Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Serious Problem with Patch
Serious Problem with Patch

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Serious Problem with Patch

I have a serious problem. The video on my MacBook Air running 10.6.2 crashed during the installation of the latest patch. Is there a way around this?
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: More Information on video problem

Neither Safe Boot nor Single User will come up for use.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Serious Problem with Patch

DB wrote:
I have a serious problem. The video on my MacBook Air running 10.6.2 crashed during the installation of the latest patch. Is there a way around this?

FYI. I have moved this to the NeoOffice Support forum as this is not a NeoOffice Mobile issue.

I do not understand your problem. There is no video in the patch installer. The patch installer merely copies files into your NeoOffice installation.

The NeoOffice patch installer does not change any system files or any files in other applications so if you are having problems with other applications or cannot boot your computer, I suspect that you are having a much deeper problem with your Mac.

We cannot diagnose Mac OS X system problems so if you cannot boot your Mac, I highly recommend that you have your machine looked at by a professional Mac repair technician as it is very likely that your hard drive or other hardware is failing. Hard drives do wear out and fail but in some cases, a professional Mac repair technician can install a new disk and recover many of the files on a failed hard disk.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Before you send your machine to a Mac repair technician, you might try leaving your machine off for an hour and then try rebooting.

I suggest this because MacBook Air machines are notorious for overheating and when they overheat (running video is very CPU intensive and will generate lots of heat), the CPUs will disable themselves until they cool down.

This is a self-protection feature in the MacBook Air's hardware to prevent damage to your machine due to its inability to shed heat as well as the larger Mac laptops and desktop machines.

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: It is a hardware problem.

Thanks Patrick,

You are right that the problem is not related to Neooffice. It was apparently just a coincidence that it arose just as I was applying the patch. It is not related to heating, however. My Air is a later model with solid state drive and I have had no problem with overheating, even during streaming video.

Now I am waiting to see if Apple will honor its warranty.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject:

I don't know if this is something that you should try or not, but in a quick Google search I found this Mac user's blog.

They describe how they worked around similar video problems on their MacBook Air. I don't know if their solution is a good one or what risks, if any, are associated with their solution but I thought it might be helpful reading.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1