NeoOffice/J 1.2 Alpha

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Do I need to do this for the independent NeoOffice build that I am working with or should I invoke build.package as I have been?

If you look at the makefile, you will see that build.package is a dependency of build.patch_package. Since you are deleting several of the build.neo_*_patch files which are dependencies of build.package, making build.patch_package will rebuild the deleted targets and build.package.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you look at the makefile, you will see that build.package is a dependency of build.patch_package. Since you are deleting several of the build.neo_*_patch files which are dependencies of build.package, making build.patch_package will rebuild the deleted targets and build.package.

Thanks. I've built it and I discovered several anomolies. One of these is that the program will freeze up when saving a calc file. Also, the program tends to flicker when the pointer is moved over the open area. On the plus side the program is much quicker than the original 1.2 Alpha release.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I don't see any freezing when saving a Calc file, but I do notice the flicker on Tiger. It seems that on Tiger, some JVM code is turning automatic screen flushing on immediately after I turn it off. Sad

As for the Calc file or other freezes, you might want to attach gdb to the process using the "gdb -p <pid>" command and look at the stack traces for threads 1 and 2. If there is a deadlock, you will see both threads in some pthread function.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
With Java 1.4.2, many of the missing XOR drawing support now works and many of the bottlenecks no longer exist. So, I have eliminated all of those memory-consuming offscreen images and the CPU-consuming copying of the images with direct drawing to windows.

Excellent news indeed! Great to hear that in addition to getting some longevity legs out of the 1.4.2 upgrade we're also getting some speed-up Very Happy

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:

James,

pluby wrote:
I don't see any freezing when saving a Calc file, but I do notice the flicker on Tiger. It seems that on Tiger, some JVM code is turning automatic screen flushing on immediately after I turn it off. Sad

I found some deadlocks in the code and I have fixed them. I have also reduced, but not eliminated, the amount of flicker. You can get the latest fixes by executing the following commands. This will rebuild the full installer and the patch:

cd neojava
cvs update -d sfx2 stoc vcl
rm build.neo_stoc_patch build.neo_sfx2_patch build.neo_vcl_patch
rm build.patch_packge
make build.patch_package

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
James,

pluby wrote:

I found some deadlocks in the code and I have fixed them. I have also reduced, but not eliminated, the amount of flicker. You can get the latest fixes by executing the following commands. This will rebuild the full installer and the patch:

Thank you. I will work with this today.

James

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
cvs update -d sfx2 stoc vcl

Before doing this, I had to checkout the full source tree as explained here http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/build.php

But which tag have I to use ?

-r NeoOfficeJ-1_1 : it's NeoOffice 1.1 branch, so I must not use it.
-r NeoOfficeJ-1_2 : this tag does not exist
-r HEAD : I got warnings about invalid tag, but I got source.
If I remove all CVS/Tag files, then checkout sources without "-r <tag>", I have all CVS/Tag files created with "V1.1" within.

Then, what is the good -r option to use ?

Thanks
skuld
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I forgot to login for the previous message

The exact error message is
Code:

skuld@skuld# cvs -q update -rHEAD -d -P
[...]
cvs server: Attempt to add reserved tag name HEAD
[...]
skuld@skuld#
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject:

skuld wrote:

Code:

[...]
[...]
skuld@skuld#

With the "cvs update" command, you use "cvs update -A" instead of "cvs update -rHEAD" to get the tip of the CVS tree.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject:

skuld wrote:
Code:

The proper format for the update command is:

cvs [-z3] update -d

You do not need to supply the HEAD parameter if you are updating a previously downloaded package

skuld wrote:

Code:

[...]
[...]
skuld@skuld#

This has been happening for some time now and maybe Patrick can fix this. However, you will get the complete code base and be able to build.

BTW, I'm building with the 1.1.5rc code and it works well. No signs yet of the ODT import filters (or at least I have not found them.) I do have ODT files to test with that were produced by the OOo 2.0 beta releases.

James
skuld
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
skuld wrote:
Code:

The proper format for the update command is:

cvs [-z3] update -d

The -q flag is just here because I don't want to see these "? some_file_not_in_repository" messages while updating source tree.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
You do not need to supply the HEAD parameter if you are updating a previously downloaded package

skuld wrote:

Code:

[...]
[...]
skuld@skuld#

This has been happening for some time now and maybe Patrick can fix this. However, you will get the complete code base and be able to build.

OK, thanks for you answer.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Huh? What would I or Ed fix? This is how the "cvs update" command works. Looking at "cvs --help update", it says

-A Reset any sticky tags/date/kopts.
-r rev Update using specified revision/tag (is sticky).

Since HEAD is not a sticky tag, "-r HEAD" does not work so you use -A.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Huh? What would I or Ed fix? This is how the "cvs update" command works. Looking at "cvs --help update", it says

-A Reset any sticky tags/date/kopts.
-r rev Update using specified revision/tag (is sticky).

Since HEAD is not a sticky tag, "-r HEAD" does not work so you use -A.

So the command is:

cvs [-z3] update -d -A -q -P

(where -z3 is the level of compression that works with my internet connection and is optional)

Right?

I really like the fact that I can get rid of those pesky ? lines, exspecially when they deal with the .DS_Store files.

James

Patrick[/quote]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I just committed a bunch of changes to the vcl module that significantly reduces the amount of flicker. I found that vcl was painting a window twice when you first opened it and I have eliminated one of the redundant painting operations.

Patrick
skuld
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject:

A question about make build.patch_package

I've build a full install package with "make all". Then you modify sfx2, stoc and vcl modules. So ran "make build.patch_package". It creates a Patch-1 install package.

No you have modified vcl module, and "make build.patch_package" overwrite Patch-1 install package with another one with the same name.

But If I want to save a copy of install packages, must I have to keep Full install package + first patch package Patch-1 + second patch package Patch-1, or the second patch package override the first one ?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7