Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - So now it's my turn to be attacked....
So now it's my turn to be attacked....

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: So now it's my turn to be attacked....

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2497

Fun, fun. Maybe I'll stop filing bugs on problems I find in 1.9 that affect only X11 users....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I wanted to scream somewhere and didn't feel like the bug an appropriate place to do so.

Please return to your normal daily activities.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject:

"just complaining that neooffice can't use this..."

who is that guy? would he say that if the windows version of OO.o couldn't use it?

or maybe he is still sore about us getting a WP translator? Wink

don't sweat it man, there will always be people like that. what OO.o needs to realize (and maybe they do and don't care) is that those people are how we percieve their group as a whole.

and you know what? damn straight i'd be frustrated it didn't work for neo. like i am gonna spend $2k on a new (good) windows box just to get this one feature.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Sorry, I wanted to scream somewhere and didn't feel like the bug an appropriate place to do so.

Understandable. No worries.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject:

who is that guy? would he say that if the windows version of OO.o couldn't use it? [/quote]

Eric Bachard is a leading force in the development of OOo 2.0 for PPC/Mac and he does good work. Though he was out of line here, I don't see a reason to diss on him too much. Just shrug it off and let everyone get back to work.

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject:

i'm sure he does good work, and if this is who i think, then i am grateful for his efforts in OO.o for the mac.

however.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i'm sure he does good work, and if this is who i think, then i am grateful for his efforts in OO.o for the mac.

Right now, Eric is facing furstration trying to get Patrick's fixes in cws_macxjoin1153 back into the master work space due to problems with CVS at OpenOffice.org. I do applaud his efforts as we need to get these fixes into the master work space in order to move forward on OpenOffice 1.1.5 and to incorporate the ability to read (in the future) OpenDocument files in both OpenOffice 1.1 and NeoOffice/J.

His efforts as well as several other folks (Eric H, Pavel Janik, Maho Nakata, and myself) are what is driving the MacOSX porting efforts (my apologies to those who are left out, I have not put together an entire list.) Patrick and Ed's efforts are more towards porting the X11 version of OOo to Carbon/Java (otherwise called the Aqua port by some folks). Of course, Patrick and Ed found problems and fixed them in NeoOffice. These fixes are what Eric B is trying to get back into OpenOffice.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
"just complaining that neooffice can't use this..."

who is that guy? would he say that if the windows version of OO.o couldn't use it?

or maybe he is still sore about us getting a WP translator? Wink

don't sweat it man, there will always be people like that. what OO.o needs to realize (and maybe they do and don't care) is that those people are how we percieve their group as a whole.

and you know what? damn straight i'd be frustrated it didn't work for neo. like i am gonna spend $2k on a new (good) windows box just to get this one feature.

I will inject my opinion on Java at this point:

1.3.x is not supported by SUN (as far as I can determine.)
1.4.2 is stable and IT WORKS FOR ME (and I work with more than MacIntoshs and Apple products.) I actually work with a product that REQUIRES 1.4.1 or 1.4.2.
1.5.x has not been accepted by many developers and has many anomolies. I had to deinstall this version and install 1.4.2 to get a web site that I access to function appropriately.
1.6.x is now in 'beta' status. I feel that an offical 1.6 version will be out before year's end. Hopefully, SUN will continue to support 1.4.2 until 1.6 is offically adopted as the development platform of choice. This will take at least one year or more.

So, you should support Java 1.4 to capture the maximum number of users, especially those running Windows, Sun Solaris and MacOSX. If you step up to 1.5 you loose those users.

Now this is just my opinion, but it looks like someone is forcing the 1.4/1/5 issue at this point. And all over an additional function that they desire.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Yes, ericb does good work. The whole porting team does. But I think if everyone would stop worrying about "competing" and questioning everyone's motives, the state of Mac OOo (as a whole, i.e., all versions of OOo-based apps on the Mac) would be a lot better. I would certainly file more bugs if I felt they weren't being ignored because of my association with Neo/J (it would also help if there were up-to-date builds that ran on 10.3.9 regularly available, too; Pavel's builds are only available fortnightly or so and never have the Mac-specific CWS patches, so it's kind of useless to test them).

Edit: I see that ericb has just been appointed co-lead of the entire porting project (all ports).

As for Java, there's a thread in dev@porting last summer where Kevin H had a fit when some of the 1.9 code explicitly required 1.4.x, because he and Martin and other movers-and-shakers had specifically set 1.3.1 as the max Java version anything in OOo could require and then people went off and coded features and ignored those requirements/specifications.

I think a lot of people aren't aware of those requirements and go right ahead and code to Sun Java 1.5, assuming it's available on every platform OOo supports. Since it isn't on the two most-used ports (and each has a larger percentage of users than one of the official Sun platforms!), that's a problem (and that particular proposed solution to SVG import is not a viable solution for OOo). Given that just yesterday ericb was posting on dev@porting about problems getting OOo to build on LinuxPPC with Java 1.3.1....

Anyway. Let's put this thread to rest. I've vented, we've all gotten yelled at, etc.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject:

eric b. has a tendency to flame people. He's flame dme enough that I just ignore anything he says since it's never usually going to wind up being constructive.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
eric b. has a tendency to flame people. He's flame dme enough that I just ignore anything he says since it's never usually going to wind up being constructive.

Ed:

Don't feel like you are alone. Eric flamed me once. I did remind him of my past accomplishments and he basically backed down. I now have access to Pavel's build area as well as Maho's. I've looked over their work and made constructive suggestions to improve their work. I don't mind being 'constructively' criticised, but flaming is unjustified.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1