· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - setting NeoOffice as default
setting NeoOffice as default

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pittoja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: setting NeoOffice as default

I'm currently running NeoOffice/J on my PowerBook G4 with Tiger. Whenever I doubleclick on, say, a word document or even a native .swx file that is sitting on my desktop, I get an error code 10660 and it says the operation could not be completed. How do I set up so that NeoOffice is my default application for .doc and .swx files where ever they are? It's a little annoying having to open up the application first and then do the "file"-->"open"-->etc routine. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject:

That's bizarre; Neo/J should set itself as the default for all the .sx* types (as long as it was the last app installed that claims to open them). You should be able to double-click them to open, or drag-drop (the MS files we don't claim ownership of in case people have MS apps, too Smile).

You can try the steps mentioned in this article in the wiki to do a "brute force" update of the file-to-app bindings.

Uncle Google and Apple Discussions all seem to indicate that (stupid, fragile) LaunchServices has somehow lost track of NeoOffice/J, or the right copy of Neo/J, in the case you somehow have two copies installed. (If you have two copies for some reason, put one in the trash and then empty the trash.)

So you might also try (when Neo/J is not running) dragging Neo/J to the Desktop and then dragging it back to the Applications folder. This should cause LaunchServices to re-index the supported file types and update Neo/J as the last application "installed".

Let us know if either of those suggestions work (or fail).

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:

Agree. Dump your LaunchServices cache file (HD/Library/Caches?, do a Find or Spotlight for it). Click once on a .doc file, Command-i on it to bring up the Get Info box for the file and choose "other" after you choose "open with". Now go to the Neo/J.app and select it. Also, click the "open all" or "change all" button while in the Get Info box. Repeat for a .swx file.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject:

FWIW, stumbled across this in my daily viewing

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051104055843452
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
FWIW, stumbled across this in my daily viewing

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051104055843452

That isn't relevant; Neo/J includes (and has included since day 1) the proper Info.plist keys.

Guest wrote:
Dump your LaunchServices cache file

I'd only dump the LaunchServices database only as a very last resort; too many things are stored in there that will cause nightmares (well, maybe just bad dreams) trying to restore.

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject:

OK Sard, you seem to know you're stuff so maybe he shouldn't, but I have done it without major complications. Although I haven't ever strayed too far from default settings.

Also, I wonder what the tip is good for then? Seems like NOJ is supposed to behave like other native cocoa OS X apps but maybe because of the JAVA based execution it doesn't? Dunno... Just asking. Something is preventing his machine from recognizing the settings/launch association he desires and in my experience, the cache is almost always to blame...
pittoja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks everyone for the replies. It turns out the solution was pretty simple. I used to have the OpenOffice that runs on the X11 and it was still sitting in my trashcan. I dumped it and now I can open the .sx files from anywhere.

I just wanted to make sure I was clear on the .doc files. Are you saying that there is no way to set up Neo/J to open when a .doc file is double clicked. I just wasn't clear on that from your post.

Thanks again.

pitto
pittoja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:

uuuhh. just ignore my last post. I missed one of the replies that told me exactly what to do. Everything's working fine now. Many thanks.

pitto
Guesty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:

You're quite welcome. Glad it's sorted out....
neokate
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Amazing.

I'm a total neophyte to neooffice, just switched from PC to apple, and am not that technical. The same "10660" error issue was driving me batty until I found this forum. Emptying my trash bin worked! Thank you so much, everyone!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject:

neokate wrote:
Amazing.

I'm a total neophyte to neooffice, just switched from PC to apple, and am not that technical. The same "10660" error issue was driving me batty until I found this forum. Emptying my trash bin worked! Thank you so much, everyone!
Welcome to NeoOffice, neoKate.

We are glad that you found us, AND that you found the solution to your issue. Very Happy The Forums are "truly" your friend. There is so much information available here. Don't forget to check out NeoWiki at http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Main_Page!
If you have not read the pages list on the Wiki home page, you are not using all the power of NeoOffice!

Welcome to the Wonder Full World (WFW) of NeoOffice.

Philip ( Found NeoOffice by accident, stayed for the community! Wink )

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1