Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Home directory not under /Users
Home directory not under /Users

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Home directory not under /Users

Hi folks

I've installed OpenOffice 1.0.3 under Apple's X11 and OS X 10.2.6.

I have my home directory on a volume other than the startup one. The installer created a "/Volumes/Valkyrie/Users/tom/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.0.3" fine, but when I run OpenOffice I get "The application cannot be started. The configuration directory "/Users/tom/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.0.3" could not be found[...]"

So it looks like OpenOffice is searching in /Users rather than using $HOME or similiar.

I s'pose I could move the whole oo preferences directory over to /Users (or create a link), but I'd rather be able to point oo to the correct place.

Any clues? Cheers
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject:

OK, yup, this is a bug in the multi-user support. I had assumed that /Users would always contain the links to the user directories. In the next release I'll be sure to use the full expansion for ~ and not assume /Users/`whoami`

In the meantime, the way you can fix this up is by opening the file named ".sversionrc" in your home directory with a text editor (emacs, TextEdit, ProjectBuilder, etc.). Changes its contents to read:

Code:

[Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.0.3=file:///Volumes/Valkyrie/Users/tom/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.0.3

(edit: Note that the above is two lines..."[Versions]" should appear by itself on the first line of the file, and the remaining text should be on the seond line. If something inserts a line break in that second line somewhere, it will not work. You may want to use an editor that avoids line breaking like emacs or BBEdit)

That should replace the "/Users" starting path and allow OOo to launch. I'll add alternate location home directories as a test for future versions Smile

ed

Last edited by OPENSTEP on Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
tom
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Hi ed

Many thanks for the reply, I now have a word processing window up on my screen. Razz

Cheers
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Cool, glad that was the problem. It shall be fixed in our next release Smile

ed
Polly
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: OO.o won't launch, error= GetStorage, name: No Content!

I have stayed up all night wrestling with the installation and failure to launch of OpenOffice.org.
oo.o 1.1.2, dated July 2004 (from Luxuriousity, hey it's a CD with all I need, I hope, only $10, I wouldn't try Open Office without it.)
eMac G4, 10.2.8.

I keep getting this "configuration data" error, in an alert box that shows up at random positions on and nearly off the screen. I changed my monitor resolution to more likely see it. To make it show up, I bring Start OpenOffice.org to the front by clicking in the Dock, choose File - New - Text, and after a Please Wait... and the splash screen, where a progress bar goes about two-thirds across, then the error alert appears.

Sometimes it's a minimized box, just the label, on top of the "login" window label, and when I click it, it expands to show the error. The error states:

{Label - OpenOffice.org 1.1.2}
cannot be started due to an error in accessing the configuration
data.

Please contact your system administrator.

The following internal error has occurred: GetStorage, name: "No
Content!
{ OK }

In the Console Log I find:
Quote:

2004-10-18 12:30:36.153 XDarwin[11588]
XDarwin 1.2.0

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
Release Date: 27 February 2003
If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin Apple Computer, Inc.
Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
Warning: no access to tty (Inappropriate ioctl for device).
Thus no job control in this shell.

Loading GLX bundle glxAGL.bundle (using Apple's OpenGL)
Display mode: Rootless Quartz
Screen 0 added: 1152x843 @ (0,21)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

If I need to type anything into the xterm window to fix this, I need it EXACT since I would have no clue what I'm doing.

I looked for, but could not find, .sversionrc since my oo.o applications are in a non-bootable partition, (XDarwin is in Applications/Utilities/ on the boot volume).

Has the problem of not being on the boot volume been fixed in 1.1.2 for Mac? Or should I try to launch without the Start oo.o program - I would be working in the dark here, I don't know anything about UNIX...

In an xterm window of XDarwin, I should enter:
Code:

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
   setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH localhost/Data%20%26%20Apps/Apps/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/filter
   cd localhost/Data%20%26%20Apps/Apps/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program
   sh soffice

If it messes me up, I can just reboot, right? Should I put Volumes or localhost? Does it need a colon, ie "localhost:"?

Thanks for any help you can give. And if I'm asking for a new document, of course there's no content! What's its problem? Laughing
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: OO.o won't launch, error= GetStorage, name: No Content!

