Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Help!! NeoOfice not printing
Help!! NeoOfice not printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugonin3107
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Help!! NeoOfice not printing

Help!! NeoOffice not printing

I have been using NeoOffice for 8-9 years, for last 3-4 on this MacBook. In general I don't print much, but I cannot get it to print on Epson C44 or Stylus DX4200 (in three different locations).
So I have been resorting to MS word to print -- obviously an anethema!

I have repeatedly searched preferences, etc., etc. Surely it must be obvious, but where........?

Thanks
H
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject:

Over the years we have found that printing problems can arise from a variety of causes so can you help us troubleshoot the problem by answering the following questions?:

1. Select the Help :: About menu in NeoOffice. What version is displayed?

2. Select the Apple icon :: About This Mac menu. What Mac OS X version is displayed?

3. In NeoOffice, select the File :: Print menu or press to the Print toolbar button. In the print dialog that appears, press the Preview button instead of the Print button. Does Apple's Preview application open and display your document? If yes, try to print it by selecting the File :: Print menu in the Preview application. Does the printing work from the Preview application or does printing fail like in NeoOffice?

Patrick
hugonin3107
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject:

patrick / pluby
Thanks for speedy reply!
I have:

NeoOffice 3.0.1 patch 1

Mac OSX Version 10.4.11

As I said, i have never printed for a while...I have just now reloaded printer driver (although I did not newly download from source)

And I just now re-proved that I CAN print spreadsheet, but not text!

I have tried all you suggested:
with normal view of text: print using icon and menu
from preview: print using icon and menu

The tiny "printing" window shows instantaneously and then disappears,
The C44 printer window does NOT show that it has received print command.

-- seems very odd! Any suggestions?

Thanks
H[/b]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:

hugonin3107 wrote:
I have tried all you suggested:
with normal view of text: print using icon and menu
from preview: print using icon and menu

The tiny "printing" window shows instantaneously and then disappears,
The C44 printer window does NOT show that it has received print command.

If I understand the above correctly, you are saying that your document looks correct in Apple's Preview application but Preview fails to print just like NeoOffice. If my understanding is correct, this indicates that the problem is your printer's "print driver" software is failing.

On Mac OS X, applications print by creating a temporary file in PDF format and this PDF file is sent to the Mac OS X print manager. The Mac OS X print manager, in turn, loads the print driver software for your printer and the print driver software then tries to convert the PDF file into a the format that your printer understands.

Since the Preview application can display your print output, we know that NeoOffice is sending valid PDF to your printer. So the problem is that your printer's print driver has a bug that is causing it to fail to convert the PDF that NeoOffice or Preview is sending to it.

In cases like yours, the only solution is to find and install updated print driver software. I checked Epson's website and the bad news is that Epson has not released any updates for Mac OS X 10.4.x since 2006 so Epson is likely no longer be supporting your Mac OS X version. Sad

Even though Epson may no longer support your version of Mac OS X, you may want to try installing the Gutenprint print driver package from the Gutenprint website. Then, after installing the print driver package, remove your printer and readd it in the System Preferences application except this time select Gutenprint's Epson print driver from the list instead of the built-in Epson print driver.

I have found that Gutenprint's print driver software is much more capable at converting the PDF that Mac applications send to printers and I use the Gutenprint drivers for my ancient HP Laserjet 4 on my Mac OS X 10.4.11 machine. Hopefully they will work for your printer as well.

Does using Gutenprint's Epson print driver software change anything for you?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1