spots typo in his new code that he missed last night when he was too tired to see clearly. Fixing typo makes new idea work. Smile

All joking aside, this is one of the benefits of having more development time available. In the last week I have actually had time to go back and relook at Java and OpenOffice.org limitations with fresh eyes and find ways to bend and twist the code to actually work the way our donors want. Up until our recent change in limiting support posts, I just did not have any time to do such work.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject:

I have a hat; can NeoOffice make rabbits hop out of it? Wink

Seriously, nice work, and I'm glad the changes are working out. Smile

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I have a hat; can NeoOffice make rabbits hop out of it? Wink

Is your hat big-endian? Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully that hat is as little endian makes the baby Jesus cry.

ed

/PowerPC forever!

(offtopic? Smile )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1