Polly wrote:
I have stayed up all night wrestling with the installation and failure to launch of OpenOffice.org.
oo.o 1.1.2, dated July 2004 (from Luxuriousity, hey it's a CD with all I need, I hope, only $10, I wouldn't try Open Office without it.)

We can't really offer support for anything from Luxuriousity, if it is not the standard official version of OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 for Mac OS.

Polly wrote:
I keep getting this "configuration data" error, in an alert box that shows up at random positions on and nearly off the screen. I changed my monitor resolution to more likely see it. To make it show up, I bring Start OpenOffice.org to the front by clicking in the Dock, choose File - New - Text, and after a Please Wait... and the splash screen, where a progress bar goes about two-thirds across, then the error alert appears.

Sometimes it's a minimized box, just the label, on top of the "login" window label, and when I click it, it expands to show the error. The error states:

{Label - OpenOffice.org 1.1.2}
cannot be started due to an error in accessing the configuration
data.

Please contact your system administrator.

The following internal error has occurred: GetStorage, name: "No
Content!
{ OK }

I have personally have never seen this particular error before. I believe the problem is caused by the name of volume on which you installed OOo - see below.

Polly wrote:
I looked for, but could not find, .sversionrc since my oo.o applications are in a non-bootable partition, (XDarwin is in Applications/Utilities/ on the boot volume).

The ".sversionrc" file will typically get created on the first successful launch of OOo 1.1.2 for Mac OS X - since you are apparently not getting that far, it is not surprizing you can't find the ".sversionrc" file. By the way, this file will ALWAYS be on your boot drive unless your home directory is NOT on the boot drive (not really a supported configuration).

Polly wrote:
Has the problem of not being on the boot volume been fixed in 1.1.2 for Mac? Or should I try to launch without the Start oo.o program - I would be working in the dark here, I don't know anything about UNIX...

I'm not aware of any known problems with installing OOo onto other volumes than the boot volume - I do this all the time. "Start OpenOffice.org" doesn't appear to be your problem, although I admit it is possibly getting confused by your volume name - see below.
Polly wrote:
In an xterm window of XDarwin, I should enter:
Code:

setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH localhost/Data%20%26%20Apps/Apps/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/filter
   cd localhost/Data%20%26%20Apps/Apps/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program
   sh soffice
If it messes me up, I can just reboot, right? Should I put Volumes or localhost? Does it need a colon, ie "localhost:"?

If you really insist upon trying this, then you want to use "/Volumes" not "localhost"; do NOT use escaped URLs (quote the paths instead).

So it should look something like :

Code:

setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH "/Volumes/Data & Apps/Apps/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program:/Volumes/Data & Apps/Apps/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/filter"
   cd "/Volumes/Data & Apps/Apps/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program"
   sh soffice

Polly wrote:
Thanks for any help you can give. And if I'm asking for a new document, of course there's no content! What's its problem? Laughing

I strongly suspect the problem is the name of the volume onto which you installed OOo. Your life will be a lot easier if you restrict the set of characters you use in volume names - I would avoid spaces and any special punctuation characters. I would suggest renaming the volume to something like "Data_And_Apps".

You will probably want to throw away your current OOo installation, and try again - perhaps use your boot volume on which to install OOo, until you have a working version, then you can experiment with other volumes (and NO, you can not move OOo after installation).

Alternatively, NeoOffice/J might be an easier solution for you.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry
Polly
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Installation on other than boot volume

Terry,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. You said:
Quote:

I strongly suspect the problem is the name of the volume onto which you installed OOo. Your life will be a lot easier if you restrict the set of characters you use in volume names - I would avoid spaces and any special punctuation characters. I would suggest renaming the volume to something like "Data_And_Apps".

You will probably want to throw away your current OOo installation, and try again - perhaps use your boot volume on which to install OOo, until you have a working version, then you can experiment with other volumes (and NO, you can not move OOo after installation).

Now I have to wonder if renaming the Data & Apps to Data_Apps would look to OOo the same as moving the app? I really don't look forward to uninstalling and re-installing.

