· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - exported EMF corrupted
exported EMF corrupted

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: exported EMF corrupted

I think I have commented on EMF export earlier, but I have a Draw document that I cannot export properly.

I am attaching the document. To make the EMF, select the tables on the first page and export the selection to .emf on original (vector) size.

Word 2004 for Mac says the file is corrupted. Word 2003 for PC can use it, but positions some of the letters in the wrong place, which makes it ugly and hard to understand the graphic.

I presume this is an OOo bug, but I am not sure. I also wonder if this is reproducible. I checked my machine for font conflicts, but resolving those and rebooting did not solve my problem.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: exported EMF corrupted

ovvldc wrote:
Word 2004 for Mac says the file is corrupted. Word 2003 for PC can use it, but positions some of the letters in the wrong place, which makes it ugly and hard to understand the graphic.

The bad news is that I can reproduce this bug in both NeoOffice 3.0.1 and OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 so this is definitely an OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 bug. When I open your attached .odg document in either application and export to .emf format, I cannot insert the .emf file into a Mac Word 2004 document. Mac Word 2008 can open both files, but not Mac Word 2004.

The good news is that while your .emf exported from NeoOffice 3.0.1 has very obvious glyph kerning errors, the .emf exported from OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 does not so I will investigate this NeoOffice 3.0.1 glyph kerning bug further.

Note: to test the glyph kerning problem, I had to insert the exported .emf files into a Mac Word 2008 document. Since I found that .emf files created in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 can be inserted inot a Mac Word 2004 document, I will investigate backporting the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 .emf export code to fix both the NeoOffice 3.0.1 glyph kerning bug and the OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 corrupted .emf bug.

Edit by pluby: delete stray paragraphs accidentally copied from another forum topic

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: exported EMF corrupted

pluby wrote:
The good news is that while your .emf exported from NeoOffice 3.0.1 has very obvious glyph kerning errors, the .emf exported from OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 does not so I will investigate this NeoOffice 3.0.1 glyph kerning bug further.

I did some experimenting and what I found is that I can only reproduce the glyph kerning problems only with the .emf file that you attached. If I create a new .emf with the latest NeoOffice 3.0.1 test patch or with OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, there are no glyph kerning problems when I insert the .emf file into a Mac Word 2008 document.

Can you try exporting to .emf again and in the EMF options dialog that appears after you Save As dialog, can you set the Mode to "Original"? Does that eliminate the glyph kerning problems when you insert the file in Windows Word 2003?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject:

I did export it in 'original', three times now Sad.

Perhaps I should just rewrite the table in Word. I try to use NeoOffice as much as I can, but my thesis is on Windows, so I have little choice in the matter.

Thanks for looking into it. At least in half a year we can expect EMFs to be fairly clean Smile.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Perhaps I should just rewrite the table in Word. I try to use NeoOffice as much as I can, but my thesis is on Windows, so I have little choice in the matter.

I opened your .odg file again this morning and I noticed that you are using the Microsoft Office Calibri font throughout your document. IIRC, the Calibri font was not included in Microsoft Office until their 2007 and 2008 versions.

My theory is that one of your machines has that font and the other does not and since .emf files do not embed the actual font like .pdf files do, the machine without Calibri is using a random substitute font with different glyph kerning and that is causing your glyph kerning problems.

To test my theory, change the font through your document to Arial, save as .emf, and then insert the .emf file into a Windows Word document. Does the glyph kerning look better?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject:

I will try later, but it is a good working theory. I am not sure if my Windows installation (virtual machine) has the proper Calibri font installed.

In any case, my Mac does, taken from a legal office 2008 installation. I downgraded to 2004 because I really dislike the disjointed approach to the 2008 interface.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:

Can you also try opening the attached .emf file in Windows Word 2003? This .emf file was exported from your .odg file in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 on my Mac (which has the Calibri font).

What I would like to know is if you see the same glyph kerning problems in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 .emf files.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject:

OK, I opened your .emf file in Word 2004 for Mac, where it displayed just fine, and in Word 2003 for PC, where it gave exactly the same problem as before.

I checked and that machine has the Calibri font on it, and it is the same 2006 version that my colleague has on her machine with Office 2007 installed.

So, presumably, the PC version of the font contains some messed up kerning. Or is there another explanation?

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
So, presumably, the PC version of the font contains some messed up kerning. Or is there another explanation?

More likely is that the kerning of the PC version of the font is just slightly different thatn the Mac version.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1