NeoOffice :: View topic - Version 1.1 : 7/02/05
Version 1.1 : 7/02/05

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Version 1.1 : 7/02/05

Version 1.1 of the NeoLight importer is now available for download. This revision has the following enhancements:

- Universal binary supporting both PowerPC and X86
    - Addition of OpenDocument UTI types. This should allow OpenDocument (OOo 2.0) files to be indexed without editing the Info.plist and without them being accidentally mapped to Neo/J files.

The new version can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/downloads/neolight_installer.pkg.tgz

MD5Sum : 34339a63668f56caadb8dfde6f65223a

CVS tag : NeoLight_1_1

If you are not using a DTS system or OOo 2.0, you do not need to upgrade from previous versions as there are no substantive code changes beyond recognizing the new OpenDocument UTI types.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

Can you update http://trinity.neooffice.org/downloads/neolight.mdimporter.tgz as well? This is the URL that the Neo/J build uses. If you update it, it will get included in the next Neo/J patch.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Yup, that mdimporter only tgz was already updated...actually, I updated it before the installer since it's less work Very Happy

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I've submitted the update to Apple Downloads.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject:

I think I've noted it in the main page, but I still haven't thoroughly tested OD support. I don't use 2.0 myself so have no test documents. I programmed it according to the spec, so it should work in theory. However, theory and practice are very different things Smile

ed
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject:

I've just installed it and tried a couple of quick and dirty tests using the M130 build of OOo 2.0 - no joy I'm afraid... tried running the
Code:
mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter
command as suggested in the NeoWiki, but that hasn't helped.

Any suggestions?

If you like, I can post a few OOo 2.0 test files so that you can try out your importer yourself.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject:

What type of output were you getting from the mdimport? The key will be to see what the file UTI is in the header. If you see "dyn.*" something, then the plugin isn't getting the new types registered. If you have both Neo/J and the standalone Neolight installed things may be competing Sad

If possible, please file a bugzilla issue with a test document and the output you get from an mdimport -d3. Also the output of an mdimport -L would be helpful. mdimport -L (to list the available importers) isn't actually reliable though...so if there are multiple different importers installed we may need to fix that up.

The stanadlone installer does trigger a reindex of documents using the recommended commands, but I've had enough experience with Spotlight flaking out with multiple importers with the same bundle identifier at work to be wary of what the system is actually doing.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject:

I see that bug 894 was reopened with what seems like the same issue.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject:

OK, I got it to (partially) work. I've added this below, together with with the Terminal output to the same bug listed above.

However, here's what I needed to do to get it to function (but only for specific documents):

In the Finder, I showed the NOJ Package contents and archived the old version in NeoOfficeJ/Contents/Library/Spotlight (to make a back up that I can revert to). To delete the neolight.mdimporter (v1.0.4) after creating the archive I moved it to the trash but it wouldn't allow me to Empty Trash as it was in use, which suggests that the commands in the Terminal were being routed through this old version of the importer rather than the newly installed one in /Library/Spotlight. I restarted to be able to delete the old version. Then I ran the various Terminal commands from the NeoWiki - see the bug report for the results. The new version loaded OK according to the output of /usr/bin/mdimport -L

Initially, it didn't find anything so I ran /usr/bin/mdimport -d3 on one of my test docs and I was able to search for the content in that file with Spotlight and it found the document.

I then ran mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter and performed another search for a different test file, but Spotlight couldn't find it. Performing another /usr/bin/mdimport -d3 on that second file did work - I could now find it.

I then created a new test file from OOo.2.0 (M130 build) to see if it would be indexed - no joy. Spotlight couldn't find it.

N.B. It still works as expected with my old .sxw etc files.

Edit: Bizzare... thinking that I had better check whether that was also true for a newly created .sxw from OOo 2.0, Spotlight now finds that newly created .odt file from before, but not the .sxw with the same content! Confusing, huh? Wink

Edit 2: I don't know what has happened as I have been doing other things, but the .sxw is also now found by Spotlight.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the updates. For now I'm pushing debugging these OD issues to the back burner as I'm really banging my head against this gcc4 type library problem which is damn frustrating to debug as I can't set breakpoints in the critical parts of the type system and, lo, watchpoints make gdb run out of memory. I've been swearing continually for a week.

I'll post here when I have more news on the OD support. Who knows...maybe OOo isn't following the spec...Wink

ed
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject:

Hi Ed, appreciate the need to prioritise things, but have you checked the bug report linked above? The OP may have a quick solution to the problem...

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject:

Offhand it sounds like the conflicting library issue with Spotlight where it searches for the incorrect dylib, almost as if it got the new UTI types from the Info.plist of the 1.1 library but still was passing them to the 1.0.4 version within NeoJ (which will return an error for the OD UTI types as being unrecognized).

While I have to read it more carefully later on (am going to real job now) I've not found a reliable way to solve this since the recommended practice of "mdimport -r" from Apple upon installing an update of a plugin apparently isn't triggering appropriate stuff to point to the latest version of an importer.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1