· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Error opening files from a network drive
Error opening files from a network drive

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoPanda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Error opening files from a network drive

Hi,

I've installed OpenOffice 2.0 on my powerbook running 10.3.9. It's running perfectly on my local drive but I can't open a file form a network drive. eg, if I wanna open abc.xls form /Volumes/xxx/, it can't be opened. There is always an error message

"General input/output error while accessing /Volumes/xxx/abc.xls."

why is that? any solutions for this error? thanks!

Cheers,
KoPanda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject:

The problem is discussed in this thread, just a few threads below.

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Error opening files from a network drive

This problem is similar to one with linux and nfs shares. One solution which is not ideal but works is to comment out two lines in the soffice file.

Right or control click on the application and select Show Package Contents.

Double click on Contents and again on openoffice.org2.0. Double click on the program folder and open the file soffice using TextEdit or some other plain text editor.

Add comments (#) to the lines which enable file locking so they appear as below.

# file locking now enabled by default
#SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
#export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING

Save the changes and start OOo. Everything should work as expected.

Regards
Nigel Pegram.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject:

Well, the real fix would be to recompile OOo with Patrick's patches : http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=15387
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
Well, the real fix would be to recompile OOo with Patrick's patches (URL removed)

True, val, but some of the patches are for MacOSX 10.2 which is not supported for OOo 2.0 (2.0.1 soon). Thus, some of the patches can be removed. I think this is an issue that Patrick should deal with or delegate.

Blushing It helps to read through a message for the second time. Yep, right there in the store fix is what the OpenOffice.org folks need...

James

Last edited by jjmckenzie51 on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the locking tip - worked a treat and since I am the only one using the files from the server I don't have to worry about file locking .....
Ross Bernheim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Opening and Saving Files from Samba Server

This was the issue holding me back from using OOo 2.0 at work. I mostly work with documents on a Samba server (gnu/linux) so not being able to use them with OOo 2.0 was a show stopper.

I followed the easy instructions above and commented out the two lines and now things work as they are supposed to.

I will post the fix over to the OOo user mailing list the next time someone runs into the problem as no one over there knew the answer before.

Thanks,

Ross
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening and Saving Files from Samba Server

Ross Bernheim wrote:
This was the issue holding me back from using OOo 2.0 at work. I mostly work with documents on a Samba server (gnu/linux) so not being able to use them with OOo 2.0 was a show stopper.

I followed the easy instructions above and commented out the two lines and now things work as they are supposed to.

I will post the fix over to the OOo user mailing list the next time someone runs into the problem as no one over there knew the answer before.

This is a temporary fix and needs a permenant one. There is an open Issue on NFS file locking as it affects more than just the MacIntosh (although a majority of folks reporting problems are of that ilk.)

James

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject:

the problem with file locking seems to appear only with osx version 10.4.x not with 10.3.x
net-buoy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: 10.3?

Didn't the original poster indicate he was having the problem with 10.3.9?
The original posting showed the poster a Guest.... has there been a further posting from the same person confirming whether the problem continues to exist or has been resolved?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1