Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)
NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I just committed some changes to the NeoOffice HEAD branch. With these changes, my Neo 2.0 build successful builds through the build.oo_all target on Panther.

Since OOo 2.0 has several new build dependencies than OOo 1.1.x had, I have documented the list of build dependencies that are needed for Panther. If you notice that this list is a subset of the list that the OOo X11 team publishes, don't be alarmed. This is because my build uses the following options when invoking OOo 2.0's configure script:

--disable-gtk --disable-mozilla

I disabled GTK support because NeoOffice does not use X11 and since GTK is based on X11, NeoOffice won't use any GTK features. I disabled Mozilla support because, IIRC, getting the Mozilla address book libraries to build and work correctly has been very tricky on the Mac in the past. Maybe things have changed, but since no one has ever complained about the lack of Mozilla address book support in existing NeoOffice and NeoOffice/J releases, I figured it was safe to continue on the same path.

If someone can get the current NeoOffice HEAD branch to build on Tiger with gcc 4, can they update the README.txt and put any required patches in a new Bugzilla bug so that I can commit them?

Edit: these changes won't show up in anoncvs until 3:00 am tomorrow morning Pacific time.

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I just committed some changes to the NeoOffice HEAD branch. With these changes, my Neo 2.0 build successful builds through the build.oo_all target on Panther.

Thanks. I built OpenOffice 2.0 with gcc4.0 but the .dmg file was completely empty. I'm posting an IZ as this is purely an OOo issue.

Found the problem It appears that epm failed and was not working correctly. There is a patch out for this, but I'm working on something else right now. It will be at least Tuesday before I can look at this problem again.

pluby wrote:

Since OOo 2.0 has several new build dependencies than OOo 1.1.x had, I have documented the list of build dependencies that are needed for Panther. If you notice that this list is a subset of the list that the OOo X11 team publishes, don't be alarmed. This is because my build uses the following options when invoking OOo 2.0's configure script:

I disabled GTK support because NeoOffice does not use X11 and since GTK is based on X11, NeoOffice won't use any GTK features. I disabled Mozilla support because, IIRC, getting the Mozilla address book libraries to build and work correctly has been very tricky on the Mac in the past. Maybe things have changed, but since no one has ever complained about the lack of Mozilla address book support in existing NeoOffice and NeoOffice/J releases, I figured it was safe to continue on the same path.

Ok. This looks good. I will download the HEAD and try building away.

pluby wrote:

If someone can get the current NeoOffice HEAD branch to build on Tiger with gcc 4, can they update the README.txt and put any required patches in a new Bugzilla bug so that I can commit them?

I had two issues with OpenOffice2.0_m142. One was corrected by Pavel and the other was due to a problem with connectivity and is addressed in IZ52789. I can look into these, but I would prefer building with gcc3.3 and then trying with gcc4.0.

pluby wrote:

Edit: these changes won't show up in anoncvs until 3:00 am tomorrow morning Pacific time.

Thanks, Patrick. I will be getting them tomorrow then.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I had two issues with OpenOffice2.0_m142. One was corrected by Pavel and the other was due to a problem with connectivity and is addressed in IZ52789. I can look into these, but I would prefer building with gcc3.3 and then trying with gcc4.0.

Keep in mind that I am not trying to keep up with every latest OOo build. The Neo HEAD branch will build the OpenOffice_2_0_0 tag as that is the last tag that Sun has released official OOo versions on Windows, Linux, and Solaris for.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

That's the default OOo build, right? Cool.

pluby wrote:
Since OOo 2.0 has several new build dependencies than OOo 1.1.x had, I have documented the list of build dependencies that are needed for Panther.

CVSweb question for anyone who knows: is there a way to get a link that 1) points directly to the text of the file and 2) always shows the most current revision? (I want to throw a link to that deps Readme in the wiki....)

So far, I can only either go to the page about the file (always current, but then you have to click around to actually view the contents) or view the file directly, but only a specific revision.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Keep in mind that I am not trying to keep up with every latest OOo build. The Neo HEAD branch will build the OpenOffice_2_0_0 tag as that is the last tag that Sun has released official OOo versions on Windows, Linux, and Solaris for.

Well, according to the 2.0 codeline schedule, we should have seen 2.0.1 in november, but I guess they're not going to make that....

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

Well, according to the 2.0 codeline schedule, we should have seen 2.0.1 in november, but I guess they're not going to make that....

All of the target version information for the changes for MacOSX were/are moved to 2.0.2. Looks like the .1 'upgrade' is nearing release.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

These may eliminate a problem I had building OpenOffice 2.0 on Tiger with gcc 4.0.

pluby wrote:

I'll try. Command used to retreive: cvs checkout HEAD NeoOffice...

