Start OpenOffice not working

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pieggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
pieggi wrote:

2) Even with the space, the path
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/soffice doesn' exists on my pc.
Under /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org i have only those files: (after a ls)
LICENSE licenses
LICENSE.html presets
README program
README.html readmes
THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html share
help

no soffice Sad

full path should be /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice

- yoxi

yup! There's an error in readme Smile
I tried to run the new path from shell and x11 open (started from applications->utilities->x11 on finder), but i get this error:
Quote:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.bin X11 error: Can't open display:
Set DISPLAY environment variable, use -display option
or check permissions of your X-Server
(See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)

obviously, since bash has problems with spaces, i wrote the following command
/Applications/OpenOffice.org\ 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice
to run it.
what does this error means?

ps: thanks to jakeOSX and yoshi for your replies! Smile
Wink
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:

pieggi wrote:

The X-Server DISPLAY error means one of two things:

Your X-Server is not running. Or:
Your X-Server security settings are incorrect and are not allowing your user to connect to the server.

I'm thinking the problem is the first as you must manually start the X-Server from the X11 Utility and THEN you must start soffice from a x-term session, NOT terminal. I ran into this problem when I started troubleshooting the Milestone builds (SRC680Mxxx or SRX645_Mxx.)
My familarity with X did help (I've been running X-Terminal sessions since the mid-90s) solve this problem.

I think that I will look at the README for how to use the application and suggest changes that will make it easier for folks new to the X11 environment to troubleshoot their installation of OpenOffice for MacOSX X11.

James
pieggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
pieggi wrote:

The X-Server DISPLAY error means one of two things:

Your X-Server is not running. Or:
Your X-Server security settings are incorrect and are not allowing your user to connect to the server.

I'm thinking the problem is the first as you must manually start the X-Server from the X11 Utility and THEN you must start soffice from a x-term session, NOT terminal. I ran into this problem when I started troubleshooting the Milestone builds (SRC680Mxxx or SRX645_Mxx.)
My familarity with X did help (I've been running X-Terminal sessions since the mid-90s) solve this problem.

I think that I will look at the README for how to use the application and suggest changes that will make it easier for folks new to the X11 environment to troubleshoot their installation of OpenOffice for MacOSX X11.

James

Hi James, thanks for your reply. Very Happy
My x11 version is X11 1.1 - XFree86 4.4.0
i tried to run te command in xterm, this is the result:
Quote:
iBook:~ pieggi$ /Applications/OpenOffice.org\ 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 1: uname: command not found
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 1: uname: command not found
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 47: [: too many arguments
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 1: dirname: command not found
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 1: basename: command not found
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 213: /Users/pieggi/pagein: No such file or directory
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 224: /Users/pieggi/.bin: No such file or directory
iBook:~ pieggi$

I suppose there's something wrong with x11 or with the OOo start script..
How do i change x11 security settings?
Thanks.
Claudio
pieggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:

gosh! i always forget something:
it was implied for me, but may not be true for you: OOo don't start at all, i don't see OOo menubars, nothing starts

Now i'll try to delete and reinstall x11 from Tiger's dvd

Thanks again.
Claudio
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject:

hmm. this is odd, the .app bundle usually will boot, even if you have to either open x11 first, or try it from the command line.

if re-installing x11 does not work, you may want to try one of two things.

first, you may want to try the 1.1.2 version, as it is a 'final' version, and the 2.0 is still a release canditate (mostly good, still got bugs)

second, you _could_ try this. this is how i use oo.o 2.0 right now

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1987

sorry it is causing trouble, it is a great program once it works =D

-ju
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject:

pieggi wrote:

Hi James, thanks for your reply. Very Happy

You are welcome.

pieggi wrote:

My x11 version is X11 1.1 - XFree86 4.4.0
i tried to run te command in xterm, this is the result:
Quote:
iBook:~ pieggi$ /Applications/OpenOffice.org\ 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 47: [: too many arguments
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 1: dirname: command not found
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 1: basename: command not found
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 213: /Users/pieggi/pagein: No such file or directory
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice: line 224: /Users/pieggi/.bin: No such file or directory
iBook:~ pieggi$

Interesting. Which version of MacOSX are you running? In Tiger (10.4.3) I ran the 'which uname' (this tells which version of a program you are running and if it exists in the program path) and received back /usr/bin/uname. Could you try this for each program that is called above where you got a program not found. It may be the names of the programs are changed if you are not running the English version of MacOSX (if this is not correct, please advise in a private message.)

pieggi wrote:

I suppose there's something wrong with x11 or with the OOo start script..
How do i change x11 security settings?

