NeoOffice :: View topic - Translating 1.1 Announcement & Release Coordination
Translating 1.1 Announcement & Release Coordination

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I'll try to get them online in the next day or so...it's probably too late for showing people who've only replied on press stories...but I'm not yet recovered from being up for 22+ hours Sad

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I'll try to get them online in the next day or so...it's probably too late for showing people who've only replied on press stories...but I'm not yet recovered from being up for 22+ hours Sad

Chill, Smokey. Don't ruin your health over this. One very recent screenshot can be found on http://geocities.com/ovvldc/ and I believe at planamesa. Older ones I cannot help you with, but you can always take an X11 screenshot as this was the real base case.

Well, so far Trinity has been rather quiet, downloads have been high, and forum replies generally positive. I would call the whole operation a tentative success Smile.

Of course, the wiki got overwhelmed but I suppose that is also a compliment of sorts..

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Chill, Smokey. Don't ruin your health over this. One very recent screenshot can be found on http://geocities.com/ovvldc/ and I believe at planamesa. Older ones I cannot help you with, but you can always take an X11 screenshot as this was the real base case.

I have a all of the old www.planamesa.com images in CVS somewhere. I'll dig it out and send it to you. And get some rest! Smile

ovvldc wrote:
Well, so far Trinity has been rather quiet, downloads have been high, and forum replies generally positive. I would call the whole operation a tentative success Smile.

Of course, the wiki got overwhelmed but I suppose that is also a compliment of sorts..

I agree completely. I want to thank all of you for putting together and distributing the press release. It really got Neo/J some real good press!

BTW, I checked the cumulative downloads for Neo/J 1.1 and as of this morning, I had around 5100 downloads. Assuming that the other mirrors have the same amount, I estimate that we have around 45000 downloads so far (9 x 5000).

So, considering that many thousands of people have downloaded Neo/J 1.1, things are looking very, very smooth.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

I have a all of the old www.planamesa.com images in CVS somewhere. I'll dig it out and send it to you. And get some rest! Smile

Cool, thanks! I have some of the recent ones (0.8.2, 1.1 Beta, and of course 1.1 final) and managed to find a very old one via web.archive.org, but it was very sporadic in when it archived www.planamesa.com Smile CVS, a modern historian's best friend....

And I got a lot of sleep today and will go to sleep again soon Smile I can still manage an all-nighter once a year Smile

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

I agree completely. I want to thank all of you for putting together and distributing the press release. It really got Neo/J some real good press!

I noticed there were 149 guests on trinity at one point around lunch time (EDT) yesterday Smile But yes, the response seems very positive. Very good reviews on VT, the usual mixed bag on MU, and nothing crazy on Bugzilla or here (aside from the random profanity in numerous topics!?)

pluby wrote:
BTW, I checked the cumulative downloads for Neo/J 1.1 and as of this morning, I had around 5100 downloads. Assuming that the other mirrors have the same amount, I estimate that we have around 45000 downloads so far (9 x 5000).

So, considering that many thousands of people have downloaded Neo/J 1.1, things are looking very, very smooth.

Wow! Compare that to about 4500 downloads reported by VT+MU combined. That means most of the downloads are coming from other sources (i.e., our PR).

Does the BT tracker report completed downloads? Plus there's Apple Downloads (Apple hosts the file)...

This has been really good. Thanks Patrick for letting us do this, and thanks to everyone for all the hard work; I didn't (and couldn't!) do this alone Smile

Smokey

Edit: Not 1.1 Alpha after all, I don't think.

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Don't put too much faith in the trinity user tracking stats. The real meaningful on eis the registered users number. A fair number of the anonymous hits are usually from search engines. Since we're being linked to directly instead off of the neooffice.org portal, it wouldn't surprise me if the spikes are from search traffic.

ed <-- hates finnish keyboards
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject:

We got a nice drawing from MacGeneration.com Very Happy

on the page that sums up this week's news.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
We got a nice drawing from MacGeneration.com Very Happy

on the page that sums up this week's news.

Ed will like that Smile

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject:

So, are we darned if we do and darned if we don't re: dev@porting?

It's nice to see end-users on the list (why are end-users on dev@porting anyway?) say nice things about Neo/J and how they're glad to have it, but inevitably any time anyone mentions Neo/J on dev@porting, things descend into recriminations and border on a flame-war Sad

I'm glad that's Oscar's domain and not mine--makes it easier for me to keep my mouth shut and not say anything that will make things worse....

Smokey

BTW, one of those well-meaning users has filed a bug to have the OOo downloads page updated. (Louis already suggested telling Ed to update the Mac porting pages when he replied to the announcement....)

And one of Sun's marketing? bloggers picked up the MacNN blurb, so the Neo/J release showed up on Planet OpenOffice.org (and now he's picked up on the eweek/techword article, too)....

