Welcome to NeoOffice developer notes and announcements
NeoOffice
Developer notes and announcements
 
 

Download or installation problems? Try these steps
Problems after upgrading to NeoOffice 2017? Try these steps


Support
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki


Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice


Downloads
· Download NeoOffice


RSS Feeds
· Announcements Only
· All Posts


  
NeoOffice :: View topic - Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX
Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BenD
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX Reply with quote

Hi,

Could someone please help me out:

I downloaded Open Office 2.0 from:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.0rc3.html>>>>>>
then I clicked on Australia: HTTP: Pacific Internet

Once the download finished it appeared on my screen as a removeable device.

I opend this and copied 'OpenOffice.org 2.0' to my applications.

When I tried to open the file it opens as an executiable script saved as an application.

I then thought that I did not have X11 on my computer so I downloaded it from the mac website. When I tried to install this it came up with a message telling me that I had a newer copy of X11.

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!

Thanks

BenD

PS: I am new user to mac and dont know much about them so wat is the 'splash screen?'
Back to top
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi


Joined: Sep 13, 2004
Posts: 2352
Location: Zürich, CH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX Reply with quote

BenD wrote:
Could someone please help me out:

When I tried to open the file it opens as an executiable script saved as an application.

I then thought that I did not have X11 on my computer so I downloaded it from the mac website. When I tried to install this it came up with a message telling me that I had a newer copy of X11.

PS: I am new user to mac and dont know much about them so wat is the 'splash screen?'


Well, since you are evidently a newbie, consider stcking to NeoOffice. OpenOffice 2.0 is *not* available in a release version right now, so feel free to stay away from beta versions software.

(forgive me, but we get hordes of new mac users here who appear to be in just a little over their heads).

A splash screen is a picture, usually with a progress bar that appears while an application is loading, before the actual application windows comes up. Adobe is quite famous for them.

As you are a new mac user, you probably have Mac OSX Tiger (10.4) installed. The web version is for Panther. You will find X11 for Tiger on your installer DVD.

As for the script, I think that is the way it is supposed to happen. Lots of things have to be prepared for the binary to run and that's what scripts are for (anyone feel free to correct me here).

Assuming your download is legitimate and not replaced with some rootkit, just let it run. All of the other steps seemed in order.

_________________
"What do you think of Western Civilization?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cicade
Blue Pill


Joined: Jan 28, 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hallo mac newbie, if u use safari for downloads, Safari will guide you through the download.
other browsers do not make it very simpple and easy for newbies.
Cicade
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly


Joined: Apr 01, 2005
Posts: 1055
Location: Southeastern Arizona

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 on Mac OSX Reply with quote

BenD wrote:
Hi,

Could someone please help me out:

I downloaded Open Office 2.0 from:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.0rc3.html>>>>>>
then I clicked on Australia: HTTP: Pacific Internet

Once the download finished it appeared on my screen as a removeable device.

I opend this and copied 'OpenOffice.org 2.0' to my applications.

When I tried to open the file it opens as an executiable script saved as an application.

I then thought that I did not have X11 on my computer so I downloaded it from the mac website. When I tried to install this it came up with a message telling me that I had a newer copy of X11.


Which version of Mac OS X are you using (Panther, which is 10.3, or Tiger, which is 10.4)?

If you are using Tiger, locate the Installation DVD and pop it in your drive. When the Install screen comes up move down the screen and you will see an item named "Optional Installs". Click on it. You should get a selection of items which you can now install. Locate the X11 item and double click on it. An installer window should open. Go throught the installation and X11 should now be installed. Go to the Applications window and try to run OpenOffice.org again. It should now work.

BenD wrote:

PS: I am new user to mac and dont know much about them so wat is the 'splash screen?'


It is a window with the products name in it. OpenOffice.org's will state OpenOffice2. It will also have a bar that shows program load progress at the bottom.

