NeoOffice :: View topic - New CVS Servers
New CVS Servers

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: New CVS Servers

OK, after a few weeks of work our new CVS server system is finally in place. This rids us of the last Microsoft OS running one of our servers, I'm pretty sure. The switch in CVS occurred last night and hopefully is not noticeable to any devs since it's already been cleared w/Patrick Smile

FWIW, the old setup had two major issues: speed and security. In addition to potential OS security issues, we were using a pserver protocol for both private and public access. Although the CVS security issues didn't affect our specific server variant, pserver still uses plaintext password exchange and could allow for password sniffing. As we get more and more popular, we need to make sure we have security measures in place (witness trinity hacking over the years...).

There are now two CVS boxes, one private and one public. The private box (cvs.neooffice.org) is where main development occurs. This CVS repository is only accessible over encrypted connections and only by Patrick and myself at present. Anyone who winds up becoming a NeoJ developer will need to contact me so we can set up encryption keys and such.

The public box (anoncvs.neooffice.org) is still running a pserver protocol. It is a completely separate CVS repository from the secure box so even if it suffers from pserver vulns there's no way any code committed to it will ever get into the secure repository.

The public anoncvs box is synced nightly with the secure box at 3AM PST. Any changes made by Patrick or myself will generally appear the next day on the public CVS box.

Anyone who has been using either the NeoC or NeoJ build instructions exactly should not notice any difference...for csh:

Code:

setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.neooffice.org:/cvs
cvs login

The password is still "anoncvs" (without quotes) and all other CVS operations should work as expected. Only difference is that your repository may not have the latest changes from the day.

Let me know if you encounter any issues with the new anoncvs setup. Most of the time I'll be using the secure box myself, so I may not realize if any permissions errors or the like crop up on anoncvs (I believe I got most of them out over the last few days, but you never know).

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1