NeoOffice :: View topic - Useless and obtrusive Printer Options dialog box
Useless and obtrusive Printer Options dialog box

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject:

to revert to a 'default' setting, go into your library (in your home directory) and move the neooffice preferences (to your desktop, or the trash, just not there).

when you restart neo it will make the default preferences (so you'll have to reconfigure everything).

-j
p.s. when i was six, i used my dad's mac (1984ish) later at age 10, i would sit in front of a DOS (IBM) computer and think, damn, this thing is broken...
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:

wheat wrote:
I realize that I have reached the point in life where I am an old codger and a curmudgeon. And I'm only 41.

Just wait 'til you're 43!

It's swingers and roustabouts, the mouse/key thing - I've been using computers since 1986, but never used a mac until 2000 (then immediately got myself one and haven't looked back - though sometimes sideways Smile) - but I've always had this 'the less I have to move my hands, the faster everything goes' ethic that runs from my drumkit to my computer skills. The reason why some of us memorise the key combos is that once your hands know them, it's automatic and faster - the synapses take over.
I hated it when windows first happened, and the software I was used to blitting through on my keyboard suddenly required me to switch from keys to mouse just to save something, for example, just because 'hey, look - graphics on screen - kewl!'. Now that app and OS designers have realised that people want to use both, things have improved a lot - and less RSI or carpal tunnel or whatever. It's good to have the choice, and though I find it hard to understand why you'd want to make all that extra effort to move your mouse around just out of brand loyalty, I respect your right to make that choice (hrm, sorry, I'm just being a wind-up...)
And of course, the self-irony comes in when I get pissed off that Safari is the only browser in the known universe that has no native 'back' item in its contextual menu, so I've either got to go waaaay up there with the mouse, or jump from mouse to keys to go to the previous url... jus' telegant it ain't. Thank goodness for Saft.

- yoxi [consigning himself to the rant section, or rodent hades, or something]
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject:

wheat wrote:
I tried sardisson's suggestion and modified the menu command exactly according to his post above.

Now NeoOffice crashes on startup. I cannot use the program at all.

Crud! JKT and val and I ran into this bug late in the 1.1 Performance Test cycle and we thought it had been fixed for good Sad

wheat wrote:
I'm running NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha Patch 2 on Tiger 10.4.3 with all the updates installed. Apparently modifying a menu hoses the whole program.

It shouldn't, but when a menu config file is corrupt (and I'm sure that's what's happened here), bad things happen....

wheat wrote:
Any ideas as to how to revert to the default menu settings when the program won't even launch?

To just get rid of this crash and not lose the rest of your prefs, you need only delete the ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x/user/config/soffice.cfg/writermenubar.xml file (and possibly the writerkeybinding.xml file, if you changed the keyboard shortcut, but that's not what we've seen corrupt before). If you wouldn't mind filing a bug and attaching those file, that would be useful towards getting this fixed again....

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:

The first time I changed the menu, I neglected to click on the "Modify" button (which was not in Sardisson's instructions). I just hit "OK" and that's when NeoOffice got hosed.

Before these recovery tips were posted, I just did a brute-force complete re-install of NeoOffice.

The next time I used the program, I attempted the same thing and then hit "Modify" before "OK".

It worked this time. My program seems to be operational again.

If somebody else wants to record the bug, please do.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject:

wheat wrote:
The first time I changed the menu, I neglected to click on the "Modify" button (which was not in Sardisson's instructions).

Embarassed Sorry about that Sad

wheat wrote:
I just hit "OK" and that's when NeoOffice got hosed.

That still shouldn't have happened...I'll look in to it.

I'm glad Neo is back working for you--and that you were able to get the behavior you desire Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2