NeoOffice :: View topic - Tips for Building Neo/J
Tips for Building Neo/J

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Tips for Building Neo/J

Patrick, Ed and Maho:

Due to the efforts of others that helped me build OOo 1.9 Milestone 110 for X11, I found out that one CANNOT build OOo 1.9 if you start with a bash shell. One tip for the build instructions should be to switch to a tcsh shell by entering /bin/tcsh BEFORE typing in make all AFTER retrieving the Neo/J code at neooffice.org (cvs retrieval). bash is the default shell for 10.3 and 10.4.

Also, you will have to switch to gcc 3.3 in Tiger as the default is gcc 4.0.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for Building Neo/J

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Due to the efforts of others that helped me build OOo 1.9 Milestone 110 for X11, I found out that one CANNOT build OOo 1.9 if you start with a bash shell. One tip for the build instructions should be to switch to a tcsh shell by entering /bin/tcsh BEFORE typing in make all AFTER retrieving the Neo/J code at neooffice.org (cvs retrieval). bash is the default shell for 10.3 and 10.4.

This is a very good point. In fact, I have always have set the Neo/J makefile's SHELL macro explicitly to /bin/tcsh to ensure that all OOo build commands are executed in a tcsh shell.

I have seen the bash environment file, but I never really trusted it since the OOo build has relied on tcsh since long before Sun open sourced the code and the bash support was only added by some Linux afficionados in the last few years.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for Building Neo/J

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

This is a very good point. In fact, I have always have set the Neo/J makefile's SHELL macro explicitly to /bin/tcsh to ensure that all OOo build commands are executed in a tcsh shell.

I have seen the bash environment file, but I never really trusted it since the OOo build has relied on tcsh since long before Sun open sourced the code and the bash support was only added by some Linux afficionados in the last few years.

The problems may be with the way that bash is built in FreeBSD/OpenBSD, which is the basis for MacOSX. In any case, I would like to look at the log files from the build for Neo/J / 1.1.4 versus 1.9_m110, specifically the order that the various modules are built. I know that a combination of awk /sed should be able to do it. However, my knowledge of these programs is limited and I would like to do so. I know that the lines begin with "Building project". Any assistance would be appreciated.

James

Patrick[/quote]
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject:

The build order is actually determined by the dmake executable (whose source code is in OOo's source and gets built as part of the bootstrapping process). The order is influenced by the module dependency files. IIRC they're either in "prj" or "util" subdirectories within each module (I don't have access to my source code just yet and won't for another day).

I'm not a sed or awk guy, I'm a perl guy. The following should work (but again, don't have access to a Unix box so there may be syntax errors):

Code:

while ( <> ) {
    if ( /.*Building project (.*)$/ )
    {
        print "$1\n";
    }
}

ed <--- has no clue how programmers can use Finnish keyboards with that brace placement
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The build order is actually determined by the dmake executable (whose source code is in OOo's source and gets built as part of the bootstrapping process). The order is influenced by the module dependency files. IIRC they're either in "prj" or "util" subdirectories within each module (I don't have access to my source code just yet and won't for another day).

I'm not a sed or awk guy, I'm a perl guy. The following should work (but again, don't have access to a Unix box so there may be syntax errors):

Code:

while ( <> ) {
    if ( /.*Building project (.*)$/ )
    {
        print "$1\n";
    }
}

I'm guessing this is a code segment of a perl script. Once you get back to your code, maybe you could provide a complete script as my knowledge of perl is very limited. Very Happy

I'm also looking at Maho's code/patches.

James

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:

There is a simpler way to get this information:

1. Source the build/MacosxEnv.Set file.
2. cd build/<OOO module> where "OOo module" is the module that you want to see dependency information for. Use "instsetoo" to get all mdoules".
3. Invoke "build --all --show" to list all of the directories that the OOo build will build.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
There is a simpler way to get this information:

1. Source the build/MacosxEnv.Set file.
2. cd build/<OOO module> where "OOo module" is the module that you want to see dependency information for. Use "instsetoo" to get all mdoules".
3. Invoke "build --all --show" to list all of the directories that the OOo build will build.

I will use this in the morning when I finish getting all of the source code.

Any recommendations on proper ./configure parameters for 1.1.4, other than what is in the makefile for Neo/J?

Thank you.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:

For building Neo/J it is best to let the neojava/makefile actually drive the OOo build since it is how we go about applying our Mac-specific patches to the OOo source that don't get incorporated by them. After you get the OOo source itself as part of a Neo/J build, simply run "make" in the neojava subdirectory to let it patch the source properly and automatically invoke its configure.

ed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 writes:

OPENSTEP wrote:
For building Neo/J it is best to let the neojava/makefile actually drive the OOo build since it is how we go about applying our Mac-specific patches to the OOo source that don't get incorporated by them. After you get the OOo source itself as part of a Neo/J build, simply run "make" in the neojava subdirectory to let it patch the source properly and automatically invoke its configure.

Something is wrong here as I cannot get past using idlc to build the .idl files in the udkapi project/module using 1.1.4 as downloaded directly from OpenOffice.org. Thus the reason for my question. I did 'fold back' the patches proposed by Patrick in his CWS on OpenOffice.org.

I will try to build it tomorrow and watch what happens. If the error occurs again, I will try building idlc in debug mode to see where the error is coming from. In case I have not posted the error it is error code 138 when attempting to compile/pre-compile the first .idl file in the udkapi project/module. I think I sent you the output of build -v from the udkapi project.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I have not experienced the idlc crashes with the HEAD branch and all subsequent patches and am past the udkapi module on my 10.4 build. I know it does work, so the question is what's different that's causing idlc to honk on your machine Sad I'm presently working on 10.4.1, gcc 3.3 (sudo gcc_select 3.3). I'd prefer to fall back on an earlier gcc version, but don't have the patience to hack it into 10.4 (XCode 2 only comes with 3.3 as its earliest version).

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I have not experienced the idlc crashes with the HEAD branch and all subsequent patches and am past the udkapi module on my 10.4 build. I know it does work, so the question is what's different that's causing idlc to honk on your machine Sad I'm presently working on 10.4.1, gcc 3.3 (sudo gcc_select 3.3). I'd prefer to fall back on an earlier gcc version, but don't have the patience to hack it into 10.4 (XCode 2 only comes with 3.3 as its earliest version).

As I stated in a different message thread (HEAD on 10.4), I decided to download m57 and build it without any patches. There were two issues before the dreaded udkapi problem. However, I decided to patch the sal module and now it works. It may be possible that this same patch will fix the problem I had with 1.1.4. I will check and see if this is true.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1