James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frectis
Blue Pill


Joined: Feb 19, 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost completely crazed Twisted Evil after d/l Open Office 2.0.1, X11 from my DVD, and Fondu (060102; Jan. '06 build). I would love, love, love it if someone could share the secret to configuring (?), installing (?) Fondu so I can convert fonts for use with OO. I have no idea where Fondu is supposed to go. I am not a new Mac user, but am a new user with this dual platform OS. I am also not an experienced OO user having been slapped by MS for several years now (my husband is but uses in on WinXP and doesn't have these issues). I am able to run OO and use the plain installed fonts, but like every other message on the topic, want to use my full range of fonts.

If this is any help, I have not been able to successfully set up a spadmin command in X11. I can't figure out why because I do everything the pages say and my screen matches the screen captures detailing the instructions.

Gracias!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly


Joined: Apr 01, 2005
Posts: 1055
Location: Southeastern Arizona

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frectis wrote:
I am almost completely crazed Twisted Evil after d/l Open Office 2.0.1, X11 from my DVD, and Fondu (060102; Jan. '06 build). I would love, love, love it if someone could share the secret to configuring (?), installing (?) Fondu so I can convert fonts for use with OO. I have no idea where Fondu is supposed to go. I am not a new Mac user, but am a new user with this dual platform OS. I am also not an experienced OO user having been slapped by MS for several years now (my husband is but uses in on WinXP and doesn't have these issues). I am able to run OO and use the plain installed fonts, but like every other message on the topic, want to use my full range of fonts.


Hopefully, eric bachard can help with this. I thought that Fondu was built into OpenOffice, but this may have been withdrawn on the release candidate versions.

frectis wrote:

If this is any help, I have not been able to successfully set up a spadmin command in X11. I can't figure out why because I do everything the pages say and my screen matches the screen captures detailing the instructions.


spadmin is NOT required with or enable with the Mac OS X version. If you run a print job, it should go through the CUPS interface where you can select a printer for each print job.

James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja


Joined: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 1373

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fondu code was pulled out of the .app for this release, there is talk of putting it back in for the 2.0.2 release.

basically, you run your fonts through fondu and then move the converted files into the .app. unfortunatly i've never actually done that myself (with 1.1 Start OpenOffice.org did it for us) so i'd have to look into specifics.

edit:

inside of the .app file (right click, 'show package contents') the fonts, once converted will go here:

Contents/openoffice.org2.0/share/truetype

fondu may create files with a .bdf extension, these will NOT be used by OpenOffice, so don't bother moving them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frectis
Blue Pill


Joined: Feb 19, 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakeOSX wrote:
the fondu code was pulled out of the .app for this release, there is talk of putting it back in for the 2.0.2 release.

basically, you run your fonts through fondu and then move the converted files into the .app. unfortunatly i've never actually done that myself (with 1.1 Start OpenOffice.org did it for us) so i'd have to look into specifics.

edit:

inside of the .app file (right click, 'show package contents') the fonts, once converted will go here:

Contents/openoffice.org2.0/share/truetype

fondu may create files with a .bdf extension, these will NOT be used by OpenOffice, so don't bother moving them.


I guess I am not as savvy as I thought I was. Embarassed I can't even figure out how to install fondu let alone access the program file. I d/l a zipped fondu file and now I have a folder on my desktop that has no file inside that will initiate an installation or configuration process. I can drag it into the applications folder but it doesn't do anything there either. So I am not sure how to get started with Fondu before I even attempt to ask you how to right click on a Mac.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun


Joined: Nov 28, 2005
Posts: 299
Location: Near Frankfurt/M. Germany

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right clicking is done by ctrl-klick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
net_buoy
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: fondu Reply with quote

after installing fondu (which gets stuck in usr/local/bin)
you can open a terminal session and cd to where your system fonts are located (/Library/Fonts ??) Then you can do a ./fondu * and that will probably get you to where you need to go.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Planamesa Inc.
NeoOffice is a registered trademark of Planamesa Inc. and may not be used without permission.
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.03 Seconds