Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't print; then can't quit
Can't print; then can't quit

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Can't print; then can't quit

I'm running NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 2 under MacOS 10.6.2 on an early Intel iMac. NeoOffice lets me open files, but when I try to print them, they never make it to my print queue. Then when I try to quit NeoOffice, I get the SBBoD and have to force quit.

OpenOffice 3.2.0 seems to work fine so far.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't print; then can't quit

IdahoBackwoods wrote:
I'm running NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 2 under MacOS 10.6.2 on an early Intel iMac. NeoOffice lets me open files, but when I try to print them, they never make it to my print queue. Then when I try to quit NeoOffice, I get the SBBoD and have to force quit.

I sounds like NeoOffice is hanging at some point in the print process. To help us investigate this problem, can you collect a "sample" of the NeoOffice process when the Mac OS X "spinning beach ball" appears using the steps in this NeoWiki article?

Once you obtain a sample file using the Activity Monitor application, please attach it to your post using the steps in this post. Please don't paste the sample as pasting it will mess up the format of the output in the sample file.

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Here's a sample from ActivityMonitor.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I think that I see what is causing the hanging: the Mac OS X print functions that we use are trying to connect to a networked printer.

Unlike OpenOffice.org, we use Apple's Java print functions and those functions appear to try to determine which of your registered printers are active before actually printing. So, can you launch the System Preferences application, click on the "Print & Fax" icon, and uncheck the checkboxes next to any printers that are not directly connected to your machine?

Does that stop the hanging? If not, can you attach a new sample that I can look at to see if the hanging has moved to a different place in the NeoOffice code?

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject:

We only have one printer (a Canon iP4500), and it is plugged into our Apple Extreme Base Station. So yes, it is a networked printer, and my wife and I both print to it. If I uncheck the "sharing" box for the printer, I get the sample that I've attached.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject:

IdahoBackwoods wrote:
We only have one printer (a Canon iP4500), and it is plugged into our Apple Extreme Base Station. So yes, it is a networked printer, and my wife and I both print to it. If I uncheck the "sharing" box for the printer, I get the sample that I've attached.

Your latest sample looks the same the same as the first. What is happening is that the Mac OS X print function that we use is blocked trying to connect to your printer. Your sample cannot tell us why your Mac OS X cannot connect to your printer, but we we do know is that this particular function will block for 2 minutes until it gives up.

Since this hanging is occurring in a Mac OS X function, can you try the following?:

1. Launch the /Applications/TextEdit application and type a few words

2. Select the TextEdit applications File :: Print menu and then press the Print button

Does the page output immediately or does it take more than 2 minutes before it is sent to the printer?

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Since this hanging is occurring in a Mac OS X function, can you try the following?:

1. Launch the /Applications/TextEdit application and type a few words

2. Select the TextEdit applications File :: Print menu and then press the Print button

Does the page output immediately or does it take more than 2 minutes before it is sent to the printer?

Patrick

I did that, and it printed immediately, as do our web browsers and OpenOffice.
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Here's a sample from when I printed successfully with TextEdit.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject:

IdahoBackwoods wrote:
Here's a sample from when I printed successfully with TextEdit.

TextEdit is definitely not invoking the function that is hanging. It appears that this may be a bug in Apple's Java code as I found that the following function is the one that is causing this hanging behavior:

Java_sun_print_CUPSPrinter_canConnect

It seems that one applications like NeoOffice that use Apple's Java to do printing are affected by this bug.

I am not sure if I can force Apple's Java to not use this function, but let me look at Apple's Java code over the next day or two to see if there is some way to force Apple's Java to bypass this function.

In the meantime, does printing work in NeoOffice if you wait 2 or 3 minutes? If so, then this function is at least eventually giving up after a period of time.

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I hit command-P in NeoOffice and waited five minutes, but nothing happened. Then, as soon as I opened ActivityMonitor, the printer began printing. It had been 5min 10secs when that happened. I don't know whether it was something that timed out, or whether opening ActivityMonitor caused it. At any rate, here is the sample.
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject:

I did another test this morning. NeoOffice DOES print, but only after 5 minutes.

I just happened to open ActivityMonitor at exactly that time last night. But this morning, I just waited and waited, and eventually it printed without my doing anything. So it takes 5 minutes to time out.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject:

I think that I have found how to disable the Apple Java function that causes NeoOffice to hang. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the hanging bug is fixed for you? If NeoOffice still hangs, can you attach a new sample of the NeoOffice application so that we can see where the hanging has moved to?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-2-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-2-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject:

It still hangs. It took 5-6 minutes to print, but I didn't time it precisely. Here's the sample:
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:

I don't see any indication of hanging in your latest sample. In fact, I don't see any indication that NeoOffice is printing in that sample.

Instead, I see that you have installed a grammar checker and that grammar checker is busily working through the content of your document.

Do you have a third party grammar checker extension installed in NeoOffice?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I don't see any indication of hanging in your latest sample. In fact, I don't see any indication that NeoOffice is printing in that sample.

Instead, I see that you have installed a grammar checker and that grammar checker is busily working through the content of your document.

Do you have a third party grammar checker extension installed in NeoOffice?

One more question: when you say it takes 5 to 6 minutes, are you talking about a simple, one page document or a long document? If it is a long document, how long does a simple, one page document take to print? In other words, I want to make sure that you are providing times for a test case that is consistent with the test case that you used in the TextEdit application.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2