If I do uninstall maybe I'll check out the NeoOffice/J instead of trying to reinstall. The J is for Jaguar, right? and NeoOffice uses Aqua and I won't have to bother with any Unix commands?

Jag crashes so often, I have another partition just for 10.1.5. The name has a space in it, I never had any problem with that before... The default name from Apple is "Macintosh HD", that has a space.

Is there a NeoOffice for 10.1.5? I think OOo.1.0.3 works with that system, and the partition is big enough I can install either of those on the boot volume. I already have XDarwin, can I just copy it to the other partition - will it work on 10.1.5? Does NeoOffice need it?

Sorry to be such a dunce!
Polly

Looks like another all-nighter no matter which way I go.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Installation on other than boot volume

Polly wrote:
Now I have to wonder if renaming the Data & Apps to Data_Apps would look to OOo the same as moving the app? I really don't look forward to uninstalling and re-installing.

Yes, this would be the same as moving the app.

Polly wrote:
If I do uninstall maybe I'll check out the NeoOffice/J instead of trying to reinstall. The J is for Jaguar, right? and NeoOffice uses Aqua and I won't have to bother with any Unix commands?

No "J" is for Java, and I believe requires Mac OS X 10.2.x or later.

Polly wrote:
Is there a NeoOffice for 10.1.5?

I don't believe so.

Polly wrote:
I think OOo.1.0.3 works with that system, and the partition is big enough I can install either of those on the boot volume. I already have XDarwin, can I just copy it to the other partition - will it work on 10.1.5?Does NeoOffice need it?

NeoOffice/J does not require XDarwin, but see above.

Regards, Terry
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject:

Polly wrote:
(from Luxuriousity, hey it's a CD with all I need, I hope, only $10, I wouldn't try Open Office without it.)

The standard .dmg that's downloadable for free from OpenOffice.org also (by design!) includes everything one needs for OOo and a nice installer that does everything in one process. Is it not clear that this is the case?

This also brings up the question: are there any authorized OOo community distributors who have the Mac OS X .dmg on their CDs so that Mac users who want CDs can buy from legit sources rather than from evil leeches?

(I can't say that I really have the time to go trolling on eBay to distribute OOo Mac CDs so eBay users who happen upon OOo don't buy from the leeches, but....)

Smokey
visitor (UT-USA)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: file corruption may cause this also...

I don't know if my linux (debian) is related in any way, but this may help somone.

CAUSE:
My system suffered a power loss. OpenOffice stopped working immedately after.

Though I haven't found any corrupted files, file lists (like tunes in my music player, for example) were unreadable ASCII garbage. My guess is reiserFS caching or inode caching didn't get a chance to synch up as it would have during a proper pouwerdown.

TESTING:
I logged in as root, and launched OpenOffice without problem. The software was therefore working, all that remained was permissions or configuration. It turned out to be configuration.

FIX:
In linux, the settings file and settings directory are in /home/. I'm sure MacOS will be elsewhere. The fix is to move (or delete, if you're brave) both of the configuration files. The 1st 3 steps below are done from a command line, but you can search and move them however you prefer.

0. cd /home/
1. mv .sversionrc .sversionrc.bak
2. mv .openoffice .openoffice.bak

Now launch openoffice. I can't make promises, but moving this 2 files is what fixed my OpenOffice problem.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject:

In addition to those ".sversionrc" files there are some others which OOo X11 will keep around and may need to be removed on a per-home-directory basis: .user60.rdb, .saves*, perhaps others. There will also be some files in ~/Library/Preferences if you're using 112GM as that's where I coded the scripts to move the personal settings and files. Other builds may store those in the "/Applications/OOo/user/" subdir.

I'm unsure if it'd help, but in the past there have been reports the "Fix Permissions" utility of /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility" can help track some of these dangling permissions down from migrating computers or creating/deleting user accounts.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
(yeah, OT, but sorry for the rant above too...it was over a year ago after a few bottles of wine and b4 I made the ranting forum Smile )

ed

Maybe that post should be moved there. I was actually more shocked by the page starting with posts by Terry Teague, as if someone made a sick joke. That was before I realized these were old posts.

Good thing you have the rating forum now Smile.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1