Testing OpenOffice Release Candidates

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I realize that changing the menus is outside the scope of the NeoOffice project, but the menus do change with OpenOffice 2.0.

I know. And all OOo 2.0 menu changes automatically roll into NeoOffice 2.0. However, I have no intention on backporting OOo 2.0 changes into the next release of NeoOffice 1.2 as NeoOffice 1.2 is based on OOo 1.1.5 and will continue to be.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I realize that changing the menus is outside the scope of the NeoOffice project, but the menus do change with OpenOffice 2.0.

I know. And all OOo 2.0 menu changes automatically roll into NeoOffice 2.0. However, I have no intention on backporting OOo 2.0 changes into the next release of NeoOffice 1.2 as NeoOffice 1.2 is based on OOo 1.1.5 and will continue to be.

Ok. I got the message. Just wanted let you know that the menu was changing and some options are removed. I also just finished the smoketest.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Smoketest for en-US results

Ok. Here is the good, bad and the ugly:

Out of 139 tests required to be run, 127 passed outright. 8 had problems but are not showstoppers and four outright failed to perform per the smoketest.

The Java applet non-display is not what I would call a show stopper. I use Mozilla/Firefox/Safari to do this. Why don't the folks at OpenOffice do this?

The macro record/playback using a function key is interesting, but I could not use the key that they recommended. I consider this more a failure of the smoketest rather than a failure of the test.

The ability to fail to provide a conversion document for a older European currency to Euros is again not a show stopper and only exists for the newest spreadsheet version.

The last is what I consider a major flaw and only exists for the Mac. The ability to send a document to a mail program, be it Mail, Thunderbird or any other mailer fails. Of course, you could always call up your mailer and then compose a message and attach your file. However, folks will try to use this 'feature' and find out that it does not work. This feature does work on the Solaris/Linux/Windows releases. Lastly, there is an IZ on this and a fix may be in the 2.0.2 release.

And here is my judgement: It is a release. However, the last feature should be disabled until it is fixed.

James
EJ
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: 2.0.1 RC5 on OS X (X11)

I've been running 2.0.1 RC5 on OS X for the last week or so. Here are my observations:

Impress seems unstable, but generally usable. I've seen some crashes after inserting files from other presentations, for example.

Calc is pretty solid. There is an annoying bug with formatting getting applied to subsequent (unselected) lines, following a newline character inside a cell. Also, I've seen some weirdness with Data->Outline functionality. The +/- buttons for showing and hiding columns sometimes disappear completely. Oh, and sometimes Calc doesn't pick up that I've switched Caps Lock on/off. If I hit the key a few times, the application (or X) will eventually see the correct Caps Lock status, but it's annoying.

I may rollback to 2.0.0 RC3, but I don't know yet...
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0.1 RC5 on OS X (X11)

EJ wrote:
Impress seems unstable, but generally usable. I've seen some crashes after inserting files from other presentations, for example.

Calc is pretty solid.

It is my humble experience that software tends to reflect the characteristics of people use them or what they are used for most. This is because you see the same in MS Office: Powerpoint is the most buggy and unreliable of the applications. And Excel is the only one with real logic to it. Word is just needlessly fussy and complicated.

I think it is because Powerpoint is used most often by management/process consultants and other flaky types to show beautiful stories that never hold up under close examination <disclaimer: I used to work as such a consultant>. Similarly, Word is made for people who write too much.

Best wishes,
Oscar (feeling Taoist today)

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0.1 RC5 on OS X (X11)

EJ wrote:
I've been running 2.0.1 RC5 on OS X for the last week or so. Here are my observations:

This needs to go into the IssueZilla at OpenOffice.org.

EJ wrote:

Calc is pretty solid. There is an annoying bug with formatting getting applied to subsequent (unselected) lines, following a newline character inside a cell. Also, I've seen some weirdness with Data->Outline functionality. The +/- buttons for showing and hiding columns sometimes disappear completely.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will test and bug if necessary.

EJ wrote:

Oh, and sometimes Calc doesn't pick up that I've switched Caps Lock on/off. If I hit the key a few times, the application (or X) will eventually see the correct Caps Lock status, but it's annoying.

This is definately an open bug with OpenOffice. You get a sequence like:
aAAAaAAAa

EJ wrote:

I may rollback to 2.0.0 RC3, but I don't know yet...

If you feel comfortable with the anomolies of 2.0.0rc3, then use it. There are many fixes to OpenOffice in 2.0.1rc5.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2