Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Location of Step-by-step instructions to install OOo 1.0?
Location of Step-by-step instructions to install OOo 1.0?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MACLEARNER
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Location of Step-by-step instructions to install OOo 1.0?

Where can I find Step-by-step instructions to install OOo 1.0 for a MAC novice?

I have a just bought Powerbook with OS X 10.2.3 Darwin Kernel V 6.3.
I am an absolute beginner to MAC and familiarising myself with UNIX.

I wish to install OOo 1.0 from CD which has the following 4 files.
ooo103darwingm.dmg.gz
ooo103|18ngm.dmg.gz
Start_OpenOffice.org.dmg.sit-link.sit
and X11UserforMACOSX.dmg.bin
Assistance Required Please
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject:

Hi MACLEARNER,

here you can find instructions for installing Open Office on Mac OS X: http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

Here some little more detailed instructions:

First, you should install the free X11-Server from Apple (http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/ or the X11UserforMACOSX.dmg.bin from your CD).

After that, double-click ooo103darwingm.dmg.gz. You'll find a new icon on your desktop. Double-click it. A new window with the installation programm appears. Double-click it. Install OpenOffice to your /Applications-directory. Now you've installed OpenOffice without localization.

After finishing, double-click ooo103|18ngm.dmg.gz. You'll find a new icon on your desktop. Double-click it. A new window with the installation programm appears. Double-click it. Enter the location of your OpenOffice installation (/Applications-directory). Now you've installed the OpenOffice localization.

Start the X11-Server, go select "Applications/Customize...". Select "Add item", make a new entry with name "OpenOffice" and command "/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program/soffice &". Select then "Done". Now you can start OpenOffice in two steps:

- Start your X11-Server, if he isn't running
- Select "Applications/OpenOffice"

Now you must wait some time, and then OpenOffice ist starting.

If you want to start OpenOffice with one doubleclick, you can install the Start_OpenOffice.org.dmg.sit-link.sit (install it like above). This little software will start the X11-Server and OpenOffice after a double-click on its icon for you.

Hope, that helps.

Thomas

P.S.: You are not a MAC novice, you are a *Mac* novice Wink
P.P.S: You should update your OS X to 10.2.6 (via System-prefences in the dock)!
MACLEARNER
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Cannot install X11Userfor MACOSX.dmg.bin

Firstly many thanks for your reply. I had spent many fruitless hours scanning for a step-by-step account and not one says in which order to install the .dmz files, X11 I gather should be first. Also noone had been immediately stymied by the .bin NOT being ‘launched’.

StuffIT error.
On clicking or double clicking .bin, I get the message “The application StuffIT Expander has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been affected.”
I believe that StuffIT does not recognise .bin as it asks me to select a destination for ‘.’
Finder recognises it as a MacBinary Encode file.

I am afraid I am too accustomed to MS Windows, so acclimatising to the Mac speak is taking its toll.
Evil or Very Mad
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject:

May be your X11-bin-file is corrupt and causes crashing the StuffitExpander or you have an older version of Stuffit. Check http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/index.html for an update.

If that doesn't help, download the X11-Server from http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11 .

Thomas
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject:

The ".bin" extension is just MacBinary and isn't really a compression format at all. Many programs have built-in decoders, and I think Safari automatically can de-MacBinary files without using Stuffit...try in Safari going to File > Open File and pointing it to the .bin file and see if it starts a "Download". If it doesn't and upgrading Stuffit doesn't help, then you may want to try doing a Google search for "MacBinary Decoders" and see if any of those guys work.

I would expect the sure thing to do would be to go back to Apple's site and re-download the package which should give you an uncorrupted one if the transfer completes successfully.

If it is a corrupted file and not a bogus Stuffit, then be sure to check the MD5 sums of the other OOo files on the CD to make sure you won't run into any problems. Feel free to ask if this sounds like Greek Smile

ed
WebScud
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject:

I'm having trouble adding OOo to the Applications list in X11. I click "add" and nothing happens but the selection skipping one line to a blank one. Any suggestions?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject:

When you get the blank line after "Add...", I believe you need to double-click on the spaces of the "Name" and "Command" colums respectively to edit them. The add button doesn't pop up a dialog or anything, but rather just adds a blank entry into the Apple X11 application list.

ed
MACLEARNER
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject:

Upgraded StuffIT from V7.0 to 7.0.3 and success! OOo as is now loaded. Writer & Calc are impressively comparable with MS products.
many thanks for the help. Laughing
Joe L.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: uninstalling and/or upgrading

How difficult is it to cleanly uninstall OOo 1.0.3? I ask because I am planning on getting the OS X upgrade in a few weeks, and experimenting with any fixes Apple might have incorporated into their X11 port.

Also, on Linux I find the OOo 1.1beta release to be much improved in Powerpoint importing/rendering (IMHO it is the first version that is actually functional for most of my presentations), but for Mac there is no graphical installer yet -- just the hand-compiling option, which will take some time and effort. So if I've installed OOo 1.0.3 with the graphical installer, will need to uninstall it before trying to compile and run 1.1rc4? Or can they peacefully
coexist side-by-side?

Thanks in advance,

J.L.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject:

To uninstall OOo itself, you can pretty much just dump the following:

/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3 (or wherever you installed it to)
~/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.0.3
~/.sversionrc

As to the other software in the installer, you should probably poke around their sites a bit more. OOo 1.0.3 should behave fine with the OS X upgrade, but of course we haven't done any testing on the Apple X11 that ships with it. The biggest thing that remains that may affect it is the window creep bug, but I've heard rumors that it's fixed.

As to working on OOo 1.1 or installing it, you should be able to pursue development and tesing of 1.1 without it interfering with 1.0.3. The primary file they will share is the .sversionrc file. The binaries themselves are independent.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1