Let me ask one more question, are you trying to run OpenOffice as an administrative user (a user that has administrative rights to your system) or as a regular user?

Ciao!

James
pieggi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject:

hi all, i just woke up Wink
i tried which uname in xterm, this is the result:
Quote:
iBook:~ pieggi$ which uname
bash: which: command not found

Sad
but the path /usr/bin/uname exists and /usr/bin is in the path...
I have the latest osx version, 10.4.3, 1,33Ghz powerpc with 1 gb ram updated with all the updates. And the iBook was bought only ten days ago (11 nov).

later i'll read completely your last two posts and i'll reply better.

last question: since this isn't the first problem i have using scripts, may be a good idea reinstall osx from a blank hdd?

Thank again for your support
Claudio
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject:

pieggi wrote:
hi all, i just woke up Wink
i tried which uname in xterm, this is the result:
Quote:
iBook:~ pieggi$ which uname
bash: which: command not found

Sad
but the path /usr/bin/uname exists and /usr/bin is in the path...
I have the latest osx version, 10.4.3, 1,33Ghz powerpc with 1 gb ram updated with all the updates. And the iBook was bought only ten days ago (11 nov).

FWIW, the command runs here in both a X-term and Terminal window. But that does not mean that you have to redo your hard drive. However, I will suggest running the which command in a Terminal window first before you do that. It maybe the X11 installation is not proper and that is causing OpenOffice to fail when you try to run it. If the which command fails while running it in a Terminal window, I would consider rebuilding the hard drive after running some hard drive diagnostic programs on it (this may require taking your iBook to a service center as it appears to be new.)

Good luck in finding the problem.

James
pieggi
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject:

Hey!
Great news!
I reinstalled X11, rebooted and..
IT WORKS!!!

I'm so excited now that i can see OOo 2 running without problems when launched from xterm and from .app!!!
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Thank you so much! Very Happy

Claudio
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject:

great news!

hope you enjoy it. on the wiki there are lots of information about the X11 release:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/OpenOffice.org_Mac_OS_X_%28X11%29

-j
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject:

pieggi wrote:
Hey!
Great news!
I reinstalled X11, rebooted and..
IT WORKS!!!

I'm so excited now that i can see OOo 2 running without problems when launched from xterm and from .app!!!
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Thank you so much! Very Happy

You are welcome. I'm glad that you did not have to do a complete rebuild of your system.

Now, that you pointed it out, I have to dig out the DVD drive and back mine up again.

James
william
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: X11 download from Apple

Can I join this dialogue please ...

I have been using OpenOffice 1.1.2 through X11 on a G4 mac running OS10.3 successfully for over a year.

Now I have a new mac G4 running OS10.4. I have downloaded OOo_2.0.0rc3_051016_MacosxPPC_install.dmg and installed same. However I am having problems with X11. When installing the current download X11 from the Apple site I get the following message - "You cannot install X11 on this volume. Newer software exists on your computer".

When I search for "X11" on the HD there is no find.

So how do I install the newer X11 if I cannot find it ???

Any helpfull suggestions please.

Regards
gpiroux
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: X11 download from Apple

william wrote:
Now I have a new mac G4 running OS10.4. I have downloaded OOo_2.0.0rc3_051016_MacosxPPC_install.dmg and installed same. However I am having problems with X11. When installing the current download X11 from the Apple site I get the following message - "You cannot install X11 on this volume. Newer software exists on your computer".

I think that the X11 app available from Apple site is for Panther but not for Tiger. Did you try to install X11 from your Tiger DVD ?

gpiroux
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: X11 download from Apple

william wrote:
Can I join this dialogue please (not a problem joining us)...

So how do I install the newer X11 if I cannot find it ???

Any helpfull suggestions please.

William:

You need to use the Tiger install disk and look in the Optional Packages folder. In this folder you should find a X11 install package. You must install this package as a user with administrative rights (you do have two users on your system, one with rights and one without correct?) Go through the installation process. This will install X11 in the Applications -> Utilities folder. Once this is complete, you should be able to use either StartOpenOffice.org or the OpenOffice2.org application which calls X11 before starting the OpenOffice2 program.

X11 for Tiger is available from the Apple Software Distribution site, but I do not know its location.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2