Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - GUI Icon Redesign
GUI Icon Redesign

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: For us dabblers...

..In the meantime, for those of us who *do* like to dabble, and masochistically tease ourselves with the frustration of "if only..." you can download a batch of these icons from
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Icons/Unofficial-Tango-7285.shtml

There are probably other sites around too.

In case you are worried that they might only be in svg format, they are actually in png 16, 22 and 24 as well. And they *are* very nice indeed.

Smile

Thanks again Smokey
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Or...

This is a slightly later update

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=32288
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: NeoIconer 0.8.2

Hey guys, I finally posted NeoIconer 0.8.2 up at:
http://www.brettisangry.com/NeoOffice/

Sorry this took so long, but I've been digging into the dark hole of fixing the remaining icons that we still can't replace. Sadly, all I have to show for it is a greater understanding of the problem. I trust it will lead to greater insight and maybe even a 1.0 release very early next year. But the holidays are upon me here in the U.S., and I figured I would get something out beforehand.

This is a very minor upgrade. If you already have NeoIconerX, there is no reason to install this version. All I did was make it configurable for different versions of NeoOffice and change the default background color to match the new Java. So this is really more for anyone new to the iconing game.

Happy holidays, to those who have holidays this time of year,
Brett
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject:

I have only just now started to 'play' with icons in NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice based entirely on using the resources I found in this thread. I just wanted to thank those involved which have brought the process this far that even I, a complete novice who really doesn't understand any of what has gone into this process and the underlying mechanics, can achieve a change in look that may have fooled some of my colleagues into accepting that NeoOffice has caught-up with Office in the GUI-looks department.

You don't need me to tell you that there's a clear case to summarise the work to-date into a much simplified process (perhaps on the wiki?) which would provide a simple step-by-step process for the ignorant to follow (and, potentially, undo if they decide to revert to the default later).

I'd be happy to contribute to such a process in the new year but I thought I should let you know that someone is following the work in this thread and has actually installed a slightly modified collection of icons onto some production computers in our office used every day.

Happy Christmas, one and all!

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:

You don't need me to tell you that there's a clear case to summarise the work to-date into a much simplified process (perhaps on the wiki?) which would provide a simple step-by-step process for the ignorant to follow (and, potentially, undo if they decide to revert to the default later).

So I'm not sure if in this you are just referring to the NeoIconer, but it does keep a backup of your toolbar icons as it finds them, and has a command line option to uninstall it. Of course, you could be talking about something completely different.

rays wrote:

I'd be happy to contribute to such a process in the new year

As far as I'm concerned, always room for something like this.

rays wrote:

I should let you know that someone is following the work in this thread and has actually installed a slightly modified collection of icons onto some production computers in our office used every day.

I do appreciate the mention. It's good to know the labors go to some use (especially since we, as a group, have made little-to-no progress in terms of getting a new default set of icons.)
Apfelsurfer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Hi folks,

I fiddled around a bit with NeoIconer (thanks for that tool, btw.!) and started with something that looks familiar with the icons in Tiger's Mail.app.
I also have a screenshot with a few "symbolic" icons, so to say. Just no webspace to post it somewhere, so if someone could help me out with that ...?

The question now is: Is there any interest in the community to develop the (my) idea behind "theme" to a more complete set? Because, just for myself, it's too much work. But if someone is interested ...
Any feedback is welcome.

Seb.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject:

You can upload your picture with ImageShack for example.
I will definitely be interested as I can't stand KDE themes Smile
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Apfelsurfer wrote:
Hi folks,

I fiddled around a bit with NeoIconer (thanks for that tool, btw.!) and started with something that looks familiar with the icons in Tiger's Mail.app.
I also have a screenshot with a few "symbolic" icons, so to say. Just no webspace to post it somewhere, so if someone could help me out with that ...?

The question now is: Is there any interest in the community to develop the (my) idea behind "theme" to a more complete set? Because, just for myself, it's too much work. But if someone is interested ...
Any feedback is welcome.

Seb.

Imageshack is probably the best idea, but If you would like them to go up on this site
http://au.geocities.com/aussie_149/index.html
just email them to me at
pmitch [at] ozemail [dot] com [dot] au

and I'd be happy to oblige.
Apfelsurfer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the idea with Imageshack.

The screenshot:

Seb.

Last edited by Apfelsurfer on Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Location?

Apfelsurfer wrote:
Thanks for the idea with Imageshack.

The screenshot:

Seb.

Hi Seb: is there a location on Imageshack? Clicking on your pic just takes me to a general Imageshack page.

Looks interesting

Peter
Apfelsurfer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject:

Hi Peter,

I edited the post, the click on the image should work now. Anyway, there isn't much more to see on the screenshot than seen before because I only have these few icons yet.

The idea is to put every icon on that round shiny blue background so the buttons get a more "aquaish" appearence. I defined the background and placed the individual icons on top with Photoshop, then merged the layers.

The problem is, the color of the icons should be more bright and white instead than dark-grey (as most of the sets we actually have are) to shine above the dark button-background. So, to complete the set is quite some work - and before I do more of that, I wanted to hear some opinions by the community.

I'll send you a set as soon as I have it a bit more complete, if you want to.

Seb.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject:

I definitely like this set Surprised
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject:

Apfelsurfer wrote:
Hi Peter,

I edited the post, the click on the image should work now. Anyway, there isn't much more to see on the screenshot than seen before because I only have these few icons yet.

The idea is to put every icon on that round shiny blue background so the buttons get a more "aquaish" appearence. I defined the background and placed the individual icons on top with Photoshop, then merged the layers.

The problem is, the color of the icons should be more bright and white instead than dark-grey (as most of the sets we actually have are) to shine above the dark button-background. So, to complete the set is quite some work - and before I do more of that, I wanted to hear some opinions by the community.

I'll send you a set as soon as I have it a bit more complete, if you want to.

Seb.

Sorry, Seb., we're still in the dark with Imageshack. However, you obviously have skills that will be great for those of us who can do little more than offer encouragement. FWIW, I would like to see you persevering. Do you want more icons to work on? I have 100-odd OS X icons from various sources.

Cheers
Peter
Apfelsurfer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Peter, val,

thanks for your encouragement. I'll fiddle around a bit more with the icons to complete at least a set for a "basic" installation, that will be the Neo word-processor icons that appear after a clean install. So anyone can have a good first impression of the icon set.

I would suggest that I finish this basic set and then send it to you, Peter, (val also if you want, or anyone else) so you can try it out or put it on your webpage. Then we can discuss if this path is worth trotting along any further Smile

Peter, if you could send me your icon collection, that would be great. My emails address is sduering (at) web (dot) de

Seb.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Apfelsurfer wrote:
(val also if you want, or anyone else)

Yes please Smile
val1984 -at- macbidouille -dot- com
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15