· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice.org.1.1.2 startup
OpenOffice.org.1.1.2 startup

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrzero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice.org.1.1.2 startup

I'm new to macs.

Can't get Start OpenOffice to work. At first I received an "information" window, which I had to force to quit, or it would not go away. I got it to find the right path to pull up the X11 window, and then the information window doesn't show up, but then a new window tells me -

"Could not launch OpenOffice.org program
: Preferred"

I'm operating on OS 10.3.9, so it should be compatible.

Any ideas?

Dever
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Can you launch X11 by itself? Unfortunately that error message is getting cut off in the dialog reporting it, so it's a bit cryptic to try and figure out what's going on.

If you look in the README file, there are some instructions on how to start OpenOffice.org from a terminal. Note they're for a shell called "csh", so you may need to add in an initial step after opening the terminal of typing "csh" on its own line before the "setenv" lines. If you start it from a terminal you'll be able to get the full error message which might be able to point us more to what the problem might be.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Got online to see if the network was working or if it was just the evil PC in the house having problems (amazingly, 'twas the network...)...anyway.

I've seen this "hang at the Information panel" issue once recently when I removed my Start OOo plist (I forget what it's called) to test something and then started Start OOo, and I meant to drop Terry a note about it (bad me Sad). It didn't use to happen in the past, but maybe something along the way to 10.3.9 changed the way what he's using to (re)create the prefs file works?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org.1.1.2 startup

Mrzero wrote:
I'm new to macs.

Unless you really need to use an X11 application, I would suggest you try using NeoOffice/J. It is basically OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 the runs natively instead of using X11.

You can check out NeoOffice/J here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/

Patrick
Mrzero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Now that you mention it...

I've got the bash shell, though, so I don't know if I can do stuff in csh. I'll give it a try...
You know, I did a read on the plist and it only showed the preferences I had set, so I went in and set all the other preferences to the ones specified in the ReadMe file (Except of course Darwin, since I'm using X11) but that may indicate that the plist was missing. None of the other options seemed very pertinent, however, and it still didn't work.

Possibility along those lines?

Dever
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re:Start OpenOffice.org problems

sardisson wrote:
I've seen this "hang at the Information panel" issue once recently when I removed my Start OOo plist (I forget what it's called) to test something and then started Start OOo, and I meant to drop Terry a note about it (bad me Sad). It didn't use to happen in the past, but maybe something along the way to 10.3.9 changed the way what he's using to (re)create the prefs file works?

Smokey
I haven't done a lot of Start OpenOffice.org testing with Mac OS X 10.3.9 - I will try to investigate your claim. Some day I will release the current version I have fixed some bugs in, and add better support for OOo 2.0.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re:Start OpenOffice.org problems

Terry Teague wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Smokey
I haven't done a lot of Start OpenOffice.org testing with Mac OS X 10.3.9 - I will try to investigate your claim. Some day I will release the current version I have fixed some bugs in, and add better support for OOo 2.0.

Regards, Terry

I did some testing with a newly installed OOo 1.1.2 and Start OpenOffice.org on Mac OS X 10.3.9, after removing the "org.OpenOffice.Start.plist" prefs file, and I was not able to reproduce your problem.

Regards, Terry
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1