NeoOffice :: View topic - Envelope Printing Problem
Envelope Printing Problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWT
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Envelope Printing Problem

Envelope Printing Problem.

Neoffice 3.0.1 Patch 1, on Mac Intel Core 2 10.6.2. All software updates are installed.

I can no longer print an envelope on my Epson Stylus Photo R230 inkjet printer. A4 pages are fine.

On attempting to print an envelope the error message is,
"Error:/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/rastertoescpll.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoespll failed"

I ran the R230 software uninstall which removed nil files but gave the message “ The uninstall was successful, however some files/folders could not be deleted because they are shared by other applications, are currently in use, or contain files not installed by this install program”

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669 the driver software was updated by Mac's software update.

As I can print envelopes from Word, does this message suggest a Neo Office or a printer problem?

Peter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Although it is hard to tell if it is a printer driver problem or not, the "rastertoespll failed" error indicates that Epson's print driver is not able to convert the PDF that NeoOffice's print operations send to the print driver.

To troubleshoot this further, can you try the following steps?:

1. Try printing a single envelope by selecting the File :: Print menu or the Print toolbar button. When the native print dialog appears, change the page range to "page 1 to 1" to only print the first page.

2. Press the Print button. Does the same error occur? If yes, continue to the next step.

3. If the same error occurs, repeat step 1 but this time press the "Preview" button. Does the Preview application open and is your envelope displayed? If yes, select the Preview application's Tools :: Get Info menu. In the dialog that appears, can you click on the Summary tab and tell us what is shown in "Page Size" field?

4. After noting the page size in step 3, try pressing the Preview application's Print button. Does the same error occur or does the envelope print OK from the Preview application?

Patrick
PWT
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

To troubleshoot this further, can you try the following steps?:

1. Try printing a single envelope by selecting the File :: Print menu or the Print toolbar button. When the native print dialog appears, change the page range to "page 1 to 1" to only print the first page.

2. Press the Print button. Does the same error occur? If yes, continue to the next step.

Thanks for your reply.

On printing “Page 1 to 1” I get the same error.

Quote:

3. If the same error occurs, repeat step 1 but this time press the "Preview" button. Does the Preview application open and is your envelope displayed? If yes, select the Preview application's Tools :: Get Info menu. In the dialog that appears, can you click on the Summary tab and tell us what is shown in "Page Size" field?

On “Print Preview” the envelope is displayed correctly. On selecting “Show Inspector” under tools a General Info window opens showing page size as “11 X 22 cm”.

Quote:

4. After noting the page size in step 3, try pressing the Preview application's Print button. Does the same error occur or does the envelope print OK from the Preview application?

On hitting the print button from “Preview” the same error again.

Peter.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject:

PWT wrote:
On hitting the print button from “Preview” the same error again.

That is bad news. If the print output displays properly in the Preview application and Preview gets the same error, then the problem is in the Epson print driver. Specifically, the NeoOffice and Preview applications are sending a valid PDF file to the Epson driver and the Epson driver is failing to convert the PDF file to the Epson printer's native printing format.

Since this is a printer driver problem, I did a quick Google search for "rastertoespll failed" and found that removing and readding the printer solved the problem for some users.

Can you try removing and readding your Epson printer by doing the following steps?:

1. Launch the System Preferences application and click on the "Print & FAX" icon

2. In the "Print & FAX" panel, select your Epson printer and press the "-" icon to remove the printer

3. Readd your Epson printer by pressing the "+" icon and selecting your printer

Are you able to readd your Epson printer? If so, can you print from either NeoOffice or the Preview applications?

Patrick
PWT
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject:

I've deleted and re-added the printer, but alas I still have the same symptoms.

As you've suggested, this does look like more and more like a printer problem rather than a Neo-office problem per se.

Thanks for your very detailed and timely help.

I think it's time this 80 year old went out and brought a new printer. Any recommendations ?

Smile
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject:

Well, unless you're wedded to inkjets/colour, I'd recommend one of the OKI LED printers. Like a laser printer, but uses LED technology instead, is cheaper to run, and much less pollutive (no laser, so no ozone). I have the B410 and it's great - and does duplex printing, which also saves paper.
If you want colour, they do colour LED printers too. It seems more expensive when you first buy them compared to an inkjet, but the running costs are a much, much lower. Plus, smudgeproof!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject:

PWT wrote:
I think it's time this 80 year old went out and brought a new printer. Any recommendations ?

Before you give up on your current printer, you may want to try installing the Gutenprint print driver package from the Gutenprint website. Then, after installing the print driver package, remove your printer and readd it in the System Preferences application except this time select Gutenprint's Epson print driver from the list instead of the built-in Epson print driver.

I use the Gutenprint drivers for my ancient HP Laserjet 4. Hopefully they will work for your printer as well.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1