Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problem with getting Openoffice to work on Mac OS 10.4.4
Problem with getting Openoffice to work on Mac OS 10.4.4

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Problem with getting Openoffice to work on Mac OS 10.4.4

I'm new with mac. How does I install openoffice so that it works on my pb? I thought I installed it...but when I start the application it only appears for a few seconds in the dock and then it disappears again and nothing happen. What have I done wrong?

The app. is located on my mainscreen (desktop?) Should I put it in the program folder?

Waldo
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with getting Openoffice to work on Mac OS 10.4.4

Waldo P. wrote:
I'm new with mac. How does I install openoffice so that it works on my pb? I thought I installed it...but when I start the application it only appears for a few seconds in the dock and then it disappears again and nothing happen. What have I done wrong?

The app. is located on my mainscreen (desktop?) Should I put it in the program folder?

Installing the latest patch and rebooting your Mac might be the easiest thing to try. I have two other thoughts:

1. Did you start the application from another folder on an earlier occasion before this problem started? In that case the problem should go away by trashing your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x folder (use the Finder). The application remembers where it was and you would have to change the settings. You could search the forum for info on how to change the paths if you don't feel like throwing away your settings.

2. Something is wrong with your permissions. Go to terminal, go inside the NeoOffice.app package folder and go to NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/. Then do "sudo chmod +x soffice.bin" (you will be probably prompted for a password. Note that this is for seasoned computer users and you may not feel comfortable in the shell command line interface. If you do not understand what is in the lines above this, do not try it.

Using a maintenance program (look in the Apple OSX software listing for one, I use an autmomator script that was a featured download a month ago or something) and repairing permissions might also work.

If anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to shoot.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with getting Openoffice to work on Mac OS 10.4.4

ovvldc wrote:
Installing the latest patch and rebooting your Mac might be the easiest thing to try. I have two other thoughts:

1. Did you start the application from another folder on an earlier occasion before this problem started? In that case the problem should go away by trashing your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x folder (use the Finder). The application remembers where it was and you would have to change the settings. You could search the forum for info on how to change the paths if you don't feel like throwing away your settings.

2. Something is wrong with your permissions. Go to terminal, go inside the NeoOffice.app package folder and go to NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/. Then do "sudo chmod +x soffice.bin" (you will be probably prompted for a password. Note that this is for seasoned computer users and you may not feel comfortable in the shell command line interface. If you do not understand what is in the lines above this, do not try it.

Using a maintenance program (look in the Apple OSX software listing for one, I use an autmomator script that was a featured download a month ago or something) and repairing permissions might also work.

If anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to shoot.

I believe that the original poster has installed OpenOffice.org 2.0 X11, not NeoOffice. So, I don't think the above advice does not apply as OpenOffice.org 2.0 X11 has no "patches", etc.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with getting Openoffice to work on Mac OS 10.4.4

pluby wrote:
I believe that the original poster has installed OpenOffice.org 2.0 X11, not NeoOffice. So, I don't think the above advice does not apply as OpenOffice.org 2.0 X11 has no "patches", etc.

Very true. I realised that after I posted. I spent the greater part of the day sick in bed, so that may be why I failed to take this into account.

The permissions part may still apply. I do wonder if the poster has X11 installed. I wonder if anything from the readme in this forum had any effect.

Oscar
(still not feeling well)

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

it sounds like you do not have x11 installed. the read-me at the top of this forum will be a help to you, as would the FAQ. hope that helps, enjoy openoffice!

-j
skaar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

when i tried to start openoffice 1.1.4 under macOS 10.4.5 with X11 ( i belive version 1.1.1?) i got the follow errors:-

1) something with bus error (soffice line 27xx)

when i tried to start sudo ./soffice:

2) bus and script error

can u help?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

skaar wrote:
when i tried to start openoffice 1.1.4 under macOS 10.4.5 with X11 ( i belive version 1.1.1?) i got the follow errors:-

1) something with bus error (soffice line 27xx)

when i tried to start sudo ./soffice:

soffice CANNOT be run as root or using sudo. You must start soffice after starting X11 if you so wish to do so.

skaar wrote:

2) bus and script error

How is this happening? Are you clicking on the OpenOffice application AFTER moving it to the Applications folder? Which version and what is the file name of the OpenOffice.org program you are trying to use?

Please provide answers to the questions above.

Thank you.

James
Builder/Tester
Member Mac OS X porting team/QA team, OpenOffice
skaar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject:

first of all, this error come on the first initial start from OOo.

i tried to use openoffice version 1.1.4 panther and the x11 system was still running when i clicked on the startOOo.app in the OOo-Folder
(beginOOo.app and OOoAdmin also wont work). Allways resulting a bus error or script error (mostly that i can't change a script)

sudo i tried at last at console (cause one time there was a error with rights to change script - i was loged in as admin ?) and i got an error with bus and install.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject:

skaar wrote:
first of all, this error come on the first initial start from OOo.

i tried to use openoffice version 1.1.4 panther and the x11 system was still running when i clicked on the startOOo.app in the OOo-Folder
(beginOOo.app and OOoAdmin also wont work). Allways resulting a bus error or script error (mostly that i can't change a script)

I have a question, why are you trying to use a very old version of OpenOffice? I would suggest using OpenOffice 2.0.1, if you can. The OpenOffice 1.1.x line is no longer maintained, except bug fixes.

skaar wrote:

sudo i tried at last at console (cause one time there was a error with rights to change script - i was loged in as admin ?) and i got an error with bus and install.

This explains why you used sudo. I don't know why you could not change the script or why the script gave you an error.

James

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

cause ive still downloaded it at school and have a 56k modem at home Very Happy, i'll try the new version and hope it will work, thnx for help Cool
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1