Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OO 2 on Mac - Won't run
OO 2 on Mac - Won't run

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lachlan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: OO 2 on Mac - Won't run

Where is Mac Support for OO 2.0 please? The dmg when mounted shows only one file ("OpenOffice.org 2.0") at 341.4 MB - no ReadMes or anything. I can't even get a splash screen, and its Menu Bar has only File Open > Use Startup Screen (greyed) and Edit has several greyed out choices except for Edit Script, and the application quits immediately.

Crash Reporter shows:

Host Name: Steve-Kirkbys-Computer.local
Date/Time: 2005-10-30 20:32:11 +0000
OS Version: 10.3.4 (Build 7L32)
Report Version: 2

Command: soffice.bin
Path: /Volumes/OpenOffice.org 2/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice.bin
Version: ??? (???)
PID: 707
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /Volumes/OpenOffice.org 2/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice.bin can't open library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
xslf
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Might be basic, but I'll ask anyway: Do you have X11 installed? If so- is it Apple's or another X11 version?

Also, which version of OSX are you using?

Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ericb->xslf

>Where is Mac Support for OO 2.0 please?

Official support for OOo2.0 is here : <http://porting.openoffice.org/>
And I invite you to subscribe on dev@porting mailing list.
xslf
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Funny, I was watching your (Eric) presentation on VLC, following it in Preview (for some reason, the OOo file refused to download properly).

Anyway, I am not sure who are you quoting- it defently wasn't me (I was attempting to get some info from the OP so I can help).

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject:

my first question too would be do you have X11 installed on your machine.

are you running it direct from the mounted image? I did that when i downloaded it, and it did work, but you never know...

what should happen when you click on the program (forgive me if you already know all this) is that it will show up in the dock, bounce for a few seconds, then x11 will pop up, start (you will get at least one unrelated x11 window) then the OO.o splash screen will pop up.

If x11 is there, i would try running it by itself first, just to make sure it works as intented. you may also want to do check permissions, etc.
Andrew Gough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Same deal

I am an OS X noob but have had no problems until now. I am in an admin account on 10.4.2 and as advised I installed X11 from my installation disk. I have rebooted and tried to install OO.o 2. I get the same as lachlan - basically nowt.

There are no splash screens, no frantic hard drive noises etc. All that happens is that the menu bar changes to show 3 menus "OpenOffice.org | File | Edit". In the main app menu, About OO.o, Service, Hide (both) and Quit are the only main items in black, Edit has Edit Script - everything else is grey. If I switch to another app and come back it is no longer running and only Finder is there.

I don't have the knowledge yet to provide any dumps but it basically seems to initialise as far as the menu then simply stops.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject:

it sounds like x11 is not initialing for either of you. first i would start x11 by itself and make sure it works. then i'd try opening the oo.o.app with x11 open already and see if that works. and finnally i'd try to do a direct call from x11 (which i _think_ you can do even though it is a .app file) using:

(wherever you have oo.o)/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice.bin

in the x11 window.

also, the guys at the dev porting list would probably like to hear about this, perhaps with a consule log and os config info.

hope some of that helps...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:

First off, make sure you have Apple's X11.app installed properly.

Then, when you mount the diskimage and see the OpenOffice.org2.0.app application bundle, DO NOT DOUBLE-CLICK ON IT! Drag it into your /Applications folder first.

When you launch OpenOffice.org2.0.app, it will cause X11 to launch automatically. After you see that it works at all, you will need to go into the X11 preferences and make the following settings:

Emulate 3-button mouse: CHECKED
Use System Keyboard Layout: CHECKED
Enable Keyboard Shortcuts under X11: UNCHECKED

I also think that there are different versions of OpenOffice.org2.0.app for 10.3.x and 10.4.x. That could be a problem, too.
spalkot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: I agree

I give up trying to install OpenOffice 2.0. I am not crazy about NeoOffice/J, but I guess I can't complain about that which is free. I agree with the guy who started ths whole thread that trying to figure out x11 is very difficult. I'm no dummy, and am moderately proficient at computers, but cannot figure it out. I don't blame him for gong back to MS Office, but I don't have $150 lying around (to buy the "student" version)

If somebody can explain in super plain English how to get Openoffice 2.0 running, that would help a lot of people besides me. The Setup guide pdf is poorly written. Thanks.

Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the instructions. Although I found disk 1 and disk 2 for my OS 10.3 installation I could not find disc3 (I don't remember having one). Anyway, I then tried to download X11 from the mentioned Apple site which had nothing simple like "download X11 installer here" but mentioned something called Free86 or something on which X11 is apparently based. I thought of trying to download this Free 86 thing but was dumped into page after pager after page of totally incomprehensible technical stuff written by no doubt clever experts but who find difficulty in making things clear and simple for intelligent but non-tech non computer enthusiasts. The only downloads (ftp or internet) offered produced a web page of many files with cryptic names.

