Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.0.2 Writer - Hyphenation/German
3.0.2 Writer - Hyphenation/German

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel95
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: 3.0.2 Writer - Hyphenation/German

I was excited to get the all new version 3.0.2 (German) installed on my MacBook – thanks to the developers for all the work they put in! And then I was disappointed that automatic hyphenation was gone. It took me some time of searching until I found my problem addressed in the post from
Oct 16, 2009: "Hyphenation … missing since 3.0 patch 7". Wouldn't it be possible to get a hint already when downloading, since this is a known problem? Isn't there a way of integrating the frami-wordbook in the installation process so that you can start working right away instead of encountering a problem and spending time for looking for a solution? If I hadn't registered here I still wouldn't know how to get hyphenation working with my new NeoOffice (worked fine in 2.2.5).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 3.0.2 Writer - Hyphenation/German

daniel95 wrote:
I was excited to get the all new version 3.0.2 (German) installed on my MacBook – thanks to the developers for all the work they put in! And then I was disappointed that automatic hyphenation was gone. It took me some time of searching until I found my problem addressed in the post from
Oct 16, 2009: "Hyphenation … missing since 3.0 patch 7". Wouldn't it be possible to get a hint already when downloading, since this is a known problem? Isn't there a way of integrating the frami-wordbook in the installation process so that you can start working right away instead of encountering a problem and spending time for looking for a solution? If I hadn't registered here I still wouldn't know how to get hyphenation working with my new NeoOffice (worked fine in 2.2.5).

Sorry that the massive changes in NeoOffice's undelrying OpenOffice.org code surprised you but a bold hint had been on our site for nearly a year. Only since the release of NeoOffice 3.0.2 last week did we finally decide to remove the following warning in order to reclaim the limited space that that warning was using on our download page:

Quote:
Warning: Some of the features in NeoOffice 2.2.6 have changed and behave differently in NeoOffice 3.0.2. These feature changes are due to feature changes in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code and cannot be undone. So if you rely on NeoOffice 2.2.6 for critical work, we recommend that you take some the time to get accustomed to NeoOffice 3.0.2 before using it for critical work. NeoOffice 2.2.6 is still supported and you can download it from the [url="http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/olddownload.php?fragment=download"]NeoOffice 2.2.6 download page[/url].

I understand that there are probably still a small number of NeoOffice 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 users out there so we still have this NeoWiki article on our site.

However, a year is a long time to tie up so much space on the download page for an ever shrinking pool of users that have not yet made the transition to the latest NeoOffice 3.0.x version. We really needed that space when Apple released Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard last fall but we kept the upgrade warning on the page to give NeoOffice 2.2.x users a full year to upgrade.

So why not preinstall hyphenation like was done in NeoOffice 2.2.x? The primary reason we do not do that is because hyphenation and thesaurus extensions are very large in size and adding only a few languages would cause a massive increase in the download size of NeoOffice.

Bigger download size means a very sharp rise in bandwidth costs for our volunteer mirror sites. Our volunteer mirror sites have a fixed amount of bandwidth to donate and without their donated bandwidth, we would not be able to provide free downloads for our users. This is also the reason we put all language localizations into separate language packs: to reduce the cost of mirroring NeoOffice.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

BTW, we do have the following text on how to install spellcheckers in NeoOffice 3.0.x on the language pack download page. We could easily change "will not add spellchecking support" to "will add spellchecking, hyphenation, or thesaurus support" to make the install steps easier to find:

Quote:
Please note that installing a language pack will not add spellchecking support for a language. To add spellchecking support for a language, launch NeoOffice and select the Tools :: Language :: More Dictionaries Online... menu.

If you want us to change the above text, can you tell us what we should change in the following German text on our website?:

Quote:
Bitte beachten Sie, dass das Installieren eines Sprachpakets nicht die Rechtschreibprüfung für die entsprechende Sprache hinzufügt. Um die Rechtschreibprüfung für eine Sprache zu installieren, starten Sie NeoOffice und wählen Extras :: Sprache :: Weitere Wörterbücher im Internet...-Menü.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:

FYI, I have added an additional phrase to the Using Spellcheck in NeoOffice article to further clarify that "ships with a very limited number of OpenOffice.org writing tools" also means "fewer than shipped in NeoOffice 2.x".

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
FYI, I have added an additional phrase to the Using Spellcheck in NeoOffice article to further clarify that "ships with a very limited number of OpenOffice.org writing tools" also means "fewer than shipped in NeoOffice 2.x".

Thanks Smokey.

FWIW, I think that only a few languages in NeoOffice 2.2.x's underlying OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 code included hyphenation bundles so it still seems strange to me that OpenOffice.org's largely German engineering team removed the German hyphenation bundle. From what I can tell, many German users use hyphenation quite frequently so it seems odd that they would remove the German hyphenation bundle.

Update by pluby: I think I have a theory why Oracle's OpenOffice.org engineers removed the German spellchecking, hyphenation, and thesaurus bundles: there are at least 6 different bundles to choose from now and each is several megabytes in size.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1