Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bad font rendering/missing anti-aliasing in Openoffice 2.0
Bad font rendering/missing anti-aliasing in Openoffice 2.0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Bad font rendering/missing anti-aliasing in Openoffice 2.0

Hello,

I just updated from OpenOffice 1.1.4 to 2.0 (on 10.3) and had no problems with installing. The 1.1.4 user data and fonts were converted automatically.
However, when I compare the font display in 2.0 with the older version, the fonts look very rough (missing anti-aliasing?). Also, the space between characters seems to be calculated worse than in 1.1.4.
The difference is very noticeable when I run both 1.1.4 and 2.0 the same time with the same text document.
In addition, 2.0 starts significantly slower than 1.1.4 (but surely due to extended functionality).

Do I have to adjust special settings to improve font display or is this a technical problem of the new 2.0 version?

Thanks a lot,
Peter
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad font rendering/missing anti-aliasing in Openoffice 2

velo wrote:
Hello,

I just updated from OpenOffice 1.1.4 to 2.0 (on 10.3) and had no problems with installing. The 1.1.4 user data and fonts were converted automatically.
However, when I compare the font display in 2.0 with the older version, the fonts look very rough (missing anti-aliasing?). Also, the space between characters seems to be calculated worse than in 1.1.4.
The difference is very noticeable when I run both 1.1.4 and 2.0 the same time with the same text document.
In addition, 2.0 starts significantly slower than 1.1.4 (but surely due to extended functionality).

Do I have to adjust special settings to improve font display or is this a technical problem of the new 2.0 version?

This may be due to the fact that OpenOffice.org may/may not include Fondu which converts TrueType fonts to a format that the Mac can read. Also, there is a feature that does not function correctly on the Mac called kerning which adjusts spacing between characters.

Both are know issues are are being worked on.

Also, which font are you using?

James
velo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:

Hello James,

I finally solved the problem.
I'm using an ordinary Times New Roman font which I imported by fondu and the 1.1.4 "OOo_Admin" program, but it was missing in 2.0.1 (and therefore substituted by some similiar font without using anti-aliasing).
OpenOffice 2.0.1 seems to convert the Mac systems fonts automatically with fondu, althought some like Arial are missing and have to be added manually. Maybe, fondu can't handle all font files properly or the Arial font file isn't 100% correct.
To add a new font to OpenOffice, I copy the new .ttf or .bdf files to
OpenOffice.org\ 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/share/fonts/truetype
and restart OpenOffice. There also may be a path unter the users home directory where you can copy the files.

> This may be due to the fact that OpenOffice.org may/may not include > Fondu which converts TrueType fonts to a format that the Mac can read

What do you mean by that? In my opinion, Mac OS X itself can deal with true type fonts, but OpenOffice and X11 handle fonts separately, so fondu installs Mac OS fonts into OpenOffice.

I appreciate that the Mac "kerning" problem is adressed, because I think, OpenOffice is great, portable and international opensource application.

Best regards,
Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1