· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX
Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX

Hi,

Could someone please help me out:

I downloaded Open Office 2.0 from:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.0rc3.html>>>>>>
then I clicked on Australia: HTTP: Pacific Internet

Once the download finished it appeared on my screen as a removeable device.

I opend this and copied 'OpenOffice.org 2.0' to my applications.

When I tried to open the file it opens as an executiable script saved as an application.

I then thought that I did not have X11 on my computer so I downloaded it from the mac website. When I tried to install this it came up with a message telling me that I had a newer copy of X11.

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!

Thanks

BenD

PS: I am new user to mac and dont know much about them so wat is the 'splash screen?'
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX

BenD wrote:

When I tried to open the file it opens as an executiable script saved as an application.

I then thought that I did not have X11 on my computer so I downloaded it from the mac website. When I tried to install this it came up with a message telling me that I had a newer copy of X11.

PS: I am new user to mac and dont know much about them so wat is the 'splash screen?'

Well, since you are evidently a newbie, consider stcking to NeoOffice. OpenOffice 2.0 is *not* available in a release version right now, so feel free to stay away from beta versions software.

(forgive me, but we get hordes of new mac users here who appear to be in just a little over their heads).

A splash screen is a picture, usually with a progress bar that appears while an application is loading, before the actual application windows comes up. Adobe is quite famous for them.

As you are a new mac user, you probably have Mac OSX Tiger (10.4) installed. The web version is for Panther. You will find X11 for Tiger on your installer DVD.

As for the script, I think that is the way it is supposed to happen. Lots of things have to be prepared for the binary to run and that's what scripts are for (anyone feel free to correct me here).

Assuming your download is legitimate and not replaced with some rootkit, just let it run. All of the other steps seemed in order.

Cicade
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

hallo mac newbie, if u use safari for downloads, Safari will guide you through the download.
other browsers do not make it very simpple and easy for newbies.
Cicade
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX

BenD wrote:
Hi,

I downloaded Open Office 2.0 from:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.0rc3.html>>>>>>
then I clicked on Australia: HTTP: Pacific Internet

Once the download finished it appeared on my screen as a removeable device.

I opend this and copied 'OpenOffice.org 2.0' to my applications.

Which version of Mac OS X are you using (Panther, which is 10.3, or Tiger, which is 10.4)?

If you are using Tiger, locate the Installation DVD and pop it in your drive. When the Install screen comes up move down the screen and you will see an item named "Optional Installs". Click on it. You should get a selection of items which you can now install. Locate the X11 item and double click on it. An installer window should open. Go throught the installation and X11 should now be installed. Go to the Applications window and try to run OpenOffice.org again. It should now work.

BenD wrote:

It is a window with the products name in it. OpenOffice.org's will state OpenOffice2. It will also have a bar that shows program load progress at the bottom.

James
frectis
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I am almost completely crazed Twisted Evil after d/l Open Office 2.0.1, X11 from my DVD, and Fondu (060102; Jan. '06 build). I would love, love, love it if someone could share the secret to configuring (?), installing (?) Fondu so I can convert fonts for use with OO. I have no idea where Fondu is supposed to go. I am not a new Mac user, but am a new user with this dual platform OS. I am also not an experienced OO user having been slapped by MS for several years now (my husband is but uses in on WinXP and doesn't have these issues). I am able to run OO and use the plain installed fonts, but like every other message on the topic, want to use my full range of fonts.

If this is any help, I have not been able to successfully set up a spadmin command in X11. I can't figure out why because I do everything the pages say and my screen matches the screen captures detailing the instructions.

Gracias!
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

frectis wrote:
I am almost completely crazed Twisted Evil after d/l Open Office 2.0.1, X11 from my DVD, and Fondu (060102; Jan. '06 build). I would love, love, love it if someone could share the secret to configuring (?), installing (?) Fondu so I can convert fonts for use with OO. I have no idea where Fondu is supposed to go. I am not a new Mac user, but am a new user with this dual platform OS. I am also not an experienced OO user having been slapped by MS for several years now (my husband is but uses in on WinXP and doesn't have these issues). I am able to run OO and use the plain installed fonts, but like every other message on the topic, want to use my full range of fonts.

Hopefully, eric bachard can help with this. I thought that Fondu was built into OpenOffice, but this may have been withdrawn on the release candidate versions.

frectis wrote:

If this is any help, I have not been able to successfully set up a spadmin command in X11. I can't figure out why because I do everything the pages say and my screen matches the screen captures detailing the instructions.

spadmin is NOT required with or enable with the Mac OS X version. If you run a print job, it should go through the CUPS interface where you can select a printer for each print job.

James
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:

the fondu code was pulled out of the .app for this release, there is talk of putting it back in for the 2.0.2 release.

basically, you run your fonts through fondu and then move the converted files into the .app. unfortunatly i've never actually done that myself (with 1.1 Start OpenOffice.org did it for us) so i'd have to look into specifics.

edit:

inside of the .app file (right click, 'show package contents') the fonts, once converted will go here:

Contents/openoffice.org2.0/share/truetype

fondu may create files with a .bdf extension, these will NOT be used by OpenOffice, so don't bother moving them.
frectis
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
the fondu code was pulled out of the .app for this release, there is talk of putting it back in for the 2.0.2 release.

basically, you run your fonts through fondu and then move the converted files into the .app. unfortunatly i've never actually done that myself (with 1.1 Start OpenOffice.org did it for us) so i'd have to look into specifics.

edit:

inside of the .app file (right click, 'show package contents') the fonts, once converted will go here:

Contents/openoffice.org2.0/share/truetype

fondu may create files with a .bdf extension, these will NOT be used by OpenOffice, so don't bother moving them.

I guess I am not as savvy as I thought I was. Embarassed I can't even figure out how to install fondu let alone access the program file. I d/l a zipped fondu file and now I have a folder on my desktop that has no file inside that will initiate an installation or configuration process. I can drag it into the applications folder but it doesn't do anything there either. So I am not sure how to get started with Fondu before I even attempt to ask you how to right click on a Mac.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

right clicking is done by ctrl-klick
net_buoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: fondu

after installing fondu (which gets stuck in usr/local/bin)
you can open a terminal session and cd to where your system fonts are located (/Library/Fonts ??) Then you can do a ./fondu * and that will probably get you to where you need to go.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1