Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OO.o won't open
OO.o won't open

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: OO.o won't open

I just downloaded OO.o version 2.0 and installed X11 on my iBook running OS X 10.4.5 and restarted. I then double-clicked the OO.o icon and the menubar changed to OO.o - briefly - then it disappeared, giving no error message. The directions said:
Open the application. A sequence of events should happen.
1. An X11 console window will open.
2.. The OpenOffice 2.0 'splash' screen is displayed. Along the bottom of the splash screen is a status bar that will fill as the application launches.
3. An OpenOffice Writer window is presented.
4. Now you can start using OpenOffice.org X11!

None of these happened! After reading the recommended FAQs and not even understanding a lot of it, I'm wondering whether I should just give up. One recomommendation was to start OO.o from the Terminal, bit I don't want to have to deal with that! Another said to check the Console and open the log, but when I looked there, there were TWO logs listed - one for the console and one for the system, and I don't know which one they meant! I wandered around and eventually found a "soffice.bin.crash.log" which seems to be saying:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/libvcl680mxp.dylib
Reason: image not found

HUH??? From what I had read before deciding to download, I thought that OO.o was going to run without having to deal with the UNIX interface. Was this an incorrect conclusion? I really have no interest in having to learn about the console or terminal or whatever. I just want to run the program.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

a few things:

this looks familiar, i think someone else had a similar problem, i'll see if i can find it.

if you do not need any of the oo.o2.0 features, i invite you to install neooffice, it is openoffice.org 1.1.5 but does not use x11.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OO.o won't open

Jayell wrote:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/libvcl680mxp.dylib
Reason: image not found

HUH??? From what I had read before deciding to download, I thought that OO.o was going to run without having to deal with the UNIX interface. Was this an incorrect conclusion? I really have no interest in having to learn about the console or terminal or whatever. I just want to run the program.

Ok. I support both OpenOffice.org 2.0 and NeoOffice.

1. OpenOffice.org requires the use of X11, the "UNIX" interface. If you do not want to use X11, then you will NOT be able to use OpenOffice.org until the Max Aqua port is available. This may be in about six months.
2 NeoOffice 1.2 does not use X11 but is a very good, independent, port of OpenOffice 1.1.5 to the Mac Aqua interface. The file picker still has a UNIX appearance, but most of the other functionality is very Mac-like. There is an effort underway to move this port to the OpenOffice 2.0.2 code base but any alpha/beta level release is at least one month away.

Both products support the same functionality as their UNIX/Windows counterparts. Now, which product you use is up to you. We are here to support YOU the user no matter which product you select and use.

James
Jayell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OO.o won't open

Thanks guys! Smile

James said: 1. OpenOffice.org requires the use of X11, the "UNIX" interface.

From the directions that I quoted at the beginning of this thread, it sounded as if OO.o would just open and start running.

James said: 2 NeoOffice 1.2 does not use X11 but is a very good, independent, port of OpenOffice 1.1.5 to the Mac Aqua interface. [snip] Both products support the same functionality as their UNIX/Windows counterparts.

(Never mind that I have no idea what an Aqua interface is even AFTER reading the FAQ about it.) However, does using an older version of OO mean that if people using later versions and/or later versions from non-Mac platforms send me files, I won't be able to open them? I'm trying this because I'm the Mac resource person for a group creating some help files for people using a particular web site, and we are having trouble exchanging files via e-mail for editing purposes. If I won't be able to read their attached files, OO isn't going to work for us.

James said: The file picker still has a UNIX appearance, but most of the other functionality is very Mac-like.

This would be the equivalent of the File/OpenFile... dialog window?

James said: Now, which product you use is up to you. We are here to support YOU the user no matter which product you select and use.

Thanks - this is really a great idea, and a VERY ambitious project!
Jayell
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:

the file formats will be compatible between versions of openoffice.org from any platform and both oo.ox11 and neooffice.

the ONLY exception is ODT files. this is the new file that oo.o2.0 makes. Neooffice can open and read these, but cannot save as ODT. OO.o2.0 can read anything neooffice can save to, though.
Jayell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

OK, I've just spent 20 minutes trying to find out what an OTD file is, and I finally found "OpenDocument Text *.odt file". This sounds as if it would be a basic file type for OO, so are you saying that NeoOffice cannot save in this format? If so, what format does it save in?

Is there a glossary somewhere that defines the terms used in the Open Office project?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Jayell wrote:
OK, I've just spent 20 minutes trying to find out what an OTD file is, and I finally found "OpenDocument Text *.odt file". This sounds as if it would be a basic file type for OO, so are you saying that NeoOffice cannot save in this format? If so, what format does it save in?

OpenDocument format files were introduced in OOo 2.0. Up through OOo 1.1.5, OOo (and, by extension, NeoOffice) saved files with a .sxw, .sxc, .sxi, and .sxd extensions. Although OpenDocument files are very, very similar to the old .sx* files, they are different. Fortunately, when OOo changed default file formats, they left in the ability to read and write their old .sx* formats.

Patrick
sxealex
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: I have the same exact problem on my factory installed ibook.

I have the same exact problem on my factory installed ibook. It supposed comes with x11 preinstalled and x11 apps are supposed to launch straight from the finder. so i dunno what the deal is. I don't really wanna use neo office. I have it on my g4 at home and its a bit laggy... was hoping this would be better. any ideas?
-lex
sxealex
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: scratch that

i just reinstalled x11 from the system cd and it worked... i think the other installer i had was lying Wink
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject:

unfortunatly a successful x11 install isn't always that sucessful =)

glad it works though.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1