Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Official OpenOffice.org mac porting mailing list
Official OpenOffice.org mac porting mailing list

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericbachard
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Official OpenOffice.org mac porting mailing list

Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official OpenOffice.org mac porting mailing list

ericbachard wrote:
As long as you are nice and courteous, please use it for everything about Mac OS X port, native or not, like actual development, announces, roadmap ..etc

Thanks Eric for your invitation. I am interested to see what you are doing in your porting project. It may perhaps not come as a surprise to you that some people here may - at least initially - be a bit circumspect posting there considering how "nice and courteous" you have sometimes been in the past within this forum. Anyway, we shall see.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2006!
ericbachard
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject:

ericb->Glenner

I just want to announce and inform everyone searching for :

- informations about Official Mac OS x port of OpenOffice.org
- contribute (currently for QA) for OpenOffice.org
- discuss constructively about Mac OS X port ( since we have started native port)

...the best way is use mac@porting mailing list Smile

BTW : to be precise, " nice and courteous " comes from IRC topic (freenode.irc.net #openoffice.org), and I have used it both there and on dev@porting, for mailing list creation announce.

Regards,
eric bachard
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:

here is the link to the hamberg notes:

http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=mac&msgNo=20

good to see they are talking with dan, as he has been involved with the mac port since the begining.

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:

additionally, I have updated the wiki with links to the new porting page and to the notes post.

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/OpenOffice.org_Mac_OS_X_%28X11%29
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
here is the link to the hamberg notes:

http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=mac&msgNo=20

good to see they are talking with dan, as he has been involved with the mac port since the begining.

I found this bit very interesting:
Code:

Current status:
Now we have to clarify which toolkit to use, Carbon or continue with
Cocoa. Dan Williams reported problems with event handling in Cocoa and
Cocoa requires Objective-C wrappers. According to Apple's developer
documentation Carbon is better suited when porting Windows applications
and this is where VCL's internal design originally comes from.

Is this not what we said all along? VCL is not and will not be friendly to Cocoa. However Carbon does get along with VCL very nicely. And OpenOffice DID not start from Windows (it is an exercise of the student to figure out where OpenOffice/StarOffice originally started from.)

However, it is nice to see these notes and to figure out where the "Offical" OpenOffice Mac team is at.

James
ericbachard
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:

ericb->jjmckenzie

In fact this is more complicated. If we have correctly analyzed, Dan was using several event loops in same time, and everything has to be verified and reproduced before to conclude Cocoa is not usable.

API choice is (very) hardly discussed. The problem is the future of Carbon.

Eric Bachard
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject:

ericbachard wrote:
The problem is the future of Carbon.

Apple can't reasonably deprecate Carbon since many major applications are written in Carbon (MS Office, Adobe's Creative Suite and many more).
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:

ericbachard wrote:
ericb->jjmckenzie

In fact this is more complicated. If we have correctly analyzed, Dan was using several event loops in same time, and everything has to be verified and reproduced before to conclude Cocoa is not usable.

Ok. I think you are being a little stubborn, but Dan, Patrick, Ed and even Apple state that VCL with Cocoa will not work properly. However, you seem to have the time to test this, again. Yes, I am being a little sarcastic, but I work with Commercial software that states things cannot be done and we do them all the time. Maybe your team can find a different way to integrate VCL and Cocoa, but I am of the opinion that it would be easier and faster to find a substitute for VCL and integrate that with Cocoa. Of course, this would take man-years (I would estimate this to be around ten or so, but you have a large talented team so I think I would see this in around two to two and one-half years of steady work providing the team does not quit in the meantime or someone else finishes the work first.)

ericbachard wrote:

API choice is (very) hardly discussed. The problem is the future of Carbon.

I doubt Carbon is going anywhere. It has and will continue to be the method recommended by Apple to port over UNIX programs that use GTK/TCL as their interface and for existing Windows(TM) programs to be ported to the AQUA interfacing system. Given the predominance of these operating systems, Carbon will be here for a long, long time.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1