Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Please! Enable NeoOffice"Presentation"to import so
Please! Enable NeoOffice"Presentation"to import so

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshue
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Please! Enable NeoOffice"Presentation"to import so

NeoOffice- great program! No doubt. But you can't open Microsoft ppt-presentations with sound files. AND you can't make presentations with soundfiles. Would be great to solve that problem!
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:

Actually, for years I've been hoping that Microsoft would manage this "miracle" cross-platform. In my experience, sound files added to Mac Powerpoint presentations don't play on Windows and vice-versa - even if the sound file format itself is cross-platform!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm... I wonder if billy has anything to do with this? Wink
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Please! Enable NeoOffice"Presentation"to impor

joshue wrote:
NeoOffice- great program! No doubt. But you can't open Microsoft ppt-presentations with sound files. AND you can't make presentations with soundfiles. Would be great to solve that problem!

Neither OpenOffice.org for the Mac nor NeoOffice supports sound..

EDIT: this is not correct. My bad, though support is apparently not as complete as it might be.

Last edited by ovvldc on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Please! Enable NeoOffice"Presentation"to impor

ovvldc wrote:
joshue wrote:

I'm working on a possible release candidate for OOo 1.1.5 and sound should be added. I will have to look for a file with embedded sound to see if it works.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Please! Enable NeoOffice"Presentation"to impor

ovvldc wrote:

That is absolutely incorrect. They don't support plugins or applets, but they do support sound. Kevin wrote some programs that enabled sound in the 1.1.x branch, and I've downloaded a few random PPT presentations with sound (remember, I don't do presentation software Smile) I've also fiddled around and added sound to a sample presentation. It works. Open the gallery and play a sound; that's the easiest way to verify.

It sounds like Kevin's patches, like so many Mac-specific patches, never got committed to the 1.1 branch "head" Evil or Very Mad and may only appear in 1.1.2, but Patrick is good at keeping up with "missing" Mac patches, so they're in Neo/J.

Sound in the 1.9.xxx/2.x branch is all written in Java, which may or may not ever work on the Mac Evil or Very Mad. It seems most of the Java components (wizards!) in 1.9.xxx are perennially broken on the Mac.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject:

FWIW this is simply more of the OOo maintenance nightmare. OOo 1.1.2 GM does have sound support through the NSSound based code I donated back on 2002.

The NSSound based code didn't get merged, and later Kevin rewrote it using a different library than the Cocoa code.

Kevin's rewrite then got dropped on a dead Mac specific branch and now there is none.

The sound support code is all available and has become the victim of the nightmare of incorporating third party patches to mainline OOo (witness the Meta patch, UTF8 patch, Patrick's donated Neo code, etc.).

My original sound code is still available in some of the OOo branches and I can provide it as needs be for others. It only supported AIFF files, however, and then only if they had a ".wav" extension; I wrote it back for 10.1 that had limited support through NSSound. These days it might be best to rewrite it using either QuickTime to open and play the file or through using the CoreAudio AudioFile interfaces.

Once again, I don't have free time to work on it but can provide the reference code for any who are willing. Some of it is that I also have a pet peeve against presos with sound in them and miss the days when all we had were transparency projectors Laughing

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
miss the days when all we had were transparency projectors Laughing

First work I ever got paid for was cleaning transparencies Laughing

Yep, those were the days, before everyone used gratuitous technology for no good reason....

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

The NSSound based code didn't get merged, and later Kevin rewrote it using a different library than the Cocoa code.

Kevin's rewrite then got dropped on a dead Mac specific branch and now there is none.

AFAIR, he used SDL and it looked very promising (and cross platform). Why it was not adopted is utterly beyond me.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

AFAIR, he used SDL and it looked very promising (and cross platform). Why it was not adopted is utterly beyond me.

I think the decision to have sound support in 2.0 be re-implemented in Java had already been made, [cynicism]and since Mac OOo is a port rather than a core Sun platform, the decision makers really didn't care[/cynicism]

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

I think the decision to have sound support in 2.0 be re-implemented in Java had already been made, [cynicism]and since Mac OOo is a port rather than a core Sun platform, the decision makers really didn't care[/cynicism]

Ed, Smokey and the other folks who visit the OpenOffice.org site:

Take a look at IZ 38031. Looks like Ericb picked up Kevin's pieces and decided to bring sound back to life. At the present time, I am working on a build with sound! I managed to work through and get a working version of m57 with the patches I used to build m56. After I get this built and tested (I need a .ppt/.pps with SOUND to test it with), I will ask Patrick if I can look at the Neo/J code and if it can be adapted to m57 (this looks like a possible candidate for 1.1.5).

Wish me luck as a build takes about 24 hours on my PBG4 1.3GHz with 768 MB of memory.

James

Smokey[/quote]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand the issue. Neo/J has had native sound support using the Mac OS X Audio Toolbox APIs for at least a year.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I don't understand the issue. Neo/J has had native sound support using the Mac OS X Audio Toolbox APIs for at least a year.

Patrick:

Take a look at IZ 38031 on OOo.org. Apparently you have been able to do something they have not with Neo/J.

BTW, my builds of m56 and m57 without sound for X11 were successful after using your patches (or most of them.) Thank you.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1