Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Menu item: "NeoOffice Mobile"
Menu item: "NeoOffice Mobile"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Menu item: "NeoOffice Mobile"

Would it be possible to make the new "NeoOffice Mobile" menu item optional - or at least to make it shorter: just "Mobile" or a phone icon? It's not something I use and it's made the total menu list wide enough to obliterate some of my menubar icons.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice Mobile is a shared extension and, as such, can be removed. Instructions on this thread.
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject:

Many thanks - that worked very smoothly. Sorry I bothered you by not having checked the earlier posts sufficiently carefully.

Richard
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject:

OK. No bother Smile
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Bump: NeoOffice Mobile Preference

I know how to disable the NeoOffice Mobile Menu--I do it after every upgrade. However, why not just make is a General preference?

Or, during the install process, ask the user if he/she wants to disable the NeoOffice Mobile menu.

I could be totally wrong (I often am), but it seems to more of a niche feature than one that everyone uses.

Thanks for your time.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Someone else may be along soon to give a definitive answer.

In the meantime my hunch is that it is relatively easy to build in the NeoMobile functionality using the existing extension capability in the underlying OOo codebase. This capability does not however include the ability to turn an extension on and off via the Preferences. Putting that ability into Preferences (even if possible) would require modification of the OOo codebase in a way which is beyond the resources of the NeoOffice project.

I don't know if it would be possible to offer users a choice whether or not to install the extension at the point of installing NeoOffice.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bump: NeoOffice Mobile Preference

noibs wrote:
I know how to disable the NeoOffice Mobile Menu--I do it after every upgrade. However, why not just make is a General preference?

Unfortunately, that is not possible with NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. When you install an extension, there are only two options: register a set of menus or don't register any. The OpenOffice.org code provides no way to dynamically turn the registered menus on and off.

If a future version of OpenOffice.org allows control of menus registered by an extension, then we can look at implementing a preference for this when we upgrade the NeoOffice code to whatever future version of OpenOffice.org supports this.

Although it is too late for NeoOffice 3.0.2, one thing that we can do while we wait for a future change to the OpenOffice.org code is to shorten the menu to "Mobile" or something like in the next full NeoOffice release so that the menu does not take up so much space.

noibs wrote:
I could be totally wrong (I often am), but it seems to more of a niche feature than one that everyone uses.

This is the problem with a large office suite: everyone uses only a small fraction of the features in the application but nearly everyone uses a different fraction. Sad

While you may not like or need the feature, Fran, Ed, I use it extensively as a way to collaboratively edit documents that anyone one of us creates. We use it because we couldn't keep track of different versions through e-mail and putting our documents in NeoOffice Mobile gave us reassurance that our documents were backed up in multiple places.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to mention one thing: as long as no one reports that there is a serious bug in the NeoOffice Mobile floating window, installing any NeoOffice 3.0.2 patches or test patch will not readd NeoOffice Mobile.

The reason for this is that we always limit patches to the bare minimum number of code files and if there are no bugs in the NeoOffice Mobile floating window, the NeoOffice Mobile extension will not be included in any patches.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1