Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - drawing document not printing according to margin settings
drawing document not printing according to margin settings

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtulipc
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: drawing document not printing according to margin settings

I have a drawing document set to .25 margins all the way around the page, but it prints as if the bottom margin is set at 5/8". In other words, it's cutting off the bottom of the page.
I've contacted customer service for my printer, and they insist it has to be the application I'm using. Is there some margin setting other than the one from "Format" and "Page" that I don't know about?
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject:

What paper size have you chosen for your document? What paper size are you using?

I think you might gett this effect if your paper size is set for Letter, but you are using A4 paper. (It would also mean, I think, that your side margins will be 3-3mm too big.)

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
mtulipc
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:

I am using 8 1/2 x 11" paper and it is set for 8 1/2 x 11" paper (letter).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject:

To test James3359's theory is the cause of the problem, can you try the following steps?:

1. Select the File :: Print menu or press the Print toolbar button.

2. In the Print dialog that appears, press the Preview button to have the print output open in the Mac OS X Preview application.

Does the margin appear to be cutting off the content in the bottom of the Preview application window? If not, press the Print button in the Preview application window. Does the output get cut off when printed?

Patrick
mtulipc
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:

It looks perfect in the preview--nothing is cut off. When I print, it's cut off.
Also, for kicks, I used the same paper but set it at the A4 setting, and it printed right to the end of the page where it would otherwise be cut off on the Letter setting. So it CAN print to the end of the page, it just WON'T in the Letter setting.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:

mtulipc wrote:
It looks perfect in the preview--nothing is cut off. When I print, it's cut off.
Also, for kicks, I used the same paper but set it at the A4 setting, and it printed right to the end of the page where it would otherwise be cut off on the Letter setting. So it CAN print to the end of the page, it just WON'T in the Letter setting.

If nothing is cut off in the Preview application window but it gets cut off when you send it to the printer, then that means the problem is with your printer's printer driver software.

The printer driver software is the software that Mac OS X uses to convert the PDF output that NeoOffice and other applications send to the Mac OS X printing subsystem. Mac OS X then uses the printer driver software for your printer to convert the PDF to the native format that your printer expects. It is during that conversion process that the failure is occurring.

In most cases, printer driver software problems are due to one or more of the following:

1. Assigning the wrong printer model. Check that you have specified the correct printer model by launching the System Preferences application, click on the Print & FAX icon, click on your printer, and check that the "Kind" field in the panel on the right exactly matches your printer.

2. If you have assigned the correct printer model, then the next thing to check is if you are using the latest printer driver software from the printer manufacturer.

3. If you have the latest printer driver software, then the next most likely case is that the printer driver software for your version of Mac OS X has bugs. Hopefully this is not the case as the only solution for this is to report a bug with whomever created the printer driver software (usually either Apple or the printer manufacturer)

Can you tell us what version of Mac OS X you are using and the manufacturer and model of your printer? That might give us a better idea whether #2 or #3 are more likely the cause of your printing problems.

Patrick
mtulipc
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:

Ugh, it sounds like #3 is the most likely out of the options you gave. I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8, and the printer is an HP Photosmart 8250.
1. There is only one printer assigned to this computer, and it's this one.
2. I've been through every possibility with HP customer service, including downloading the latest software for this printer.
3. What do I do for the next step? Take it into Apple, or just report the bug online?
Thanks for your help, by the way.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject:

mtulipc wrote:
3. What do I do for the next step? Take it into Apple, or just report the bug online?

One thing that you might try to using someone else's printer driver software for your HP printer. For many printers, you have choice as to which printer driver to use. However, in the case HP printers the open source, volunteer-run Gimp-Print project provides alternate printer drivers for Mac OS X. I use the Gimp-Print drivers to print to my ancient HP LaserJet 4P.

If you install the Gimp-Print software, you will need to delete and readd your printer in the System Preference's Print & FAX panel after you install the software. When you readd your printer, look for a model that matches your model and has "Gutenprint" in the model name.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
mtulipc
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I've been playing around with it, and I actually decided to set the page to Legal size, still using the 8.5x11 paper. Then I moved all the data on the page into position so that it ends up printing out the way I want it, thereby "tricking" the printer into printing outside that margin it keeps cutting off. Kind of a hassle since I'm only doing that for one of two pages, but it's printed now so I'm happy.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me figure out the problem, even if it's not completely "fixed".
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1