NeoOffice/J 0.7 patch available

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Max,

Using your instructions, I was able to replicate the 72 DPI problem. The bad news is that this is not a NeoJ bug but is a bug in the StarDraw application code. I was able to replicate the bug in the OOo X11 version. Generally, I don't fix the general OOo bugs as they should really be fixed in the OOo code (and probably have already been fixed in OOo 1.1).

I did find the cause of the printer setup dialog crashes. Java was crashing as a result of my fix for the keyboard layout switching bug but only on Panther (no surprise that Panther has problems). To fix this crashing problem, I made my keyboard layout fix less prone to thread collision. The fix is include in the following "patch-11":

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7-patch-11.tar.gz

Let me know if any bugs still remain after this patch. Hopefully, we are getting closer to a releasable state.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject:

This patch-11 solves all major bugs we discussed in this thread. The print process is now much faster on files with embeded images.

I found a small bug: after hiding Neo/J, if it regain focus by command-tabbing (panther version, displaying a big app-bar centered on screen), rather than by clicking its icon in the dock, the window does not redraw. Swithing to an other app and back to Neo/J make it redraw. This is not a 100% reproductible bug (I'd say 75%). Easy to reproduce anyway.

IMO, this small bug apart, this patch seems releasable.
pluby wrote:
Using your instructions, I was able to replicate the 72 DPI problem. The bad news is that this is not a NeoJ bug but is a bug in the StarDraw application code. I was able to replicate the bug in the OOo X11 version. Generally, I don't fix the general OOo bugs as they should really be fixed in the OOo code (and probably have already been fixed in OOo 1.1).

Yes, I suspected this, but tought it could add some mess in this resolution stuff. Looks like it's not related.

On images resolution matter, I understand that the Java printing paradigm make impossible to generate PDF file including bitmap pictures, keeping their original pixels numbers, and adding other vectorized elements. Even with transparency disabled my 7 pages graphic file, which I'm now happy to print with Neo/J at 300 dpi, gives a 75Mo PDF file. The same file printed by OOo make a 5Mo PDF, with no wisible image degradation even at high zoom factor.
Anyway, I don't think it's worthwhile to work more on this, because there are other tasks.

Well done.
Max
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:
I found a small bug: after hiding Neo/J, if it regain focus by command-tabbing (panther version, displaying a big app-bar centered on screen), rather than by clicking its icon in the dock, the window does not redraw. Swithing to an other app and back to Neo/J make it redraw. This is not a 100% reproductible bug (I'd say 75%). Easy to reproduce anyway.

This is a regression of bug #33. This redraw failure is caused by some Java 1.3.1 and Panther incompatibilities like the keyboard layout switching bug. I will take a look at this bug.

Max_Barel wrote:
On images resolution matter, I understand that the Java printing paradigm make impossible to generate PDF file including bitmap pictures, keeping their original pixels numbers, and adding other vectorized elements. Even with transparency disabled my 7 pages graphic file, which I'm now happy to print with Neo/J at 300 dpi, gives a 75Mo PDF file. The same file printed by OOo make a 5Mo PDF, with no wisible image degradation even at high zoom factor.

Actually, Java is able to handle bitmap images correctly. Although undocumented, the trick is that you set the printer page scale and then draw the unscaled image to the page. The latest NeoJ patch does this perfectly when there is only a single image on a page. However, it seems to not work when there are multiple images on the page. For example, if I create a single paged Writer document and put a single image in it, the PDF print file is 0.7 MB. However, if I copy and paste in a second copy of the same image right next to the first image, the PDF print file grows to 4.3 MB. Somthing is clearly wrong here that I need to look at. I can understand if your PDF file is maybe 10 MB in NeoJ, but 75 MB is really too large.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Actually, Java is able to handle bitmap images correctly. Although undocumented, the trick is that you set the printer page scale and then draw the unscaled image to the page. The latest NeoJ patch does this perfectly when there is only a single image on a page. However, it seems to not work when there are multiple images on the page. For example, if I create a single paged Writer document and put a single image in it, the PDF print file is 0.7 MB. However, if I copy and paste in a second copy of the same image right next to the first image, the PDF print file grows to 4.3 MB. Somthing is clearly wrong here that I need to look at. I can understand if your PDF file is maybe 10 MB in NeoJ, but 75 MB is really too large.

