· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - can't print to deskjet since upgrading to Panther
can't print to deskjet since upgrading to Panther

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishakim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: can't print to deskjet since upgrading to Panther

I've had 1.0.3 running fine for months, but since upgrading my systems to Panther (now 10.3.1), I cannot print from OOo to my deskjet 930c. My iBook can still print to the network laser printers at school, using direct PS printing, but neither it nor my G4 desktop can print to the DeskJet via USB.

When I try to print to my deskjet or to create a PDF, OOo acts as if it printed with no problem, but nothing is printed nor is any .pdf file created

I would assume this means something's wrong with the way CUPS is configured under 10.3, but I don't know where to start looking.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Jim actually found some documents that seemed to indicate the HP drivers for 10.3 may be problematic in general. Check out the end of this 10.3 printing thread (well, last post as of this posting):

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=223

I tried printing on my Lexmark inkjet a while back and hadn't noticed anything but will retest.

ed
mishakim
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject:

Flakey HP drivers would probably expalin my inability to create desktop printers and to view the print queue. I tried reinstalling them from the HP download, but it didn't make any difference.

I think, though, since I also can't create PDFs from OOo, and as I understand it, that doesn't involve any OS X printing components, that the problem is with my OOo install, probably related to the fact that I did an acrhive/install of Panter rather than an upgrade, so whatever files OOo had put in the BSD or OS X system folders are gone. Is there a quick way to restore those, other than reinstalling OOo?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...AFAIK archive and install will also archive the contents of /private, which contains the standard Unix directories /usr, etc.

If you're having difficulty creating PDFs, try reinstalling Ghostscript:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/espgs/espgs-7.05.5-0.ppc.dmg?download

The OOo installer includes 7.05.5. That's the most tested against version...not the most recent version. In order for printing with OOo to work, you need to have "/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf" available. Since the Finder prevents /usr from being made visible due to Apple's desire to protect people from OS X's Unix underpinnings, you can only check if you have ps2pdf by opening Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and typing:

ls -al /usr/local/bin/ps2pdf

If the Terminal spits out "No such file or directory", you'll need to reinstall Ghostscript. If you've installed X11 with your Panther install, this should be the only component you need to reinstall to print.

If you want to convert/import more fonts, you'll need to reinstall fondu:

http://fondu.sourceforge.net/Fondu-030428.pkg.sit

If OOo is still launching, those should be the only other two components that would need to be reinstalled.

Ah, I just love system upgrades Smile

ed
mishakim
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks, reinstalling Ghostscript did the trick, though now there's a new, minor, problem: when printing from OOo, the printer draws in the sheet then spits it out twice before slowly drawing it in a third time and printing normally. It seems that paper type is stuck on Letter Banner—I've tried changing it to US letter through both the Print dialog -> Properties and the Printer Settings -> Properties, but every time I return to the setting, it's back to Letter Banner.

Any ideas what is causing that?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1