Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Compile breakage in NeoJ VCL?
Compile breakage in NeoJ VCL?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Compile breakage in NeoJ VCL?

Greetings! I finally got the Ximian icon patches into the OOo part of NeoJ but am now having a little difficulty compiling the NeoJ VCL. When I get into it for some reason it seems to be complaining about dependencies on a header that *does* exist:

Code:

=============
Building project vcl
=============
/Volumes/abyss/neoj/neojava/build/vcl/macxp_extras/x11osx
-------------
/Volumes/abyss/neoj/neojava/build/vcl/source/unotypes
-------------
/Volumes/abyss/neoj/neojava/build/vcl/source/helper
dmake:  Error -- `../../java/inc/svsys.h' not found, and can't be made
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Volumes/abyss/neoj/neojava/build/vcl/source/helper

I did verify that I have neojava/vcl/java/inc/svsys.h and that it exists. Anyone experienced this particular error before? I haven't done much tracking to try and find what could be causing it.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Compile breakage in NeoJ VCL?

OPENSTEP wrote:
Greetings! I finally got the Ximian icon patches into the OOo part of NeoJ but am now having a little difficulty compiling the NeoJ VCL. When I get into it for some reason it seems to be complaining about dependencies on a header that *does* exist:

dmake: Error -- `../../java/inc/svsys.h' not found, and can't be made

I did verify that I have neojava/vcl/java/inc/svsys.h and that it exists. Anyone experienced this particular error before? I haven't done much tracking to try and find what could be causing it.

I haven't had this specific error with OOo, but I had a similar problem today with a completely unrelated project, and it turned out to be a permissions problem - check that the "svsys.h" file or its parent directories at least have read (execute in the case of directories) permissions for you the user.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject:

Ed,

Here is what I think is happening. You have built NeoJ far enough the neojava/vcl directory has a bunch of softlinks (i.e. the build.neo_%_patch targets have been run) and you are trying to rebuild the neojava/build/vcl directory.

The problem is that neojava/build/vcl is the OOo build directory and the build.neo_%_patch target has move neojava/build/vcl/unxmacxp.pro to neojava/build/vcl/unxmacxp.pro.oo. The neojava/build/vcl/unxmacxp.pro now contains the neojava/vcl build (neojava/vcl/unxmacxp.pro is a softlink to it).

Are you trying to rebuild the OOo vcl module or the NeoJ module? To rebuild the NeoJ module, source neojava/build/MacosxEnvJava.Set, cd to neojava/vcl, and type build (there is no need to deliver).

Rebuilding the OOo vcl module is a bit more involved as the NeoJ build assumes that the OOo code rarely, if ever, needs to be rebuilt. In any case, it can be done. Let me know if this is what you are trying to do.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject:

Well, I haven't been trying to rebuild it, I've just been trying to build it in the first place. I've never been able to build 0.7 successfully yet through the java vcl module, so it's never actually compiled (e.g. no build.neo_vcl_patch trace file is created as the `alias build` step is failing).

I actually never needed to trigger a rebuild of OOo as my patches were applied before I did a full OOo build in the NeoJ source. Creepy thing is, though, that it is running through the full OOo top level dmake each time I invoke "make", even after the OOo build has successfully completed. I think it may be a dependency issue that's unrelated to my vcl build problem, though.

It makes trying to fix it a pain in the ass, however, since each time I blow away the neojava/vcl directory I need to rerun through the makefile and top level dmake (with its own crackheaded desire to recompile the locale code and relink each time it runs) just to make the symlinks for the neojava/vcl. So thus I only get about one try of getting it to compile a day.

I checked permissions as well, and nada. All of the directories and files have proper permissions.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject:

Ah, I'm a moron...it actually is complaining when it tries to rebuild the "build.oo_all" target! Strange...does the current build system simply symlink files into the /neojava/vcl directories, or is it copying things into the build directory?

I simply touched the build.oo_all file to skip that step and now compilation is continuing. I suspect I may have actually made it through a complete OOo build before applying some of the changes to my OOo related patches judging from the modification dates of some of the other build.oo_* files.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject:

The files in neojava/vcl, neojava/sal, etc. are symlinks to neojava/build/vcl. neojava/build/sal, etc.

I use the symlinks to avoid copying the entire OOo cvs module. This, of course, causes its own pain. However, in theory, it should make it very easy to determine which OOo files were changed and incorporated in NeoJ when we upgrade to the OOo 1.1 code.

Generally, if I modify an OOo file, I first delete the symlink and then put my new file in its place so that it can be cvs added when I am ready to check it in. If you are editing file in the build directory (or via the symlinks) this is what is probably triggering the build.oo_all target to be outdated.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1