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I just committed some changes to the makefile and the patches/openoffice directory to reduce the size of the build output in instsetoo_native. Since the NeoOffice build has OOo build all languages, the instsetoo_native module required about 40 gigabytes of disk!

So, I added a patch that only builds the en-US installer and then builds language packs for every other language. This eliminates all of the duplicate files in each OOo installer and shrinks the build output down to about 3 gigabytes of disk.

After 3:00 am Pacific time on Monday, December 12, I would suggest that you kill your build, "cvs update" your neojava directory, and invoke "make" again to have your build pick up where it left off.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I just committed some changes to the makefile and the patches/openoffice directory to reduce the size of the build output in instsetoo_native. Since the NeoOffice build has OOo build all languages, the instsetoo_native module required about 40 gigabytes of disk!

Yeouch! I tried that once and wondered why I ran out of hard drive space.
BTW, I got the WD 160 external working, but I'm not going to build on it as it is setup for Windows (still have to have it around for the wife's school system.)

pluby wrote:

So, I added a patch that only builds the en-US installer and then builds language packs for every other language. This eliminates all of the duplicate files in each OOo installer and shrinks the build output down to about 3 gigabytes of disk.

That's what I call a space saving idea.

pluby wrote:

After 3:00 am Pacific time on Monday, December 12, I would suggest that you kill your build, "cvs update" your neojava directory, and invoke "make" again to have your build pick up where it left off.

I have to finish the NeoOffice 1.2 build first. If I have not started it by then, it will be a simple refresh and start.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I disabled Mozilla support because, IIRC, getting the Mozilla address book libraries to build and work correctly has been very tricky on the Mac in the past. Maybe things have changed, but since no one has ever complained about the lack of Mozilla address book support in existing NeoOffice and NeoOffice/J releases, I figured it was safe to continue on the same path.

Patrick, IIRC Mozilla is also used for its crypto libraries. I suppose these are not a commonly used feature. I also recall postings on the dev@porting list abou binaries that have built correctly for the X11 version and may be included (if that is at all possible).

But it is somewhat low on the features list for me.

Good luck in your new job!

Best wishes,
Oscar

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

After restarting the build several times due to the schizophrenic OpenOffice server dying on a cvs checkout, I got to the NeoOffice offmgr build and found myself with an empty offmgr directory. Of course the build died there.Confused

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
After restarting the build several times due to the schizophrenic OpenOffice server dying on a cvs checkout, I got to the NeoOffice offmgr build and found myself with an empty offmgr directory. Of course the build died there.Confused

That is actually pretty good progress. Since you made it through the OOo portion of the build, you are at about the same place that I am. Just to be sure that you are, you will want to the following steps to sync your build with mine (I have updated a few of the Neo custom modules to match the OOo 2.0 code):

1. rm all of the build.neo_* files in the neojava directory
2. cvs update -d in the neojava directory
3. make

Since I have changed any of the OOo build commands, you won't need to redo the OOo build. After doing the above, the Neo custom modules should build through the framework module. sal (the one after framework) may build, but I am still merging my Neo 1.2 custom code into it so I would expect the build to crap out there.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

That is actually pretty good progress. Since you made it through the OOo portion of the build, you are at about the same place that I am.

This is on Tiger with gcc 3.3, not gcc 4.0. Do you want me to restart with gcc 4.0 or continue to build with gcc 3.3?

pluby wrote:

Just to be sure that you are, you will want to the following steps to sync your build with mine (I have updated a few of the Neo custom modules to match the OOo 2.0 code):

1. rm all of the build.neo_* files in the neojava directory
2. cvs update -d in the neojava directory
3. make

I will backup to my external drive and then do the cvs update.

pluby wrote:

Since I have changed any of the OOo build commands, you won't need to redo the OOo build. After doing the above, the Neo custom modules should build through the framework module. sal (the one after framework) may build, but I am still merging my Neo 1.2 custom code into it so I would expect the build to crap out there.

I think you meant to say "I have NOT changed..." I understand that.

Ok. I will check the logfile after running the rebuild.

James

Patrick[/quote]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I think you meant to say "I have NOT changed..." I understand that.

Yes, your assumption is correct.

BTW, I will commit my changes to Neo's sal module today so that sal will build properly. Merging the Mac alias resolution code and the file locking was tedious, but it took less than a day of work. You will see the new sal files tonight around 3:00 am in anoncvs.

Edit: with my sal updates, the build should build through Neo's custom sj2 module and will likely crap out in the stoc module.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
BTW, I will commit my changes to Neo's sal module today so that sal will build properly. Merging the Mac alias resolution code and the file locking was tedious, but it took less than a day of work. You will see the new sal files tonight around 3:00 am in anoncvs.

Good to hear of the progress Smile I know we're a long way from "there", but it's nice to see Neo code being built Wink

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16