NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 doesn't want to work under 10.4.2
NeoOffice/J 1.1 doesn't want to work under 10.4.2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Good catch. The correct command is "javac Test.java". I updated my original post with the correct command.

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject:

OK, I've tried the test Java and that was fine, but Neo still didn't work.

so I formatted and reinstalled 10.4 then software-updated to 10.4.2. Then installed NeoOffice/J (NO other apps, utils, data, prefs, settings etc - this is a machine with purely 10.4.2 and NeoOffice/J).

NeoOffice/J still falls over with the same error.

Oh well! Time to go reinstall all my other applications again and restore my data I guess...
typeprof
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: neooffice 1.1 patch 0 and OSX 10.4.2 build 8c46

ok

so I am running a PB 17" 1.67 with 2 GB ram. I did an install of NeoOffice 1.1 over an older version and applied a language module. Repaired permissions using Onyx.

everything works fine.

so just to add to the questions could this be a "hardware" related problem?

are other apps also behaving badly?

In an earlier PB I had bad ram module and everything was problematic.

thank you folks for a wonderful program.

Paul
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Before you waste time filing a bug report, you might want to verify that Java 1.3.1 actually works. You can do this by running a simple Java program using the following steps:

1. Create a file called Test.java and put the following lines in it:

Code:
import java.awt.*;

public class Test {

public static void main(String[] args) {

Frame f = new Frame();
                Panel p = new Panel();
                f.add(p);
                f.setSize(500, 500);
                f.show();

}

}

2. Open a terminal and "cd" to the folder that you put the Test.java file in.

3. Compile the Test.java file using the following command (edit: updated the command as succeeding posts confirmed my original command had a typo):

Code:
javac Test.java

4. Run the compiled program with Java 1.3.1 using the following command:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Commands/java -classpath . Test

If a blank window appears when you run the program, then you know that Java 1.3.1 is working.

Patrick

Patrick, can these same steps (but substituting 1.4.2 for 1.3.1 in the final command) work to test a valid Java 1.4.2 installation? If so, I'd like to add it to the common troubleshooting tips article I'm working on.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject:

Yes. These same steps should apply although I haven't really seen any Java 1.4.x corruption issues yet.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
OK, I've tried the test Java and that was fine, but Neo still didn't work.

so I formatted and reinstalled 10.4 then software-updated to 10.4.2. Then installed NeoOffice/J (NO other apps, utils, data, prefs, settings etc - this is a machine with purely 10.4.2 and NeoOffice/J).

NeoOffice/J still falls over with the same error.

Oh well! Time to go reinstall all my other applications again and restore my data I guess...

this is most odd. if you started from a clean slate, installed tiger and it still is broken, well, that shouldn't happen.

you could try the Neo 1.2 alpha, it uses Java 1.4.2. it is still in testing, but it may actually work.

something else, you may want to re-download your 1.1 install file (from plasema site) as it may have been corrupted.

hope things work out!!

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject:

quick side note:

when you javac a file, doesn't it use 1.4.2 in tiger?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
quick side note:

when you javac a file, doesn't it use 1.4.2 in tiger?

Not necessarily. Tiger comes with 1.4.2 and 1.3.1 Out of the Box. You can add 1.5 support to Tiger but it will not be the default unless you make it so.

NeoOffice, by default, will use Java 1.3.1, if it can find it (which in most cases, it will.) Even Panther has the ability to incorporate Java 1.4.2 into it but not Java 1.5.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
NeoOffice, by default, will use Java 1.3.1, if it can find it (which in most cases, it will.) Even Panther has the ability to incorporate Java 1.4.2 into it but not Java 1.5.

Clarification: NeoOffice/J 1.1 uses Java 1.3.1 and NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha uses Java 1.4.x. Neither will use Java 1.5. Note also that neither release has any ability to fallback to a different JVM version if the required one is not found as the code required to support Java 1.3.1 and Java 1.4.x are radically different.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Clarification: NeoOffice/J 1.1 uses Java 1.3.1 and NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha uses Java 1.4.x. Neither will use Java 1.5. Note also that neither release has any ability to fallback to a different JVM version if the required one is not found as the code required to support Java 1.3.1 and Java 1.4.x are radically different.

Thank you for the clarification. Let me add one of my own: Both Tiger and Panther ship with Java 1.3.1. Panther has an add-on to support Java 1.4.2 and Tiger ships with it. Tiger has an add-on to support 1.5. Adding the new Java version support will not remove/alter the ability of MacOSX to support Java 1.3.1. So, if you install NeoOffice 1.1 with the latest patch for Java 1.3.1 it should work on either Panther or Tiger. Likewise with the Java 1.4.2 patch, if you install Java 1.4.2 support on Panther.

Something that I've found interesting is if your Java 1.4.2 installation is not working correctly then your Java 1.3.1 installation is more likely than not not working too.

James
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject:

right, i understand what java versions are shipped with what OS, what i meant was, when you compile a program doing a pure 'javac' command on tiger, doesn't it use the 1.4.2 Java by default?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
right, i understand what java versions are shipped with what OS, what i meant was, when you compile a program doing a pure 'javac' command on tiger, doesn't it use the 1.4.2 Java by default?

You are correct. Tiger will use Java 1.4.2 instead of Java 1.3.1.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2