NeoOffice :: View topic - EndNote
EndNote

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerrithauck
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: EndNote

Hi everybody,

I just got NeoOffice downloadet on my PB and I am absolutely fascinated...BUT: Can anybody tell me if there are plans to include EndNote 7 support into NeoOffice? And if so (Please!!!), when this is scheduled to happen?

I would really appreciate an answer to this question as I am working a hole lot with EndNote - which is, by the way, one of the most useful tools I have ever worked with (OpenSource Software of course exempted from that superlative Smile.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Hi Gerrit,

unfortunately, you are asking the question of the wrong developers - support for NeoOffice is dependent on EndNote developers writing the code to support the app, not the other way around. This is unlikely to happen unless MS Office suffers dramatically reduced market share on all platforms in the imminent future (in other words... never).

However, there is a way to use EndNote with non-MS Office suite apps. IIRC, there is a read me included with EndNote (or it is in the Help). It involves converting your document to RTF format and running EndNote on that and IIRC again, it actually offers a Service to do this. If you do a little hunting, you should be able to find the info somewhere.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Amending the above, unfortunately Services are presently incompatible with OOo and Neo as integrating Services requires actual development work that has not yet been undertaken (and won't be in the forseeable future as we have many other large projects to finish first).

IIRC, doesn't EndNote offer some type of integration through the Clipboard? If RTF won't work, perhaps that may be another avenue you can explore.

There are some attemtps at built in citation/bibliography tools within OOo & Neo, but they are somewhat paltry :/

ed
gerrithauck
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject:

Well guys, thanks for your time and hints - I will try that out immediately!

g
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Amending the above, unfortunately Services are presently incompatible with OOo and Neo as integrating Services requires actual development work that has not yet been undertaken (and won't be in the forseeable future as we have many other large projects to finish first).

You are correct - but what I meant was that you can use the Service on the saved RTF via the Finder (IIRC - it's been a long time since I had to use it).

Edit: I took a look at the EndNote 7 manual and the section entitled "Scanning and Formatting RTF documents" (Chapter 11, pp.288-306) tells you how to use it with WP other than Word.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject:

There are a couple of older threads about EndNote and EndNote alternatives; maybe it's time to make these a wiki Tips/Hints article Smile

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
There are a couple of older threads about EndNote and EndNote alternatives; maybe it's time to make these a wiki Tips/Hints article Smile

Using Citation and Bibliographic Software is now live, but needs some love and attention from folks with lots of experience in this area.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1