Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard
NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steuben
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

On a MacBook Pro (new model) with no prior NeoOffice installed, the Intel dmg 3.0.1 release fails to install with this message:

Code:
NeoOffice can’t be installed on this computer.
NeoOffice installer could not determine whether or not this is a PowerPC or an Intel-based machine.

I thought this error was resolved in 3.0.1?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

steuben wrote:
I thought this error was resolved in 3.0.1?

This is definitely a new error as you are the first to report this error so it would hard to have resolved something that no one reported in either our NeoOffice 3.0 or NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access releases.

Since I cannot reproduce this error on my Intel Macs, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Can you tell us the full name of the .dmg file that you downloaded?

2. Can you manually run the failing installer command by opening the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copying the following commands into the Terminal window, pressing the Return key, and pasting the output in this forum topic:

Code:
which uname
uname -p

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:

One more question: did you change your Mac to run its kernel in 64 bit mode? If so, NeoOffice 3.0.1 has definitely not been tested in 64 bit mode since Mac OS X will not allow booting in 64 bit mode for all but the most recently sold Intel Macs. All of our Intel Macs definitely won't boot in 64 bit mode so it is unkown if NeoOffice 3.0.1 will work at all in 64 bit mode.

If you are running 64 bit mode, I can give you some manual steps for tweaking the installer scripts to install once I get the output of the commands in my previous post, but I would not be suprised if it does not work since NeoOffice is a 32 bit application and relies on Java to be loaded in 32 bit mode.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I did some research and found that the "uname -p" command will be "x86_64" instead of "i386" that the installer expects when running Mac OS X in 64 bit mode so I have modified the installer and patch installer scripts to display a "NeoOffice can only be installed when Mac OS X is running in 32 bit mode" error if it detects that you are running Snow Leopard in 64 bit mode.

Unfortunately, since this problem was not found until after we released NeoOffice 3.0.1, my installer change will only be included in future releases and patches.

In the meantime, since the NeoOffice 3.0.1 installer will give a confusing error message, I have updated our main website in several places to note that we only support Mac OS X running in 32 bit mode.

If anyone is running Mac OS X in 64 bit mode and they would like to test NeoOffice in 64 bit mode, reboot Mac OS X in 32 bit mode by pressing the "3" and the "2" keys while booting and install NeoOffice 3.0.1. Then reboot in 64 bit mode by pressing the "6" and the "4" keys while booting.

Note: if Mac OS X will not boot when you try booting in 64 bit mode, it means your Mac machine does not have the minimum hardware that Apple requires to run in 64 bit mode.

Patrick
steuben
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

This is for a client's computer (not currently in my possession) so I'm waiting to hear back the results. Will update ASAP.
Mac OS 10.6.7
8 GB DDR3, 512 MB VRAM, 500 GB Seagate 7200.4
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

steuben wrote:
This is for a client's computer (not currently in my possession) so I'm waiting to hear back the results. Will update ASAP.

Here is some more information that may same you some steps: if the output from my second command (the "uname -p" command) is "x86_64", then the problem is that your client has booted Mac OS X into 64 bit mode. If that is the case, have them reboot into 32 bit mode using the steps in my last post and then reboot back into 64 bit mode after installing NeoOffice.

If you get different output from my second command, then there is a more obscure problem and we will need to investigate further.

Patrick
steuben
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

uname is found in its usual place (/usr/bin/uname); however, it produces nothing when I type 'uname -p'. No output whatsoever.
Mac OS 10.6.7
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

steuben wrote:
uname is found in its usual place (/usr/bin/uname); however, it produces nothing when I type 'uname -p'. No output whatsoever.

That is very unexpected. The "uname -p" should not be empty and Is it possible that the machine is non-Apple hardware (also known as a "hackintosh")?

Also, can you invoke "uname -a" in a Terminal window and post that? That may give us a clue as to why that machine is returning nothing for "uname -p".

Patrick
steuben
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

It's definitely a legit Mac and OS, though I just noticed that the /usr/bin/uname command is empty: it's got a size of zero. That would explain the blank output. Why it's blank is beyond me.

My next steps are to try to re-apply patch 10.6.1 to see if that doesn't restore the /usr/bin/uname command and, failing that, to install XCode with the UNIX utilities from the DVD. If that fails, I guess an archive & install are in order…

Mac OS 10.6.7
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3.0.1 Installation Fails on Snow Leopard

steuben wrote:
It's definitely a legit Mac and OS, though I just noticed that the /usr/bin/uname command is empty: it's got a size of zero. That would explain the blank output. Why it's blank is beyond me.

My next steps are to try to re-apply patch 10.6.1 to see if that doesn't restore the /usr/bin/uname command and, failing that, to install XCode with the UNIX utilities from the DVD. If that fails, I guess an archive & install are in order…

I suspect that the /usr/bin/uname command is not included in either the 10.6.1 system update or the XCode installer since it rarely changes so it is likely that you will have to do an Archive and Install. Sad

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject:

You might also be able to find and install uname from the original 10.6 DVD by using a tool like Pacifist and save yourself the archive and install. That said, uname might only be the tip of the iceberg and other bizarre problems might also be lurking in the current OS install.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1