Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Graphic Objects Pasted into Writer Documents
Graphic Objects Pasted into Writer Documents

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Graphic Objects Pasted into Writer Documents

I have long Writer docs with many graphics objects pasted in from spreadsheets and drawing documents. They are pasted as GDI metafile objects.

The pasted graphic objects print perfectly in the Writer documents. However, the display of those objects is not that great. They look like they did using last year's OpenOffice.

I've attached a screen snapshot of part of one of my pages. The lines in the graphic object are all the same thickness and print perfectly; however, you can see how they look on my display. They appear to be two different thicknesses.

I'm just wondering if this will be fixed when NeoOffice is recompiled using newer versions of Open Office.

BTW--As a Mac user, the BEST thing about NeoOffice is that documents scroll much faster using the scroll wheel on a mouse. I've got my system preferences set for maximum mouse scrolling speed and in OpenOffice, the scrolling speed is glacial. Open Office doesn't seen to handle scroll wheel acceleration.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphic Objects Pasted into Writer Documents

noibs wrote:
The pasted graphic objects print perfectly in the Writer documents. However, the display of those objects is not that great. They look like they did using last year's OpenOffice.

NeoOffice 3.0.1 uses the OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code so I suspect what you are seeing is the lack of anti-aliased line drawing. Unfortunately, OpenOffice.org did not allow anti-aliased line and shape drawing until their 3.1 release. So, since we are still using the OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, we have to disable anti-aliased line drawing in our code. If my theory is correct, this problem should go away when we upgrade the latest OpenOffice.org 3.2.x release (we expect that will besometime in first half of 2010).

Below is an explanation why disabling anti-aliased line drawing causes what you see.

Since you cannot draw half a pixel width on a screen, anti-aliased line drawing is used to fake drawing lines that are slightly wider or narrower than a pixel. For example, anti-aliased drawing fakes drawing a half pixel wide line by drawing a full pixel wide line with the line color set to be partially transparent. This causes Mac OS X to round line widths to a whole number of pixels. Depending on the position of the line, a 1.5 pixel wide line may appear as 2 or 1 pixels wide which appears to be what is happening in your screen snapshot.

You don't see this problem when printing because printers support much higher resolutions than screens and so a 1.5 pixel wide line on the screen can translate into a 30 pixel wide line on printed paper. Also, if you save as PDF and open the PDF file in Preview or another PDF viewer application, you won't see a problem if the PDF viewer application supports anti-aliased drawing.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: THANKS!!!

Thanks so much for the reply. It completely answers my question.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject:

I forgot to mention that there is a way you can avoid this "anti-aliased drawing disabled" problem: increase the zoom percentage in your document. To increase the zoom percentage, Control-click on the zoom percentage in the status bar at the bottom of your document and increase the percentage.

Does that reduce the problem for you?

FYI. I have moved this topic to the NeoOffice Support forum as I think other users may find this workaround useful and it will be easier to find in that forum.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1