Yes, I saw, while testing, that with only one single image in a file, it works. Looking at the PDF code I can see the image size being the same pixel numbers as the original. I did not redo those tests with the last patch-11. With former, I also noticed that, depending of the "reduce bitmap" setting the image size can be smaller, which is ok, or bigger, wich is a waste of ressource. If you wish, I can try to reproduce this with the latest patch.
About the 75Mb PDF: If a single page with two instances of the same image (your test) gives a 4.3Mb file, it's not surprising that a 7 pages with around 3 images at 300dpi on each page, covering 70% to 90% of the page ends-up at 75Mb. The ratio is similar. If you can find why the "two instance" file don't works the whole problem would be solved, I think.
Max
Woody12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Patch

Ever since loading Neo/J patch 11 only the title bar at the top of the screens displays NeoOffice/J. No windows open....I did have a window open once but the window was blank.....I have left it run for 5min with no changes...the cpu is also idle...
Woody12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Redownload and install

Upon redownloading and installing the patch appears to have fixed the problems....all is well again!
ttmooney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Patch 11 (and 10) hangs neooffice/j

Woody12 wrote:
Ever since loading Neo/J patch 11 only the title bar at the top of the screens displays NeoOffice/J. No windows open....I did have a window open once but the window was blank.....I have left it run for 5min with no changes...the cpu is also idle...

I've been using Neooffice/J for a while now, and haven't had any problems up to and including patch 9.

When I applied patch 11, neooffice refuses to start. It brings up the title bar, but doesn't display the splash screen. It displays the same problem under patch 10. Reverting to patch 9 allows Neo/J to run as normal.

I tried a reinstall of .7, and then patch 10 and 11 in turn. I get the same problem.

Powerbook g4/1.25 1024/80 10.3.1, all consumer updates applied.

travis
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Patch

Woody12 wrote:

I had this problem also, when applying the patch-11 for the first time. My workaround was to reload patch-10 and then patch-11 again. I thought it was due to file system cache or something like this. In this case, a reboot should solve the problem. I tried ending session but not reboot so I'm not sure. Anyway since this behavior seems to be common, I wonder what is it?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject:

I always install patches (several times per day while developing) when NeoJ is not running. Maybe this has an effect?

While, in theory, you should be able to install a patch while NeoJ is running, I think that Apple's Java implementation keeps a cache of loaded jar files for running Java processes and maybe overwriting confuses the JVM since the patched jar file has the same classes but with different code. This may be why rebooting helps.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I think I found what may cause this deadlocking behavior. Apparently, the fix that I made for the Panther keyboard layout switching bug is very dependent on the fixed code executing before the Java event loop starts.

In most cases, the fixed code executes first and everything works. However, the Java event loop can sometimes execute first since it is in a separate thread and, in this case, Java (and NeoJ) will hang.

I have changed the code so that the fixed code is guaranteed to execute before the Java event loop starts. When I fix Max's print settings bug (bug #42), I will post a new patch.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I just posted "patch-12" here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7-patch-12.tar.gz

This patch has the following two changes from "patch-11":

1. I fixed bug #42 which was causing the native Page Setup and Print dialogs to unpredictably reset the selected printer page size.

2. I removed the thread execution order problem that caused NeoJ to sometimes hang on startup on Panther.

3. I fixed a problem that Jim reported where font matching during printing sometimes caused the wrong font to be printed.

4. I reduced the bloat in the size of PDF print files when there is more than one image on a page.

Item #4, unfortunately, only reduces bloat when all of the images are at low resolution. When images are high resolution (like in Max's documents), PDF print file size is still much larger than the PDF files generated by OOo X11.

I originally thought that the bloat was due to my hack that fixes a Java 1.3.1 printing bug. Basically, when there is more than one image, the hack is that I draw all of the images to a combined image and then draw the combined image to the printer page. However, I did some experimenting and found that if I disable this hack, the PDF file size is barely reduced. This leads me to believe that Java and or Mac OS X's core graphics subsytem is handling multiple images very similar to my hack and is creating and printing a combined image.

Let me know if you find any major problems.

Patrick
Woody12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Two Issues....

I have just loaded patch-12 and have noticed two issues:

1. The first title page for a presentation looks fine when viewing it in edit mode, but upon running the slide show it does not scale it properly to the screen size. The slide extends off of the screen on the right.

2. The short cut to enter slide show mode Command-F2 does not work.

Other than that so far it is ok.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I can't replicate either of these two problems. On both Jaguar and Panther, both the Command-F2 shortcut works and the presentations line up with the screen boundaries.

Is the Slide Show -> Slide Show menu item greyed out?

Patrick
Woody12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Issues...

I spent some more time and can only duplicate the problem of the title page of my slide in slide show mode going off of the page with one presentation that I have. I tried others and they have not problems...

As for the second issue I can enter slide show mode by simply selecting it from the menu. It is not greyed out. I have verified with many different presentations that the Command-F2 does not start the slide show....

Maybe it is my hardware configuration:

12" PowerBook w/10.3.2

The F2 key also is used to brighten the display when used with out any other keys pressed.

UPDATE: I just found out if I push fn-Command-F2 it will enter slide show mode.

[/img]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Issues...

Woody12 wrote:
I spent some more time and can only duplicate the problem of the title page of my slide in slide show mode going off of the page with one presentation that I have. I tried others and they have not problems...

When you say that the slide is "going off the screen", do you mean the the slide is begin sized larger than the screen. Or, do you mean that the slide it shifted to the right and the portion that is shifted off the screen appears on the left side of the screen?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6