Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can I download more fonts?
Can I download more fonts?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alands
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Can I download more fonts?

Hi, everybody
I'm a newbie to NeoOffice, but have been using OO for some years. If this is the wrong place for this question, sorry.

Can I download fonts from OO (or anywhere else)? The font list in NeoOffice is quite small, and does not include a couple I used to use a lot, before I got converted to my Mac Mini.

If it can be done, can someone out there tell me how, or where to find the information?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject:

Unlike Microsoft Office, NeoOffice does not come with its own additional set of fonts.

That said, there are many place where you can get fonts. The NeoWiki lists some of these.
As NeoOffice can use any font installed on your Mac, you can also search the web.
As a start, you could try:
http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
http://www.1001fonts.com/
http://www.fontstock.net/

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can I download more fonts?

alands wrote:
Can I download fonts from OO (or anywhere else)? The font list in NeoOffice is quite small, and does not include a couple I used to use a lot, before I got converted to my Mac Mini.

I suspect that you have a new Mac, right? If so, you are seeing only the fonts that Apple bundles with Mac OS X.

Like Oscar mentioned, both NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org do not install any extra special fonts so you will only see fonts that are installed on your Mac. As a result, ifyour machine has few fonts, then that is what you will see in either NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org.

If you decide to download fonts from a third party, note that Macs only allow you to install TrueType fonts (that is, those with a .ttf file extension). To install a downloaded font, you need to double-click on the font file in the Finder and dialog should appear asking you if you want to install the font.

If you want to disable or remove any fonts that you have installed on your Mac, launch the /Applications/Utilities/Font Book application to manage your Mac's installed fonts.

Patrick
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject:

Actually, Macs allow a user to install .otf fonts as well.

And if the user has both screen and printer components for a font, then the old postscript fonts from OS 9 still work.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:

shades wrote:
Actually, Macs allow a user to install .otf fonts as well.

Good point. Although the support for OpenType .otf fonts was very limited until Mac OS X 10.5 and is still limited for applications like NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org that use the older Apple text layout "ATSUI" functions instead of the newer "CoreText" functions that were added in Mac OS X 10.5.

Patrick
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject:

And any Windows TrueType font can be used on the Mac.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1