· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Tab Bar Trouble
Tab Bar Trouble

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Tab Bar Trouble

I just opened a new document in Writer, inserted a header, entered the first word, went down ("return") one line to place a Bodoni Ornament cluster under the word just entered, then after hitting "return" for a new line, attempted to set up the indent markers and tab stops for the layout I wanted. They would not move … except for tab markers that appeared everytime I clicked on the bar (as they should). I have been unable to click-drag-anything on the tab bar.

This is not a problem with the 'normal' template, as I opened another (blank) document and all tab-bar functions performed correctly. Any suggestions as to what has happened would be gratefully received: I'd like to avoid having to re-type the document in question and avoid a repeat in the future.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject:

I cannot reproduce this on my machine. I inserted a header in a new document, pressed the return key so that the cursor was on the header's second line, and then tried to move the arrows in the tab bar. The tab bar moved fine.

Is there anything that I am doing differently than you?

Patrick
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

It was not the header specifically, but tab-bar operation in the whole document. There were also other problems: The font displayed in the formatting bar did not correspond to the text selected e.g. the Bodoni Ornaments displayed as Lucida Bright (the text font) much of the time, BUT, occasionally this was reversed - the text displayed as Bodoni; Each line of text behaved as a separate paragraph, despite 'wrapping' from line to line as it was typed; attempts to select and format the indent for all lines was unsuccessful - at first, only the first line indented, and then when attempting to indent a line at a time the result was chaotic (I could see no obvious pattern). I tried closing the document and reopening it, to no effect. I cannot recall if I closed the application and reopened it - don't think so.

When I re-opened the document (and therefore app.), after having shut down the computer for the night, all appears to have resolved itself. The obvious conclusion is that, should something similar occur again, first close the document and the application, re-launch the app. and re-open the document. If the problem is not resolved, re-boot the computer.

However, I would have thought something was not functioning correctly in the first place. If this occurs again, would it help to send a copy of the document (or is there a relevant log)?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Attaching a copy of the document would definitely be helpful. If you can save it right after you encounter the problem and attach that copy of the document, I think that would be ideal.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:

GridLox wrote:
It was not the header specifically, but tab-bar operation in the whole document. There were also other problems: The font displayed in the formatting bar did not correspond to the text selected e.g. the Bodoni Ornaments displayed as Lucida Bright (the text font) much of the time, BUT, occasionally this was reversed - the text displayed as Bodoni; Each line of text behaved as a separate paragraph, despite 'wrapping' from line to line as it was typed; attempts to select and format the indent for all lines was unsuccessful - at first, only the first line indented, and then when attempting to indent a line at a time the result was chaotic (I could see no obvious pattern). I tried closing the document and reopening it, to no effect. I cannot recall if I closed the application and reopened it - don't think so.

The above behavior sounds like the Mac OS X font manager is having problems with the Bodoni Ornaments font that you are using. When NeoOffice detects that a font is unusable, NeoOffice will use the first font that it finds as a substitute "fallback" font.

IIRC, Apple did not bundle any Bodoni fonts with Mac OS X so have you checked so can you launch the /Applications/Font Book application and validate your fonts using the steps in this NeoWiki article?

Does the Font Book application mark any fonts as having errors? If so, does this problem still occur after disabling or removing those fonts?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Today I encountered similar tab bar problems on my machine while fixing bug 3592. After fix that bug, which also appeared in Patch 1, I have not yet seen any of the problems reoccur so I am hoping that the fix for that other bug also fixes your problem.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the fix for that other bug also fixes your problem?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-1-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for that other bug in NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 2.

The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Please let us know if your problem is still not fixed in NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 2.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1