The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
It's nice to see end-users on the list (why are end-users on dev@porting anyway?) say nice things about Neo/J and how they're glad to have it, but inevitably any time anyone mentions Neo/J on dev@porting, things descend into recriminations and border on a flame-war Sad

Yup, I generally just stay off the list and actually have it routed one step above spam in my rules Smile But I just gotta step up and say something if someone accuses me of doing something illegal. It's that kind of dumb politics that caused me to really leave that community in the first place...I spent all my time trying to keep up with the flaming from those in Sun and outside of it that I wasn't getting any real work done Sad

On that note, back to debugging this stupid rscdep crash...

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I'm glad that's Oscar's domain and not mine--makes it easier for me to keep my mouth shut and not say anything that will make things worse....

Well, I tried to provide moderate and nuance-padded statements as much as possible. Not everyone responded equally to that, but it could have been much worse.

Still, I was surprised at the intensity of Eric H's frustration. Not good, but then again he is pulling the 2.0 effort and could use all the help he can get, just like we are. He was quite out of line about stealing, but the qualified version of his argument made some sense, at least from his perspective. I hope the counter arguments made sense to him.

Also, I hope Ed and Patrick talk to Florian soon, because he volunteered to be OOo liason to us here and that sort of good will should be taken up ASAP.

For now the flames have died down. I decided to be quiet as well, in order to avoid keeping that thread burning. It should be noted they are making good progress in keeping up with 2.0 beta milestones now, AFAICT.

knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject:

OOo have the release of NeoOffice/J 1.1 in the announcement section in their newsletter:

Quote:
NeoOffice/J 1.1 Released!
-------------------------
"Planamesa Software and the NeoOffice.org community are proud to
introduce NeoOfficeš/J 1.1, a Mac OS X-native version of the OpenOffice.org office suite that includes Microsoft Office-compatible word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing applications.

"This release is the culmination of many thousands of volunteer hours,"
said NeoOfficeš/J creator and primary developer Patrick Luby. "As a result
of this tremendous effort, we have a very stable, full-featured office
suite for Mac OS X that supports dozens of languages."

NeoOfficeš/J 1.1 is available today as a free download from the Planamesa
Software website at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/."

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/

The full newsletter is posted here http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=247

-K
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject:

Cool! Thanks for that link. We were the second article, and the eweek/techworld article blurb appeared later on, too! And a little bit of our Press Release was actually used in the press Smile

(I see it's Erwin T who puts it all together, which now explains why he blogs every remotely-OOo-related story on PlanetOOo Smile)

What I found very interesting, though, were the user-survey stats at the bottom. According to that, Mac OS X is one of only two ports with users in the single digits (LinuxPPC is the other, with about half as many percent; all the others are less than 1%) and there are more Mac OS X users than users of two official platforms combined (those being, of course, Solaris Sparc and Solaris x86 Smile) And that doesn't include Neo/J users who aren't also OOo users, because we've disabled the survey in favor of pointing them here. It's not scientific, of course, but I imagine it's the most accurate statistics OOo has, and it's still interesting Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject:

FWIW, I don't think they had a news item on the actual announcement, but you made it into an article at Macworld.co.uk on the 27th:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=11934

Edit: The article was originally in Techworld, it seems.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
FWIW, I don't think they had a news item on the actual announcement, but you made it into an article at Macworld.co.uk on the 27th:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=11934

Edit: The article was originally in Techworld, it seems.

Did anyone not run the Techworld/eweek article? Very Happy

Now that the wiki's back up, I'll work on getting my list of all the places we got press coverage into Release Tasks - Actual Press as I get a chance, but everyone else feel free to add your lists. We'll move that section to a permanent "Press Coverage" page at some point (linked to from the Press Kit and the NeoAdvocacy, I guess).

I'll leave the protected pages protected for the time being, just in case we finally get some residual traffic/spam, and then open them up at the end of the week.... But Patch-0's up now, since the RelNotes are among the protected pages...I almost got Patch-0 up during the slashdotting, but by the time I finished pasting my edits and hitting submit, I'd lost my place in the bandwidth line Smile

And also on my list is getting the CD/Trademark page "live" and linked from appropriate pages this week Smile

And of course there's "hassling" Jake about changing the ship to the png, since slashdot took us out before he could do it after his birthday celebrating Very Happy That's for next week, though Wink

Welcome back, o brave NeoWiki!

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I'll leave the protected pages protected for the time being, just in case we finally get some residual traffic/spam, and then open them up at the end of the week....

OK, so I forgot about it at the end of that week, but I did unprotect the Main Page, Release Notes, and Screenshots (so be vigilant about spammers!)

I've left the Announcement and Press Kit protected, since the former shouldn't change at all and the latter probably won't until it's time for our next release, and as those are our two big media-facing pages, keeping spam/defacing to an absolute zero seems desirable. If there's any objection to this, just let me know and I'll open them up, too.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8