· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 0.7.1 patch is available
NeoOffice/J 0.7.1 patch is available

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J 0.7.1 patch is available

All,

Since there were a couple of bugs in the NeoOffice/J 0.7.1 release that caused crashes, I have posted "patch-1" that contains some needed bug fixes. Here is a list of the changes that are in this patch:

1. NeoJ will no longer crash at startup if you have disabled fonts in the FontBook application. Also, if you disable any fonts in FontBook while NeoJ is running, NeoJ will no longer crash and will use the default system font.

2. Asian keyboard input is now "on-the-spot". The floating input window no longer appears when using an Asian keyboard. Instead, text is handled in the NeoJ window like most other Mac OS X applications. This fixes the Traditional Chinese keyboard problems thta have been noted. This fixes bug #30.

3. NeoJ will no longer appear to hang while printing. This fixes bug #52.

I also included fixes for bugs #33, #49, and #51.

If you are interested in testing the new patch, you can download the lastest patch binaries and install them in an existing NeoOffice/J 0.7.1 installation using the following steps.

- If you have not already installed NeoOffice/J 0.7.1, download and install it from:
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php
- Download the latest patch binaries from:
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7.1-patch-1.tar.gz
- Open a new terminal and execute the following commands to unzip the file:
Code:
cd <NeoJ installation directory>/NeoOfficeJ.app
sudo tar zxvf <path to downloaded *.tar.gz file>

Please reopen any of the bugs in Bugzilla that do not seem to be fixed with this patch.
Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick, just tested some of the fixes and I've added comments to the relevant bugs. Biggest problem is that #33 still isn't fixed for me if I have more than one window open at a time - the frontmost document is completely blank still after showing from a hidden state.

I repeated the printing of the test .html document for #52 and this time there were no delays.

Windows and open/save dialogues are remembering their locations and sizes between sessions (bug #44)... which is great, and the Open/Save dialogues are now opening always on screen (there is one tiny issue to do with maximised windows and Open/Save dialogues which I have added as a comment to the bug #51).

All in all, though, excellent stuff Very Happy

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Hey Patrick:

Nice job catching the font error.

This got me thinking: Neo/J is starting to look quite complete, with reasonable performance. IMHO, if you could add copy/paste to the Mac OS X clipboard, it would seem you've got a 1.0 release, feature wise.

What do you/everybody else think?

glenn
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject:

well, numberwise, i always envisioned copy/paste to be the graduation criteria to n/j 0.8... (but that is just numbers anyway)

however, i will agree that once copy/paste is availible that N/J would be ready for the spotlight (one of the reasons i've been trying to organize the mirrors and documentation, so we can support a broader user group)

and as always, great work Patrick, keep it up (and let us know what we can do to help)

-j
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Of the 6 currently open bugs I would suggest that these 4 would need to be fixed in order to go to a 1.0 version:

NeoJ documents have a generic icon
Text Drag not supported
Neo/J should use Java 1.4.1
Cut/Paste to system Clipboard

Of course, that's not to say that more people won't file addtl bugs as they use it more.

After that, is on to Neo/J 1.1 baseline.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I appreciate the compliments about the current release and I admit it is part of the reason that I keep working on NeoJ. But aren't we jumping ahead a little bit? I mean let's be realistic, there is only one middle-aged guy working in his pajamas who is developing this. Smile

But seriously, why is Java 1.4.1 critical? With the performance improvements that I have made to Java 1.3.1, I don't see any obvious difference in performance when I swap in Java 1.4.1.

Patrick
Apricot
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject:

'Java 1.4.1' looks cooler on the box.

But seriously, I don't think we need it for a public release. In the long run, it sounds like Apple is no longer seriously testing 1.3.1.

If we gave NeoJ a lot more publicity, e.g. its own Slashdot/MacSlash story, we could probably scrape up a couple more programmers to contribute hours...

If I were a younger man, this would be my excuse to learn Java...

- Ap
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject:

Apricot wrote:
But seriously, I don't think we need it for a public release. In the long run, it sounds like Apple is no longer seriously testing 1.3.1.

From what I've seen, I don't think that they are seriously testing 1.4.1 either. Usually, when I find a bug like the FontBook or keyboard layout switching problem, I try running NeoJ with 1.4.1 and I usually just as broken as 1.3.1.

I think what happens is that cool new Mac OS X features are being pushed into Panther faster that Apple's Java team can handle them. Sad

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject:

Hmm.

well, i knew at one point enough java to make applets based on Aerospace equations. So if that can ever be a help...

but i could try to make icons.

And i am still working on the help files, i got sidetracked when the ibook died, but i'll be back on track soon... i hope.

-j

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject:

Patrick, idle speculation but have you tested the Java 1.4.2 developer previews Apple have got on the ADC site as they just released a new one the other week. They will overwrite your 1.4.1 installation but it sounds you don't use it much anyway!
nedrichards
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject:

er sorry Patrick the message above way from me, forgot to login.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject:

Apple replaced carbon with cocoa in 1.4.1 - a rather big chunk of new work, particularily for GUI stuff. So, I'm not that surprised that its still a little dicey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: install patch

Hello, I can´t install the patch. What shall I do?
I type in Terminal ./setup, I make a dobbleclick.

Thanks from Hamburg, Germany

Goldbeker
Apricot
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Installation:

Don't ungzip the file in your Download folder. Follow the posted instructions exactly:

- If you have not already installed NeoOffice/J 0.7.1, download and install it from:
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php
- Download the latest patch binaries from:
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7.1-patch-1.tar.gz
- Open a new terminal and execute the following commands to unzip the file:

Code:
cd <NeoJ installation directory>/NeoOfficeJ.app
sudo tar zxvf <path to downloaded *.tar.gz file>

For instance, I download the patches to ~/Incoming. I then
Code:
cd /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app
and then
Code:
 sudo tar zxvf ~/Incoming/NeoOfficeJ-0.7.1-patch-5.tar.gz

Good luck! - Apricot
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: This is probably really stupid

But when I download the .tar.gz file it automatically expands it into a .tar file and I can't seem to stop it.

I was wondering if anyone could help me??
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2