NeoOffice :: View topic - Opening a NeoOffice file
Opening a NeoOffice file

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarenruof
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Opening a NeoOffice file

Hello,
Is it possible to improve the opening time of a file under NeoOffice?
As an example, I received an 800 Ko presentation file.
I tried it with PowerPoint already launched, and after 30 seconds, diaporama was starting.
With NeoOffice already launched, it took (times from begining):
a few seconds to get the title bar (then nothing happens)
45 seconds to get a white screen
1:45 seconds to get a grey screen
2:10 seconds to get the first image appearing
2:30 seconds before being able to launch the diaporama.
Of course, with PPS I didn't have the sound track, and I needed to kill PPS to exit, which were not the case with NeoOffice. But a little improvement in this field would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
André
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject:

There is undoubtedly a speed difference with NeoOffice. You might like to look at the Performance Comparison table in NeoWiki.

Your times do look a bit slower than *I* would expect - but I'm not a technical expert.

What version/patch no. of NeoOffice are you using and what is your system?

James

[iBook 1.33 GHz 1.5GB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11]

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
tarenruof
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Opening a NeoOffice file

Hello James,
I am working with a PB G4 1,5Ghz 1Go DDR SDRAM under OS.X.4.11 and using NeoOffice 3.0 patch 7.
Launching NeoOffice seems long, but it's not abnormal to me as all modules open at once. I would only appreciate a sign showing the launch is in progress, because sometimes I am not sure something is going on.
But when NeoOffice is already launched, there are still "long" times without any sign of "work in progress" before a particular module becomes available.
André
tarenruof
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Opening a NeoOffice file

Hello,
I must apologize.
My PB is working continuously and had not ben restarted since some days.
After a restart, I tried to open the same file, and now the opening time has been 35 seconds, almost the same as PPS.
So, bravo to NeoOffice which speed is similar to the competitors, and maintains it's advantage in sound track reading and closure of file.
And I keep this aspect in mind: restart from time to time.
Best regards,
André
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a NeoOffice file

tarenruof wrote:
My PB is working continuously and had not ben restarted since some days.
After a restart, I tried to open the same file, and now the opening time has been 35 seconds, almost the same as PPS.

If restarting makes NeoOffice run noticeably faster, that would usually indicate that before you rebooted your machine had one or more other applications running that were hogging most of your machine's CPU or memory.

If this happens again, the first thing to do is check for any CPU hogging applications by launching the /Applications/Utilites/Activity Monitor application, clicking on the CPU column to sort by CPU usage, and quitting any applications that are using more than 1% of CPU.

Does NeoOffice speed up after quitting all CPU hogging applications? If not, then let us know and we can give you other steps to try.

Also, I recommend that you upgrade to NeoOffice 3.0.1 from the NeoOffice download page. It will not be any faster than NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7, but it does contain some fixes for crashing bugs in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code that other users found after NeOffice 3.0 Patch 7 was released.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1