Sorry folks, but I'm leaving you to carry on with OpenOffice and will return to MS Word, until you produce software which has one file only, called Install. Is that too much to asdk of you guys? I'm too busy to faff around like this.

Sorry about the rant, but the whole complexity and hideous unfriendliness of Open stuff raises my blood pressure.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Sorry folks, but I'm leaving you to carry on with OpenOffice and will return to MS Word, until you produce software which has one file only, called Install. Is that too much to asdk of you guys? I'm too busy to faff around like this.

Sorry about the rant, but the whole complexity and hideous unfriendliness of Open stuff raises my blood pressure.

This is exactly why I created NeoOffice/J:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: laughable complaints

Forget about going back to MS Office. It is too complex to install or use. It might need you to download something or drag something from one window to another. Also, it makes things really hard by asking where to save files when you are done typing. That's too much.

Sarcasm aside, the openoffice packaging, with everything self-contained in a folder represented by one icon that is dragged wherever you want it, is actually easier than setting off a complex process such as installing a bunch of files on your system. In that sense, it is emulating the mac ease-of-use that is so beloved by mac enthusiasts.

Back to Sarcasm:
When you go back to MS Ofiice, don't double-click on Word if you're trying to open Excel. MS Office is actually an extremely complex bundle of funtionality (don't even think about macros). I suggest you dump the whole thing and get a secretary.

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the instructions. Although I found disk 1 and disk 2 for my OS 10.3 installation I could not find disc3 (I don't remember having one). Anyway, I then tried to download X11 from the mentioned Apple site which had nothing simple like "download X11 installer here" but mentioned something called Free86 or something on which X11 is apparently based. I thought of trying to download this Free 86 thing but was dumped into page after pager after page of totally incomprehensible technical stuff written by no doubt clever experts but who find difficulty in making things clear and simple for intelligent but non-tech non computer enthusiasts. The only downloads (ftp or internet) offered produced a web page of many files with cryptic names.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: X11 download site

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

"the whole complexity and hideous unfriendliness of Open stuff raises my blood pressure"

I think this is an ideological rather than ease of use issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject:

I'm not worried at all about ease of use of OO (once downloaded) or Microsoft Office. I expect that OO would be very easy to use and probably reliable, and it would insulate me from the high cost of upgrades every few years as the old MS Office no longer worked on future Mac OSs. And I see attraction in supporting such an apparently altruistic enterprise as the Open Org idea.

Its just the complexity of getting OO downloaded and launched on my Mac that is my issue, as I described. Nearly every software package that I have downloaded and launched since software became relatively user-friendly (say, since about 1995) involves just two steps: Press a button or click a link called "download"; then double click a button or file called "Run" (or something similar) (perhaps with the addition of a simple wizard or disk image install window). Just compare that with doing the same for OO. Is that as simple? Why does it have to be so hugely complex? Why no wizard with questions and advice at the necessary steps? Can anyone really think that a commercial organisation could stay alive offering such a complex download.
Quote:
I think this is an ideological rather than ease of use issue.

No, its not idealogical, not at all.

And I don't care that MS Office is
Quote:
an extremely complex bundle of funtionality
like I don't care if my car is part-way to being as complex as a plane. As a user I just don't care. All I cared about yesterday was ease of getting it into my computer in under half a day and then failing. Only experts and real computer enthusiasts enjoy technical complexity. Is OO only for them? The Apple Mac was designed "for the rest of us" (to quote Jobs). There are lots of us around.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject:

ok, so i am confused. and the following is serious, i am not attacking, picking on, being sarcastic, etc.

first. you are reffering to openoffice.org 2.0, correct?
second. when opened the .dmg file, what was inside, exactly?

the reason i ask is this, when i downloaded the 2.0 dmg, what was inside was two files. one was the oo.o.app file and the other was a readme. i ran the file straight from the dmg file, and it worked, and later ran it from my harddrive directly.

granted, i already had x11 installed on my machine, which i believe was part of the issue previously stated in this thread.

i do know that previuos versions of oo.o 2.0 had to be installed and did not have any nice user launch abilities in of themselves (start openoffice.org worked with them though).

i understand you are frustrated, but if you could explain just a bit more, we could be helpful.

(oh, and i really suggest giving neooffice a try, though still oo.o1.1.4, it is a simple install, no x11 requirements and many mac interegrated abilities)

-jacob
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5